Raith Rovers vs Queen of the South

We were lacking a clinical finisher and a creative player in the middle. Unfortunately, Vaughan is both. 

You can't fault them for effort, and they did create some chances, but there's just not the quality in certain areas. 

One of those games where the substitutions made us worse, too. I think the change at half time was a fair one, but putting on McKay went exactly as you'd expect. I don't know why McGlynn thought that was the best of all his options. 

Queens had no intention of coming out second half (and rightly so, as evidenced by the result), we didn't need to introduce a centre half. Mitchell would've been a better bet just for knowing how to attack. 

We need much, much more out of Dick. When you see the positions that Tumilty gets into, he's not pulling his weight. 

If we were going to score today, it was going to be Zanatta creating it and probably finishing it too. Once they let Johnson go and play with his trains and got Gibson to cover Dario instead, we didn't have a second route to goal. 

Very, very frustrating. The lack of guile and spark we have is largely because of injuries, and the loan market is very hit and miss, but it really feels like we need an extra body for the final third. 

We've played a lot better than that this season and lost. First half was decent but we sat too far back too early and offered nothing for the majority of the second half.

Raith looked powder puff up front but we looked pretty solid at the back and, somewhat surprisingly, held out under pressure.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Wrong, he’s just not Tumilty.

He can't run (other than in a straight line), he can't pass (other than sideways or backwards), and he can't cross (other than to the keeper or into the stand). 

I really like him as a centre half. He heads well, reads the game well and tackles well. But I'd rather have pretty much anyone else in the squad on as an auxiliary wingback in a game like today. 

I think if a neutral watched that they'd say it was a textbook defensive performance with Raith looking like they could play for another 90 minutes and not score. It was pretty sound from us defensively and thankfully when the ball did break to Raith it was a combination of us having the luck combined with Brynn in fine form. He's had a bit of harsh criticism so far but he pulled off a couple of really good saves to keep us ahead today.

Overall it was a great midfield/defence performance. We looked handy going forward as well and on another day could have got another couple.

Plenty of contenders for our MotM but I thought Junior was fantastic yet again. Sadly when Connolly went off he didn't have the out ball but he still threw his weight around.

A great performance and a big 3 points. On to a tricky fixture next week.

The first half you could make a strong case for us being unlucky not to score, the half time change ruined it for us though.

442 with Zannatta on the wing gets double marked, Dick offering little support and with fewer options to build through the middle.

Connolly feels like an injury too far and while I'm not going to fete our strikers today, they had little enough to work with in that second half.

8 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

He can't run (other than in a straight line), he can't pass (other than sideways or backwards), and he can't cross (other than to the keeper or into the stand). 

I really like him as a centre half. He heads well, reads the game well and tackles well. But I'd rather have pretty much anyone else in the squad on as an auxiliary wingback in a game like today. 

You are allowing your hatred of McKay outwith CH cloud your judgement, go to the corner and reflect.

3 minutes ago, embow said:

Disnae look as if he might be that good!🥺

It's harsh to judge based on his time there today. By the time he came on we'd already run out of ideas and were shelling crap, flat balls at their defence.

I don't think it's particularly fair to judge Keatings on that, he came on when it was already starting to be eleven defenders versus nine forwards, he was just feeding on the same second balls as everyone else. The one proper chance I think he had he was off balance and on his bad foot. 

That said, I'd hoped we'd have seen more from him by this point in the season. That he's behind a 19 year old loanee in the pecking order doesn't speak particularly highly of either his fitness or his performances in training. 

He might well get a proper run out against Morton, now, right enough. Certainly I think we need to try another attacking set up to see what can be shaken loose.