Raith Rovers vs Queen of the South

29 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I hope the match is less tedious than the thread.

To be fair, it's us posters that make the thread what it is, so feel free to spice it up MT - our Fife friends have been doing most of the work so far. 😏

I can see where Tx is coming from to an extent. I find McGlynn's reluctance to rotate much in the cup games against lower league opposition a bit bizarre eg Thomson never gets a game in goal, Berra could've been rested for Lang or McKay on Saturday there and I thought Arnott should have gotten more game time then also.

I wouldn't be messing around with the team much in league matches though. I know it was a bit of a freak occurrence but the Hamilton game showed what can happen when you make a few changes thinking the game is won.

As for the line up, it'll be interesting to see how McGlynn compensates for BRS being out. I can't see him chucking Arnott in there so he might need to tweak the formation a bit. Hard to say whether Fotheringham or Paplotnik will come in for Connolly, if he's out, without knowing how we'll set up. 

9 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

As for the game, might QOS dare hope for a point here with the return of the leg end in his lifetime that is the one and only Aidan Fitzpatrick ..... aye? 🙄

How are you guys looking so far this season? I think I noticed you'd lost a couple of games late on otherwise it would be a decent start points wise at least? 

50 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

How are you guys looking so far this season? I think I noticed you'd lost a couple of games late on otherwise it would be a decent start points wise at least? 

Slightly similarly to the start of last season, we've looked decent without it really being reflected in results yet. We were the better side at Partick Thistle, as even Ian McCall conceded after, but lost. We deserved a point in the 2nd game against Kilmarnock but lost a 92nd min goal. We did beat Morton as we deserved to but then were a bit disappointing against a resurgent Hamilton last League game. Squad looks the strongest it's been in a long time in terms of depth and options at least and we've managed to tie up a few decent younger prospects to two year deals at least now. We've also paid development fees for a couple of young prospects in Cochrane and Paton. But the squad is also incredibly young for all some of them have a fair bit of experience and it's going to take a while to settle down and get some consistency I expect. We've still Wullie Gibson at 37 now captain, but otherwise the only players over 22 years old are Alex Cooper (29) who has been injured since the opening cup game, Josh Todd (27) and Josh Debayo, Paul McKay and Ally Roy (24)

We've looked reasonably creative and have good pace and movement but a bit like Scotland we haven't been taking a high percentage of chances created and we're still prone to the odd stupid goal lost.

34 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Yea, I’ve been wanting on the wrong thread here for team discussion. What’s QoS’s answer to Dobbie moving on and is it working?

Well we have a bigger squad and far more options. Dobbie was a peripheral figure for the last season and if truth be told probably went a season too long with us. Connor Shields is far more difficult to replace than Dobbie is. His pace and power combination isn't often found outside the top division and couldn't be directly replaced. We've put faith in Ruben Soares Junior, who is Portuguese but has been in the UK for a few years now. He's raw and hasn't played at any significant senior level really but is getting better each week. Ally Roy has most of the goals with 7 to date but mostly in the League Cup groups and was out with a hamstring strain last week so probably won't start at Raith even if he's fit to be involved. Ruari Paton (bought from Stranraer), Lee Connelly (released by Sunderland) provide the imagination and creativity, and we added Aidan Fitzpatrick's raw pace today.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The question I'd say is, how have you handled things without Obileye? He was a completely like a completely different player in the first and second matches we had. 

I liked the big man but we carried him after our good run. As a defender I think we’ve better defenders in Debayo and Nditi, probably McKay as well.

16 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The question I'd say is, how have you handled things without Obileye? He was a completely like a completely different player in the first and second matches we had. 

13 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

I liked the big man but we carried him after our good run. As a defender I think we’ve better defenders in Debayo and Nditi, probably McKay as well.

Yeah, this pretty much. Raith probably saw his worst game for us and possibly his best. He was far better though when he moved into a holding midfield role in the latter half of the season than he ever was at centre half.

Smashing guy, brilliant at penalties, physically imposing but as a defender he was no more reliable than Buchanan. We improved defensively when Breen replaced Ayo in the back line and Ayo sat in front of them.

Our centre halves this year don't have the physical size that Obileye, Buchanan and even Breen have but they are more reliable.

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

Certainly, we need to get other players time too, especially with Vaughan out. Keatings is an experienced player who is getting some nice attempts in during very limited play. Let Keatings start and bring on Varian late against a tired back line, and your argument is that’s bad? If Keatings isn’t 100% physically, get Poplatnik some time as a starter…while Stoke are probably happy to see Varian playing regularly, Livi probably aren’t as thrilled with Poplatnik’s recent playing time, and ideally we’d like them both happy with the loans.

There is a drumbeat of play the strongest team, play the team that won last week, start X because he’s scoring/doing well. Unfortunately, that’s not always best for the team. Playing every match is nice, if you have no depth and no injuries occur. It also highlights players that will be potentially lifted from us during the next window.

Ethon is with us until Jan, when he will likely just leave…Vaughan will not be ready to return then…Mitchell isn’t ready to start…Poplatnik is probably leaving too in January…so why on earth would we NOT take a opportunity to get Keatings a start and a chance to get on track?

In a similar manner, I think we need to see more play by Lang and McKay…initially in clean up time, but Berra (and Bene, for that matter) is unlikely to start every match this season, so let’s blood the player behind them when possible.

Consider our issue now that BRS is suspended, we have two “pure” midfielders with experience…not ideal. Experienced backups are rare at this level, backups with some game experience and a little playing time are where it’s at when injuries strike…we’re Raith, we do injuries.

I'm not entirely sure we care too much, he's out of contract next season and he'll be off anyway. I don't image we're keen on bringing him back either unless we find another side to pay the same % of wages as you are

50 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, this pretty much. Raith probably saw his worst game for us and possibly his best. He was far better though when he moved into a holding midfield role in the latter half of the season than he ever was at centre half.

Smashing guy, brilliant at penalties, physically imposing but as a defender he was no more reliable than Buchanan. We improved defensively when Breen replaced Ayo in the back line and Ayo sat in front of them.

Our centre halves this year don't have the physical size that Obileye, Buchanan and even Breen have but they are more reliable.

Interestingly he's been probably our best CB this season by far. Very good competing with the physical challenges in the Premiership and keeps it simple. The main issue is that everyone playing alongside him has been an absolute donkey

46 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Interestingly he's been probably our best CB this season by far. Very good competing with the physical challenges in the Premiership and keeps it simple. The main issue is that everyone playing alongside him has been an absolute donkey

Amazing how often a change of station results in a completely different player, even allowing for differing styles and managers.

6 hours ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

Tx is American right?

Having watched the MLS they love a rotation, boys literally don’t play weekend and midweek without loads of changes.

Think we’ve just seen two pages of cultural differences between US and UK sports thinking.

It's not like other teams in the UK don't go heavy into squad rotation. Particularly the so-called 'elite' teams. 

However, you are unlikely to see much of it at our level, and while some managers at this level still tinker with their squad and formation more regularly, John McGlynn has always been a proponent of keeping a winning team together.

2 hours ago, Beachbum said:

He has connections to Kirkcaldy. 

Not sure how long he's been over there.

Donkey’s years. As for rotation of the squad, I see advantages to keeping players involved and getting a rest now and then, when possible. With 40+ games a year, seems prudent.

32 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Donkey’s years. As for rotation of the squad, I see advantages to keeping players involved and getting a rest now and then, when possible. With 40+ games a year, seems prudent.

Great to have your in depth analysis of squad dynamics on hand. Up till now I have been over reliant on the: man management, tactical experience, track record and pro license qualifications of John McGlynn.