Kilmarnock v Greenock Morton - 11/9

There's nothing wrong with an approach of trying to shitfest clean sheets and hit on the break, but it's only going to work if you're defensively competent.

We did succeed in dragging Kilmarnock down to our level, turning the game into a scrap for large spells and creating chances on the counter attack, but if you concede cheap goals from crosses every week that gameplan isn't going to return many points. It was obviously considerably better than Firhill, but our defensive organisation needs to improve drastically if we're going to turn this around.

Really disappointing not to get at least a point from that game. 

Ten minutes to go and their keeper calls the ball boy over and tells him not to give the ball back when it goes out, but to drop it at his own feet for him to go and collect - tells you everything about how far Killie have fallen. 

Ten minutes to go and their keeper calls the ball boy over and tells him not to give the ball back when it goes out, but to drop it at his own feet for him to go and collect - tells you everything about how far Killie have fallen. 
[emoji97][emoji97][emoji97][emoji97]

39 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

7B009016-38F8-4FA0-9865-3724D85B192B.gif

Happy with the 3 points of course but a further reminder that we are not as good as we would like to be/some fans think we are and that this season is going to be tough every single week.

Speaking purely for myself I’ll be happy to get promoted just winning like this for the majority of the season. However I haven’t and wouldn’t put any money on us being promoted, we aren’t good enough at all to really be thinking that is a guarantee. Last season Hearts fans turned against their side a bit due to performances but I don’t think we will do that nor do we have the same expectations as Hearts.

57 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

There's nothing wrong with an approach of trying to shitfest clean sheets and hit on the break, but it's only going to work if you're defensively competent.

We did succeed in dragging Kilmarnock down to our level, turning the game into a scrap for large spells and creating chances on the counter attack, but if you concede cheap goals from crosses every week that gameplan isn't going to return many points. It was obviously considerably better than Firhill, but our defensive organisation needs to improve drastically if we're going to turn this around.

Pretty much this.

First half we were fine, but faded in the second. No real plan B for when we conceded.

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Happy with the 3 points of course but a further reminder that we are not as good as we would like to be/some fans think we are and that this season is going to be tough every single week.

Speaking purely for myself I’ll be happy to get promoted just winning like this for the majority of the season. However I haven’t and wouldn’t put any money on us being promoted, we aren’t good enough at all to really be thinking that is a guarantee. Last season Hearts fans turned against their side a bit due to performances but I don’t think we will do that nor do we have the same expectations as Hearts.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. There's a reason why we've been given the tags of favourites to win the title, but it's absolutely not going to be a cakewalk. We're going to have to find ways to break down opposition when they revert to stodgy tactics - and there's nothing wrong with playing that way if it helps you to get points on the board - but we seem to lack a cutting edge that can really open up teams, the exception to this being the Ayr game. I'd like to think that we'll be able to do it, but there's a long way to go yet and we may have to watch a fair amount of games that are like this one today. Fair play to Morton who were competitive in the first half and backed their team well in the Chadwick today.

2 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

How can we lose a thousand fans from ICT to Morton game? 3700 seasons, couple of hundred Morton fans and free tickets from “roon the toon” eligible. Weird.

There was a failure once again in the scanning system, many fans were admitted without their tickets being scanned. Others were turned away as they could not pay at the gate.

Probably one of our worst performances under TW, but got the job done, which is what winning the Championship is all about. Winning games like today is a great sign. 

Hemming was good when called upon. One of Haunstrup's better games today I thought. Murray is one of the best signings we've made in quite some time - a fantastic defender. Sanders looks like raw talent, prone to mistakes but with some clear ability - I think we can afford to let him develop, as long as he doesn't start to cost us games, which he is surely in danger of. Naismith was fine, though I still find him slow as a week in the jile at times. 

Thought the midfield trio of McGinn, Alston and Polworth all had poorer games by their standards. None of them were terrible, but they've set a pretty decent standard to date and didn't hit it. Second half this was summed up by Polworth failing to beat the first man at a corner, then minutes later absolutely wasting a free kick. 

McKenzie doesn't offer nearly enough going forward and I was happy to see him getting hooked for Armstrong, who I would have started - but I was even happier that he gave Wright good cause to change his mind! Great bit of following up, flung himself at it like a bullet, even if it was possibly going in any way!

Murray drifts in and out of games but feel when we get the ball to his feet in a good area we are always a danger. 

Shaw drifted in and out too, but when he was good he was very good. Looking to turn balls quickly and get through on goal, which is what you want. Can take a ball in and can flick it on well for a team mate. Hassles and makes a pest of himself. For me, a clearly better option than Cameron. 

I would be disappointed if we played like that every week as I don't think we'll always get the 3 points, but we take them and move on to two big games against our nearest competitors - Thistle and Arbroath. Lets open up a gap. 

4 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Get it up you.

4 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Think that was about 89 minutes. Good call by Sander…

Well it wasn't pretty but we still got a result.

What happened with taking the knee at kick off? I wasn't sure if it was still being done, I think all the Morton players did, about 4 Killie players did and a couple awkwardly went halfway down and kind of hovered and a few looked like they didn't get the memo, I know it's a serious subject but it gave me a chuckle.

44 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

Well it wasn't pretty but we still got a result.

What happened with taking the knee at kick off? I wasn't sure if it was still being done, I think all the Morton players did, about 4 Killie players did and a couple awkwardly went halfway down and kind of hovered and a few looked like they didn't get the memo, I know it's a serious subject but it gave me a chuckle.

Happened at Firhill two weeks ago. Our players took the knee and there was brief confusion as to why some of our fans started booing. It transpired that they were booing the Thistle players for not doing it.

Yesterday there was just applause for the players who were doing it rather than booing for those who didn't.