Ayr United vs Dunfermline Athletic

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:
1 hour ago, RRFC2711 said:
Why don’t you just swap managers and see how it works out….?

Would take. Hopkin can at least point to some noteworthy achievements in his managerial career. PG got relegated but played 'nice football'.

Thought PG was an incredibly odd appointment at the time for you guys. His Alloa side last year looked completely dejected and devoid of any tactics when we played them. Genuinely couldn't believe how easy a time we had against them whilst not being brilliant ourselves. 

Aye none of us can quite understand the appointment. I don't think I ever will tbh, even if we were to somehow win the league or get promotion via the playoffs this season I still would be curious as to how he was the man they thought would do it. He wasn't even on the McBookie long list of duds until another poster on here requested a price. Bet was placed, PG became the favorite overtaking Petrie and that was that. I'm blaming that poster tbh, think he might be related to PG cough cough @Rob1885

Aye none of us can quite understand the appointment. I don't think I ever will tbh, even if we were to somehow win the league or get promotion via the playoffs this season I still would be curious as to how he was the man they thought would do it. He wasn't even on the McBookie long list of duds until another poster on here requested a price. Bet was placed, PG became the favorite overtaking Petrie and that was that. I'm blaming that poster tbh, think he might be related to PG cough cough [mention=28212]Rob1885[/mention]
I prefer not to speak

Daily Record reporting Hopkin standing down. That's Ayr getting the new manager bounce which will bring them victory, then PG binned. Thanks all.
Please do not tease like this. I fear that Saturday will be a dire 0-0 shit fest which just keeps both managers in a job for another week. If Hopkin stands down then Jim Duffy will take over. There will be no bounce.

4 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Never thought I’d be jealous of Ayr… if only our manager would do the honourable thing and resign, then become Ayr boss.

Hopefully Jim Duffy has a word on Saturday to get the band back together and keeps Grant in Ayr

If there is a bit of a bounce from this and Ayr get a win, it has got to be curtains for Grant. At least Hopkin done the right thing and walked before he was hounded out. Grant is lingering on and stinking out our place. Almost hope we get thumped on Saturday to make his position truly untenable. It is plain to see we cannot progress with this man in charge and need wholesale changes already.

I quite like the trip to Somerset and my wife has family in Ayrshire so it's one game I almost always go to. We usually do OK there too and I can't remember too many shoeings from Aye although I do remember Josh Falkingham out jumping Ryan Stevenson and Faissal scoring a great goal down there. This time I'm not looking forward to it all. If it wasn't for the missus telling her folks weeks ago that we'd be down this weekend and booking a dinner somewhere I'd have given it a swerve. We will lose, Grant will blame the weather or the pitch or something equally daft and I'll be stuck with the in laws for the rest of the weekend trying to make small talk and laughing about how rubbish we are to the few folk who take any interest about football (the usual Ayrshire Rangers "fans" who couldn't name a Rangers player and who have never been to Ibrox). Absolutely buzzing...

3 hours ago, Rob1885 said:
4 hours ago, RRFC2711 said:
Why don’t you just swap managers and see how it works out….?

Would take. Hopkin can at least point to some noteworthy achievements in his managerial career. PG got relegated but played 'nice football'.

Is it even possible to play "nice football" and get relegated at the same time?

Nope. You can tell your players to pass the ball about well at the back, they then lose possession, and concede goals straight from it. A lot of our goals we have conceded are from teams being patient, waiting on us crossing in to their half, then hitting us full pelt as soon as we gift possession away. Not unlike Alloa last season. They had a crap plastic pitch as well that helped them, and still went down.

This is right up there with the appointment of Davie Hay, possibly even worse. The board have well and truly fucked up once again.

3 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Nope. You can tell your players to pass the ball about well at the back, they then lose possession, and concede goals straight from it. A lot of our goals we have conceded are from teams being patient, waiting on us crossing in to their half, then hitting us full pelt as soon as we gift possession away. Not unlike Alloa last season. They had a crap plastic pitch as well that helped them, and still went down.

This is right up there with the appointment of Davie Hay, possibly even worse. The board have well and truly fucked up once again.

So, attempting to play "nice football" and failing miserably at it?

Gotcha.

27 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Blackpool in the Premier League? Hull City played some nice stuff until Phil Brown's nervous breakdown too. You can be outclassed without being plainly incompetent.

Anyway, "Jim Duffy caretaker" is not exactly the bounciest trampoline in the world, but at least there might be _some_ shape to the team now. Should he get his shit together in the next 48 hours then it would be nice if Dunfermline's hilariously poor form continued.

Edited by Thumper

No. There is also nothing “nice” about our performances so far. No goals in our last 3 games and 11 conceded. Even in the 2-2 draw with Morton, we looked utterly hopeless. Bizarrely, our board have cited Alloa’s performance, in a game where we beat them 4-1, as one of the main reasons we wanted to appoint Grant. That’s the level of stupidity that is running our club. To be clear, that game was the only time in Crawford’s 2 and a half years in charge that anybody’s defending was so bad, we scored 4 goals away from home and the only team poor enough for us to beat away from home at all last season, and we managed it by a very convincing margin. I honestly don’t believe there was anything “nice” about Alloa’s performances last season. Good/nice football gets results. Asking players to play in a way that they are not suited to is not a sign of ‘nice’ football and is more a sign of very poor management.

If we stick with Grant any longer, we’re very likely to get relegated. The board need to stop being stubborn arseholes and accept they’ve made a mess of another managerial appointment, before it’s too late.