South of Scotland League general chat

16 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's very difficult for an SPFL club to even think about running a SOSL side because the SOSL plays on Saturdays. I'd have said it was nigh on impossible but clearly Stranraer do it. I don't know anything about their South side though. I assume it effectively runs as pretty much a separate entity? Players must be nowhere near 1st team level and coaching staff presumably don't work with the first team and are likely volunteers?

From a QoS point of view we could possibly just about put a team in the South League but it wouldn't include either our 1st team or our 2nd team players these days. It's not the 1990's when 1st teams had 11 players and 2 subs. We will have a matchday squad of about 22 players for a first team game now with 9 stripped subs involved in the game. If you enter the SoSL which is playing games on Saturdays then in effect you're fielding a 3rd XI in it where pretty much everyone will still be at school or a first year reserve on the college programme. I'm not sure that's in reality adding anything either to the League or for the club. You're as well sending the better of those players out on loan to another South side to play alongside experienced adults as having a team of kids playing against them and probably losing a lot.

And that's before you talk about a coaching staff for it. We don't carry a dozen coaches. Manager, assistant manager, gk coach, fitness coach, physio, would be at first team games. Currently our Head of Youth and our Reserves Manager also have home matchday roles and so do the youth coaches. There simply isn't anyone else to take a team in the South league. You'd need to recruit coaches for it.

It doesn't really work and Annan would be in an even worse boat as they don't even have an 18's group to make up a 3rd XI anyway. The advantage of SPFL reserves is they play Tuesdays, not Saturdays, so the coaching team can largely be present and the 2nd XI who sit on the bench on 1st team matchdays can potentially be involved, as well as the fringe players who are on loan in the South League. Best of both worlds and works reasonably well for us.

9 STRIPPED SUBS WOW i really didn’t realise that, barring injury those 9 must be fairly constant ? Wonder how much game time they get. 

They also did most of the cup draws. Just the Southern Counties Challenge Cup and Potts Cup to be drawn. 

Possibility that Caledonian Braves withdrew from the FAs as well, as they aren't in any of them. Not uncommon for those not active in the league. Southern Counties Challenge Cup would probably be the only one they might still compete in.

League Cup Draw 🏆
1st Round
Wigtown & B v Nithsdale Wanderers
Abbey Vale v Mid Annandale
Upper Annandale v St Cuthbert Wanderers
Lochmaben v Stranraer
Creetown bye
Dalbeattie bye
Lochar Thistle bye
Newton Stewart bye

Haig Cup 🏆
Newton Stewart v Lochar Thistle
Wigtown & B v Creetown
Dalbeattie Star v Mid Annandale
St Cuthbert Wanderers v Stranraer
Abbey Vale bye
Lochmaben bye
Nithsdale bye
Uppers bye

Alba Cup 🏆
Mid Annandale v Lochar Thistle
Lochmaben bye
Uppers bye
Nithsdale bye
Semi final 🔜
Mids/Lochar Thistle v Upper Annandale
Lochmaben v Nithsdale

Cree Lodge Cup 🏆
Wigtown & Bladnoch v Stranraer
Dalbeattie Star v Mid Annandale
Upper Annandale v Abbey Vale
Nithsdale Wanderers v St Cuthbert Wanderers
Newton Stewart bye
Lochar Thistle bye
Creetown bye
Lochmaben bye

Tweedie Cup 🏆
Lochar Thistle v Mid Annandale
Upper Annandale v Creetown
Nithsdale v Wigtown & Bladnoch
Newton Stewart v Stranraer
Dalbeattie Star bye
Abbey Vale bye
St Cuthbert Wanderers bye
Lochmaben bye

19 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Possibility that Caledonian Braves withdrew from the FAs as well, as they aren't in any of them. Not uncommon for those not active in the league. Southern Counties Challenge Cup would probably be the only one they might still compete in.

Last season they were only in the Cree Lodge and SCFA Challenge Cup, the latter of which has not been drawn. But if everyone else is accounted for in the cups and there's one resignation then surely it must be them...

Just now, Ginaro said:

Last season they were only in the Cree Lodge and SCFA Challenge Cup, the latter of which has not been drawn. But if everyone else is accounted for in the cups and there's one resignation then surely it must be them...

I know they've withdrawn from the league. I'm wondering if they've withdrawn from the SCFA entirely.

They'd now be the only SCFA member in the Lowland League. With so many non-regional FA members in the Lowland now they might prefer trying to get league games on instead of losing weekends on a tertiary cup.

Braves withdraw from the league, still in the SCFA regional challenge cup 

wellington withdraw application as it was too quick for them to get everything sorted. (No changing facilities etc…) 

the cup draws for other 2 cups have been drawn. Not too sure why they ain’t been published yet. Could be something to do with a new member. However if you look at Newton Stewart’s Facebook post with the draw on, you’ll see that new member of the SCFA. 

A strong 12 team league with half of them (or 7 if you include Stranraer) in the Scottish cup next season 🏆 if Lochmaben, Wigtown and Uppers can get a decent team sorted then anyone could beat anyone.  

1 minute ago, Jamie92 said:

Braves withdraw from the league, still in the SCFA regional challenge cup 

wellington withdraw application as it was too quick for them to get everything sorted. (No changing facilities etc…) 

the cup draws for other 2 cups have been drawn. Not too sure why they ain’t been published yet. Could be something to do with a new member. However if you look at Newton Stewart’s Facebook post with the draw on, you’ll see that new member of the SCFA. 

A strong 12 team league with half of them (or 7 if you include Stranraer) in the Scottish cup next season 🏆 if Lochmaben, Wigtown and Uppers can get a decent team sorted then anyone could beat anyone.  

Thanks for that.

Since stil playing things coy, I was wrong about Braves being the only SCFA member in the Lowland League now :)

47 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:

if you look at Newton Stewart’s Facebook post with the draw on, you’ll see that new member of the SCFA. 

I wonder if they still have their EoS membership and will therefore play in the respective cups? Given that it’s been confirmed several times that if (when) they get relegated they’ll go into the south you’d think they would just apply for all the appropriate FAs 

13 hours ago, Derry Pele said:

I wonder if they still have their EoS membership and will therefore play in the respective cups? Given that it’s been confirmed several times that if (when) they get relegated they’ll go into the south you’d think they would just apply for all the appropriate FAs 

Gretna 2008 have withdrawn from the EOS Association.

The South of Scotland have,by a series of what looks like unrelated happenings, been thrown a chance to have a competitive and financially viable 12-team league next season. I hope they can take advantage of this and give us a league which can be a showpiece for a mix of up-and-coming young players and older players who just want to play for the love of the game. At this level, it should be about enjoyment for players and committees and not a chore! 

1 hour ago, info said:

The South of Scotland have,by a series of what looks like unrelated happenings, been thrown a chance to have a competitive and financially viable 12-team league next season. I hope they can take advantage of this and give us a league which can be a showpiece for a mix of up-and-coming young players and older players who just want to play for the love of the game. At this level, it should be about enjoyment for players and committees and not a chore! 

Here here! Just need the conference league not to happen then it will be grand. 16 teams in the regions challenge cup which is good to see as well 🙌

On 01/06/2023 at 20:19, info said:

Good to see that Dalbeattie and Saints are reverting to having mainly local squads after their experiments with lower end WOSL imports backfired last season.

According to a West of Scotland League thread on club licencing we should be sending congratulations to Creetown FC for gaining their licence. Good news. Hopefully the club will be making a statement before long.

That's it's official then massive well done to all at the club.

It shows it can be done, no matter how small the club.

Only 6 to go.

IMG_20230608_094429.jpg

Mids will be next. Nithsdale need a stand and floodlights as do Lochar. Abbey Vale need floodlights but then will still need permission for that to happen by the council if I heard correctly.

Lochmaben & Uppers way off though Lochmaben have a good wee clubhouse and decent pie. 

18 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:

Mids will be next. Nithsdale need a stand and floodlights as do Lochar. Abbey Vale need floodlights but then will still need permission for that to happen by the council if I heard correctly.

Lochmaben & Uppers way off though Lochmaben have a good wee clubhouse and decent pie. 

Creetown don't have a stand just a covered enclosure with roofing attached to clubhouse.

But word is there are changes in the pipeline 're licencing criteria. Seating was hinted as being one. But we just need to wait for the result of the latest licencing review hopefully revealed in the autumn.

11 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The Southern Counties Challenge Cup and Potts Cup 1st round draws.

image.png.5c0ae3101a7139e38cee2b3293e877d5.png

What was the point in me starting a new thread specifically for season 23/24, if everyone is just going to ignore it. This thread is for generic shit only.

Dont know why I bother when nobody appreciates what I'm doing. God it's just like at home.

🤒🤒🤒🤒🤒🤒🤒🤒🤒🤒🤒