South of Scotland League general chat

8 hours ago, PossilYM said:

They blew it big time

Any other team losing ONE game throughout their entire League season would hardly be described as blowing it would they ?

They dropped points in the run in when as has been previously suggested ( after they beat Abbey Vale 3-0 )it  seemed to allow the Maryfield Park side to play with a more care free manner in that the knew their chance was gone ! Castle Cary is a difficult place to go at the best of times and a well drilled Ferry outfit are hard to beat at home on a tight , bumpy surface however you have to consider the huge bonus of Vales last SEVEN games all being at home , therefore maximising player availability and limited travelling times for their lads whilst the early mid week kick offs etc put pressure on the opposition having their own best teams available for the matches. Personally I felt Vales goal scoring ability was ke5 to getting them over the line as they won all their remaining League games comfortably enough.  

it’s harsh to knock Creetown for an otherwise excellent season and I for one applaud them on their best campaign for man6 , many a year 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

On 26/04/2023 at 16:26, HorseyGhirl said:

50 minutes ago, AML67 said:

Any other team losing ONE game throughout their entire League season would hardly be described as blowing it would they ?

They dropped points in the run in when as has been previously suggested ( after they beat Abbey Vale 3-0 )it  seemed to allow the Maryfield Park side to play with a more care free manner in that the knew their chance was gone ! Castle Cary is a difficult place to go at the best of times and a well drilled Ferry outfit are hard to beat at home on a tight , bumpy surface however you have to consider the huge bonus of Vales last SEVEN games all being at home , therefore maximising player availability and limited travelling times for their lads whilst the early mid week kick offs etc put pressure on the opposition having their own best teams available for the matches. Personally I felt Vales goal scoring ability was ke5 to getting them over the line as they won all their remaining League games comfortably enough.  

it’s harsh to knock Creetown for an otherwise excellent season and I for one applaud them on their best campaign for man6 , many a year 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Quite agree. Possil YM,s posting is out of order and obviously out of touch with the south. I find it difficult to see any merit in the South fixture scheduling. Sending teams 60 miles in April to play at pitches without lights means no time for warmup therefore more injuries and key players unable to make games. If you are lucky it works out for you! I know scheduling games is difficult, but computer scheduling at our level is not the definitive answer. 

Well done Vale and hard luck Creetown 

53 minutes ago, AML67 said:

Nail-head. 

Watched more of Creetown than Vale from New Year. 

Vale a free-flowing side, Creetown more controlling who would stifle any opposition by managing possession and wear them out.

Vale looked energised after the 3-0 reverse, and how much belief did the Alba Cup win give them?

Creetown as I have said previously loomed a spent force. Their driving force Dunn missed a few games in run-up and even he against Threave was way off the pace of the game. Committed more fouls than passes that evening.

Few finals to go and onto next season. 

Don't worry about my man Possil.  He likes to 'create debate'. He like us loves his non league fix.

Just now, info said:

Quite agree. Possil YM,s posting is out of order and obviously out of touch with the south. I find it difficult to see any merit in the South fixture scheduling. Sending teams 60 miles in April to play at pitches without lights means no time for warmup therefore more injuries and key players unable to make games. If you are lucky it works out for you! I know scheduling games is difficult, but computer scheduling at our level is not the definitive answer. 

Well done Vale and hard luck Creetown 

Too many historical cups?

League should always have priority. Playing cup games on Saturday's when league games are outstanding is poor. Why is a 22 game season finishing so late. Some teams had played 11 or so games in March, and then having to play 3 games a week. That's poor management. 

Management committee need to show a bit more professionalism and organisation for 2023-24.

As I've said Possil likes to stir up a bit of debate, but his comment does raise a good point as most clubs were playing unnecessary midweek league games.

Is there a full league schedule produced at commencement of the season? 

Clubs should be questioning fixtures guy.

If it was the West there would be a 200 page thread on it.

If you know anyone or are on the SOS committee raise this please.

15 minutes ago, Dev said:

Will Abbey Vale be in the Scottish Cup next season as SoS League champions?

I believe so, same as other Tier 6 unlicenced champs.

2 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Too many historical cups?

League should always have priority. Playing cup games on Saturday's when league games are outstanding is poor. Why is a 22 game season finishing so late. Some teams had played 11 or so games in March, and then having to play 3 games a week. That's poor management. 

Management committee need to show a bit more professionalism and organisation for 2023-24.

As I've said Possil likes to stir up a bit of debate, but his comment does raise a good point as most clubs were playing unnecessary midweek league games.

Is there a full league schedule produced at commencement of the season? 

Clubs should be questioning fixtures guy.

If it was the West there would be a 200 page thread on it.

If you know anyone or are on the SOS committee raise this please.

It's a thankless task maybes get in touch wi the league and see if you can arrange the fixtures in the way you see fit. 

10 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

It's a thankless task maybes get in touch wi the league and see if you can arrange the fixtures in the way you see fit. 

Eh what did I do.🙄🙄🙄

Think it's a fair point to make as it was a 22 game season. Next year could be a 26 game season.  There were Saturday's down here recently when there were more cup games than league games. Which is strange when Vale played Sat, Mon, Wed, Sat one week. I don't recall seeing a fixture schedule for the season or half. No idea who does fixtures but could be something to look at for next season. We are after all trying to promote SOS and get punters through the gates.

37 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Eh what did I do.🙄🙄🙄

Think it's a fair point to make as it was a 22 game season. Next year could be a 26 game season.  There were Saturday's down here recently when there were more cup games than league games. Which is strange when Vale played Sat, Mon, Wed, Sat one week. I don't recall seeing a fixture schedule for the season or half. No idea who does fixtures but could be something to look at for next season. We are after all trying to promote SOS and get punters through the gates.

Please let me try and help you. Newcastle Brown is referring to what you’re saying dont worry about what you’re doing because thats nothing other than talking shite ? This, that unprofessional someone tell a committee member etc. Do something yourself and speak to the relative people. Free flowing football was played by the wonderful Celtic/ Real Madrid teams in the 60s ( not Abbey Vale today) and stifling the opposition by managing possession was mastered by Bobby Gould with help from Vinnie Jones et al ( Creetown must be delighted with the reference) 

9 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Please let me try and help you. Newcastle Brown is referring to what you’re saying dont worry about what you’re doing because thats nothing other than talking shite ? This, that unprofessional someone tell a committee member etc. Do something yourself and speak to the relative people. Free flowing football was played by the wonderful Celtic/ Real Madrid teams in the 60s ( not Abbey Vale today) and stifling the opposition by managing possession was mastered by Bobby Gould with help from Vinnie Jones et al ( Creetown must be delighted with the reference) 

Newcy Broon and I are fine.

Thank you again for pointing out I am wrong. Are you my missus per chance? 😙😙😙

For years the SOS has been seen by others as amateurish. Vale's performance against Luncarty and some results in the SCC have raised it's  profile. When was the last time the league finish had so much interest in it. So if my shite gets posters commenting on the South I will continue.

I wasn't intending to criticise the league more give some unsolicited advice. For that I apologise. I wouldnt know league officials if I fell over them.

But heh ho. Can't please everyone.

18 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Newcy Broon and I are fine.

Thank you again for pointing out I am wrong. Are you my missus per chance? 😙😙😙

For years the SOS has been seen by others as amateurish. Vale's performance against Luncarty and some results in the SCC have raised it's  profile. When was the last time the league finish had so much interest in it. So if my shite gets posters commenting on the South I will continue.

I wasn't intending to criticise the league more give some unsolicited advice. For that I apologise. I wouldnt know league officials if I fell over them.

But heh ho. Can't please everyone.

Ok I’ll go along. For now ( how many and in what way ) has the SOS league been seen as others as amateurish? 

It’s always had that status ( save a fiver in the boot back in the day )

1 hour ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Eh what did I do.🙄🙄🙄

The thing I found strange was the run in, where the EOS/WOS Premier are finishing this Saturday 13th May but the SOS ended at the weekend, so you had some Monday games that could've been avoided. The Renfrew v Abbey Vale game scheduled for Saturday could surely have been on the 20th as Vale wouldn't be in the LL play-off (unlike Creetown). Although the unknown participants in the latter stages of the cups probably didn't help with fixture scheduling.

You only have to look at the figures the south put on their insta story to see how popular the last 28 days have been. One of the engagements hit over 100k people. 

It’s down to social media for the interest. The south’s socials have only been active for 2/3 seasons now and it’s the main source of information for it as well as a Facebook group done by Stephen (📸) who’s on this. It’s grown quite a bit. With Dalbeattie now in for next season and Gretna in the coming years, it will only get more competitive. Forget about wellington, apparently the site visit was a disaster/unorganised chaos. Don’t think the committee were too happy.

34 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:

Forget about wellington, apparently the site visit was a disaster/unorganised chaos. Don’t think the committee were too happy.

I'll be completely honest; good we don't want or need some charlatans coming in.

I for one have enjoyed my first season attending South games. Mainly in around Stewartry, but with better planning on my part hope to be more proactive next season.

And will continue spouting my shite on here if its gets people interested and going out to South games.

39 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:

You only have to look at the figures the south put on their insta story to see how popular the last 28 days have been. One of the engagements hit over 100k people. 

It’s down to social media for the interest. The south’s socials have only been active for 2/3 seasons now and it’s the main source of information for it as well as a Facebook group done by Stephen (📸) who’s on this. It’s grown quite a bit. With Dalbeattie now in for next season and Gretna in the coming years, it will only get more competitive. Forget about wellington, apparently the site visit was a disaster/unorganised chaos. Don’t think the committee were too happy.

For me Dalbeattie, Gretna ( imminent surely) and Annan reserves ( if they had foresight) a no brainier?

2 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I'll be completely honest; good we don't want or need some charlatans coming in.

I for one have enjoyed my first season attending South games. Mainly in around Stewartry, but with better planning on my part hope to be more proactive next season.

And will continue spouting my shite on here if its gets people interested and going out to South games.

Whilst spouting your shite you could maybe answer a question as a rest from shovelling it ( just saying )

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

Ok I’ll go along. For now ( how many and in what way ) has the SOS league been seen as others as amateurish? 

It’s always had that status ( save a fiver in the boot back in the day )

That's the last few posts we've ended up in an argument of sorts somehow.

I am from the central bent and believe me when I say the South is and has been viewed as nothing more than an amateur league by supporters and some clubs(not willing to give examples as not my place).

Threave's performances in Div 4 and their run in the SCC has been positively received. Vale's performance likewise against Luncarty and the SCC victories by Lochar and Newton Stewart helped.

I bet that was a big part of Dukes application. They thought it would be a piece of pish.

As for my views on teams and how they play; I have as much right as any to comment nobody has to agree but if it promotes the games down here I will keep doing it.

Anyways take care and as ever enjoy your football.

7 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

For me Dalbeattie, Gretna ( imminent surely) and Annan reserves ( if they had foresight) a no brainier?

Got to be honest not a fan of reserve sides out with a reserve league. But if the league are happy with it who am I to disagree.

Not looking for an argument. 🙄🙄🙄🙄