South of Scotland League general chat

Back from Castle Cary Park after attending the Cree Lodge Semi between Creetown and Threave.

First time at the Park although drove past it too many times to recall.

Very undulating pitch not imo conducive to free flowing football.

Quite an unusual little ground, almost cage like with having 3 sides ubusable to fans. The well presented clubhouse gives it that little bit extra though. Quite different from St.Marys and Meadow Park which I've attended the most recently.

The game itself was very end of seasonish. Creetown as I've witnessed previously are a well drilled, efficient outfit but lacking any real flair and creativity in their ranks, and struggled to create anything in an attacking sense.

Threave had the bulk of possession but imo were quite wasteful with poor decision making on the ball causing continual breakdown of moves.

To the goals 1 late in 1st half, with a further 2 late in the 2nd.

Goal one was avoidable; after a decent save from a shot on the edge of the box, an unnecessary lunge by a home defender resulted in a contentious penalty, duly dispatched.

The 2 late, late 2nd half goals were equally avoidable. The first was a lob from.near halfway that caught out the home keeper and went in off a post. A decent finish bit a number of home players were too busy claiming for a handball to deal with the situation. 3rd goal was a simple tap in after a decent enough move from Threave, but this was only after a defensive mix up gave away possession.

So in the end it was Creetown 0-3 Threave.

Dependent on when and where Final is held. Might not be my last game of the season after all.

In conclusion another game to add recently short on quality and any real creativity.

Feel it's been a long season for some of the players I've seen recently. The entertaining matches I've seen earlier seem a mere memory at this stage.

Ah well theres always  2023-24 to look forward to.

Certainly picking and choosing the games I go too now. Might head to Abbey vale tomorrow and see what’s going on. Can’t see Newton stopping them though unless they are at full strength which is doubtful with a 7pm kick off coming over for that time. 

more looking forward to a potential “Super Saturday” outcome next weekend which might be a bit more fun. Then there’s all the cup finals coming up. As long as we see a variety of sides in different finals it could be good, compared to last season when it was just threave or saints, got very boring after a while I have to say.

Well there goes my good mood. 😡

It's all well and good playing the Potts Cup Final at St.Marys but that's naw bloody good to me if its on a Sat afternoon. Has nobody at the SOSFL heard of Horse Shows.

How can I promote it on here when I'll no even be in the bloody region.

Poor poor show whomever made this decision. And don't ask me to not go to the horse show. Have you met my daughter. She wisnae born in the Rottenrow for nothin. 😟

20 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Well there goes my good mood. 😡

It's all well and good playing the Potts Cup Final at St.Marys but that's naw bloody good to me if its on a Sat afternoon. Has nobody at the SOSFL heard of Horse Shows.

How can I promote it on here when I'll no even be in the bloody region.

Poor poor show whomever made this decision. And don't ask me to not go to the horse show. Have you met my daughter. She wisnae born in the Rottenrow for nothin. 😟

A game of football on a Saturday afternoon how novel ? Wonder if it’ll ever catch on !

13 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

A game of football on a Saturday afternoon how novel ? Wonder if it’ll ever catch on !

Oh don't get me wrong. All for Saturday football. 

But, only when there is nae bloody horse shows on at the same time.

I know I am a grown man and should be doing as I want. But my daughter rides 17 hand thoroughbreds and they don't answer back. So what change does little old me at 68kg have.

Not so much under the thumb as completely stamped upon. 🤒

2 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Oh don't get me wrong. All for Saturday football. 

But, only when there is nae bloody horse shows on at the same time.

I know I am a grown man and should be doing as I want. But my daughter rides 17 hand thoroughbreds and they don't answer back. So what change does little old me at 68kg have.

Not so much under the thumb as completely stamped upon. 🤒

To be honest I didn’t know you were a grown man ? Why should i, as the name suggests otherwise. 

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

To be honest I didn’t know you were a grown man ? Why should i, as the name suggests otherwise. 

I do like to be ambiguous.

It's my daughter who rides the horses. I am what is known as a horsey dad.

Driver, groom, general dogsbody. 

Only lived in Stewartry for 5 years now. Get to ad many games around here as I can. Only been on here a few months as there were next to no posts on the South Thread and took it upon myself to generate interest in football down here.

Posters most days now so will keep posting my nonesense if its advertises the game down here. 

So please keep going to matches and post anything on here that keeps the South in people's minds.

Peace out brother.

6 hours ago, annan4eva said:

on-the-internet-nobody-knows-921x1024.jp

Or horse in this case...

Edited by Ginaro

Off the Islecroft tonight, see how a top south team does against a bottom lowland league side. Be interesting to see if Cox, Kilpatrick are still there or have left already. Hear if they get relegated, a few of the Birchtree Sunday league side will be signing but don’t know if that’s 100% true. 

1 hour ago, Jamie92 said:

Off the Islecroft tonight, see how a top south team does against a bottom lowland league side. Be interesting to see if Cox, Kilpatrick are still there or have left already. Hear if they get relegated, a few of the Birchtree Sunday league side will be signing but don’t know if that’s 100% true. 

Between this and your Gretna comments you’re all about ifs, buts, maybe, he said. Have you something to tell or not ?

If Abbey Vale wins the championship, as seems likely, and Creetown attains SFA membership, the Alba Cup will be very lonely next season with just five participants (six if Glasgow Wellington is approved).

1 hour ago, Jamie92 said:

Cox doesn't play midweek games, got his own buisness

Come on someone must have been at Maryfield and Castle Cary?

I was out the country, so needed others to step up and promote our clubs on an exciting day.