South of Scotland League general chat

22 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

They might well do, but that does not diminish Creetown's achievement of obtaining their licence.

They have earned the right to face Lithgae as per the rules, whether we agree with them or not; so best of luck to them.

And if Creetown are in the play-off hopefully I will be at Castlecary watching it.

1 hour ago, Jamie92 said:

In other news, strong talk of no Caley braves (Edusport academy) playing in the south next year. They will play in lowland development league instead. 

How will that work? When I watched them at St.Marys in March they didnt look like an under 20 team or am I missing something 're the development league.

Just back from St.Marys where I witnessed St.Cuthberts entertain Dalbeattie in the South Counties Cup.

Where to start; first touch was non existent, passing was dreadful, mostly hoofball on show, no composure on or off the ball, no options for player in possession who would panic and launch ball into space anyway, everything was rushed, no structure or game plan evident, a dire game from both sets of players. What sort of coaching are these teams receiving. Which was painfully evident in the Saints no.4, who looked a player with potential but needs some proper coaching to teach him to slow it down a bit and look for the pass, rather than try to force one.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Oh yeah Dalbeattie scored 2 without reply with goals at the end of each half.

First goal was a launch from defence with both Saints cb's already back in the changing room.

Second goal was down to Saints defence trying to play keepball and failing miserably.

The Star no.14 did finish both quite sweetly.

Complete lack of quality on show.

My eyes are bleeding. 

Still, wonderful entertainment and looking forward to my next dose of football probably Creetown v Threave in the Cree Cup a week next Tuesday.

On 10/04/2023 at 23:14, andy25 said:

Linlithgow will annalilate Creetown over 2 games.

Don’t be quite to sure Andy ! They’ve only lost 8 goals all Season and remember Linlithgow only beat Saints 3-2 last year and Creetown's defence is way better than theirs was ! They’ll keep it tight and compact and make themselves very hard to break down especially at home I’m sure as we’ve seen all season down here.

A huge ask undoubtedly but it’s not beyond the lads to at least surprise a fair few who regularly knock the South ! 

Good luck to them in the play off if they indeed win the South for the first time 👍🏻

On 10/04/2023 at 23:25, newcastle broon said:

Beith could easily groundshare wi a licensed club. 

After all a Glasgow club was allowed to groundshare in Alloa. 

Probs won't happen but nothing to stop them doing it. 

Surely it’s Beith who have to have the Licence not the home Club they’d ‘potentially’ share with ? 

42 minutes ago, AML67 said:

Don’t be quite to sure Andy ! They’ve only lost 8 goals all Season and remember Linlithgow only beat Saints 3-2 last year and Creetown's defence is way better than theirs was ! They’ll keep it tight and compact and make themselves very hard to break down especially at home I’m sure as we’ve seen all season down here.

A huge ask undoubtedly but it’s not beyond the lads to at least surprise a fair few who regularly knock the South ! 

Good luck to them in the play off if they indeed win the South for the first time 👍🏻

Don't worry what @andy25 says, read what he says about his own team a real life Victor Meldrew.

Last seen Creetown in Alba Cup Final; Vale had the majority of goal attempts that night and at times the defence was open and slow to react but pretty sure Creetown defence was not first choice.

Lewis Dunn, or Modric to give him his proper moniker, impressed in midfield but will Lithgae give him the time and space to play his game.

Worry for me is based on that game they didn't create anything in an attacking sense and it appeared that no one else was on Dunn's wavelength. But of reports of them obtaining licence are correct. Looking forward to the match up.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

On 11/04/2023 at 18:42, EdinburghBlue said:

Perhaps we should replace the play-offs with a poll here on P&B to decide who goes up? Maybe go even further and decide all matches by P&B opinions???

The post you are replying to refers to two football matches to decide who will go up, and it is almost certain that Linlithgow will batter Creetown over two legs. I'm not sure what you're actually disagreeing with.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The post you are replying to refers to two football matches to decide who will go up, and it is almost certain that Linlithgow will batter Creetown over two legs. I'm not sure what you're actually disagreeing with.

I don’t remember Darvel “battering” St Cuthberts last year. Was a lot closer than what people in the juniors thought 💀 

But I guess it’s just another one who has their west tinted glasses on and disregards the south… all because their champion isn’t licensed 😭😭😭

I'm commenting ironically on the comments here - but more so elsewhere in P&B - that a licensed South winner somehow doesn’t deserve to participate in the playoffs and it's demeaning to an East or West league winner to have to play them. (To be fair, this is mainly an issue with fans of Ayrshire ex-Juniors who have an unjustified arrogance about the quality of their league.) Personally I think it unlikely that Creetown would beat Linlithgow or whichever team wins the West, but some results in South versus East/West matches don’t suggest that the results would be a foregone conclusion. 

13 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I'm commenting ironically on the comments here - but more so elsewhere in P&B - that a licensed South winner somehow doesn’t deserve to participate in the playoffs and it's demeaning to an East or West league winner to have to play them. (To be fair, this is mainly an issue with fans of Ayrshire ex-Juniors who have an unjustified arrogance about the quality of their league.) Personally I think it unlikely that Creetown would beat Linlithgow or whichever team wins the West, but some results in South versus East/West matches don’t suggest that the results would be a foregone conclusion. 

inclined to agree with everything you have said, think another thing that would sway it in Linlithgows favour is the fact it would be over 2 games and not a 1 off shot. (IF Linlithgow win the East and unlicensed Beith win the West that is)

Edited by bobbydazzler

36 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:

I don’t remember Darvel “battering” St Cuthberts last year. Was a lot closer than what people in the juniors thought 💀 

But I guess it’s just another one who has their west tinted glasses on and disregards the south… all because their champion isn’t licensed 😭😭😭

The East of Scotland League champions, Tranent, the actual equivalents to Linlithgow Rose, beat them 7-0 in the play-off. I don't know what West clubs have to do with this.

However, looking at the only game Creetown have played this season against non-SoS opposition, they were beaten 3-1 in the South Challenge Cup by Royal Albert, currently second bottom of the ninth tier.

It's good that Creetown are getting licensed and that a play-off will go ahead, but I don't see how they have any chance of anything other than losing heavily.

Edited by craigkillie

6 hours ago, AML67 said:

Linlithgow beat St Cuthberts 9-0 in the Scottish this season.

The East of Scotland League champions, Tranent, the actual equivalents to Linlithgow Rose, beat them 7-0 in the play-off. I don't know what West clubs have to do with this.

However, looking at the only game Creetown have played this season against non-SoS opposition, they were beaten 3-1 in the South Challenge Cup by Royal Albert, currently second bottom of the ninth tier.

It's good that Creetown are getting licensed and that a play-off will go ahead, but I don't see how they have any chance of anything other than losing heavily.

Granted, it’s unlikely that Creetown will advance from a playoff versus Linglithgow/Wosfl winner however, a handful of south teams advanced in the south region cup versus tough opposition this year after being diminished of any hope. Creetown shouldn’t be ruled out of at least being competitive in a playoff with their counterparts. 

All this bleating about the SOS, they are Tier 6 and under the rules of the competition are eligible to put forward a licenced champion. The quality or lack of is completely irrelevant to this. 

I have seen a few South and West games this season and can judge for myself the difference in levels of ability. I have voiced my opinions previously.

What surprises me is what I was told by supporters of both teams; the majority of their players are central-belt based. So are you telling me that there are not any decent players in the South West or is it a case of managers bringing in what they know. Why would Galloway be the only place in Scotland that does not produce good footballers?

Have watched Threave in a number of games this season and as far as I know they are mostly either Dumfriesshire or Galloway based/born, and don't tell me they don't have good players.

Anyway if Creetown are getting a licence good for them and hopefully will be at Castlecary whenever it's played and you can be sure I will give an honest opinion on here afterwards.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

47 minutes ago, rockson said:

That was a very different St Cuthberts team from the one the season before though.

Have seen Saints a few times this season and to be honest they are a poor lot. Not the worst in the SOS but also nowhere near the top teams.