South of Scotland League general chat

On 18/01/2023 at 09:16, Spyro said:

Who actually plays for them? 

Is it still the French students? Or have they found a squad willing to travel from Bellshill to play in the SOS every week? 

Last time I saw the Caledonian Braves reserves it was mainly Scottish youngsters with a couple of French students. Not sure where the majority of the French kids play these days as they seem to have withdrawn their BUCS team as well.

15 hours ago, Spyro said:

Bit strange the Alba Cup being postponed from last night but the same teams playing today in the league. What's happening there? 

https://scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com/tier-6-south-of-scotland-22-23/southern-counties-fa-alba-cup-22-23/

I see from that link the game in March is at St Mary's. After the cold spell in December the pipes burst and caused damaged which is currently being fixed, meaning the ground can't be used. Would imagine the organisers are keen for the game to be there so as not to drag Creetown all the way to Dumfries for a cup final so it'll have been rearranged for when the work should be finished.

39 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Well I like to read the input on here most weeks.

Is there just 3 licensed clubs thst are able for promotion from the South? 

I read it too, but doesn't seem to be many if any from down here that do.

Yeah, none will threaten the play off this year, St.Cuthberts, Newton Stewart and I'm pretty sure Wigtown & Bladnoch.

Creetown are either in the process or have shown interest. Other than those not aware of any intent from the others.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

36 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I read it too, but doesn't seem to be many if any from down here that do.

Yeah, none will threaten the play off this year, St.Cuthberts, Newton Stewart and I'm pretty sure Wigtown & Bladnoch.

Creetown are either in the process or have shown interest. Other than those not aware of any intent from the others.

Aye I thought them 3 as well. 

When you look at it from that angle and ive always defended this league for it to be where it is in the pyramid,but it does make you think that the league shouldn't be anywhere near tier 6 considering the work other clubs are or have been doing to get licensed. 

Would certainly cause controversy but maybes an East and West pyramid be more fitting. 

3 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Aye I thought them 3 as well. 

When you look at it from that angle and ive always defended this league for it to be where it is in the pyramid,but it does make you think that the league shouldn't be anywhere near tier 6 considering the work other clubs are or have been doing to get licensed. 

Would certainly cause controversy but maybes an East and West pyramid be more fitting. 

I am on a one person crusade to drag the SOS properly into the pyramid, not this sideshow we have presently. Cue attacks.

Am I the only one that sees it as wrong that in the East we have one league covering the Lothians, Borders, Fife, Lowland Perthshire, Stirlingshire and any others I've missed. But in the West we have one league covering Glasgow, Inverclyde, Argyll, Ayrshire, Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire.

And one league with 1 Division at Tier 6 covering Dumfries & Galloway and .... if Glasgow Wellington get in Glasgow.

How can we have 2 Leagues covering the same geographical area, when this was suggested for the East a war almost broke out.

My opinion is that the SOS are happy for it to be like this as it upsets nobody and the WOS don't see the south as a threat.

Maybe we need Wellington to come south, get licensed and win the play off for the other 2 Leagues to cry foul.

Why did the SOS or anybody else not kick up a fuss when Threave moved from their Tier 6 to Tier 10 in the WOS?

What would happen if a WOS team tried to join Tier 6 in the south do they have the moral stance to reject the application on queue jumping grounds.

Will be interested to be told I am spouting rubbish. Please given valid reasoning.

6 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I am on a one person crusade to drag the SOS properly into the pyramid, not this sideshow we have presently. Cue attacks.

Apart from maybe virginton, most people on here agree that the SoSFL shouldn't be at Tier 6. Then tie themselves in knots witt their fantasy booking with how they would change it.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Apart from maybe virginton, most people on here agree that the SoSFL shouldn't be at Tier 6. Then tie themselves in knots witt their fantasy booking with how they would change it.

There was a few others that had a go a while back, basically was told to leave the SOS alone. Yeah VT gets very passionate about it. Even to the point where Threave are circumventing the system by dropping down to Tier 10. Makes no sense that one.

I don't know the answer, but it should have been thrashed out when WOS was set up, but the silence was deafening. 

I believe Threave's results have shown that the SOS teams would benefit from a season or so in a lower tier than they are now.  But, obviously nothing can be forced onto the SOS and if they are happy to waddle along as they are not much can be done. 

3 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

There was a few others that had a go a while back, basically was told to leave the SOS alone. Yeah VT gets very passionate about it. Even to the point where Threave are circumventing the system by dropping down to Tier 10. Makes no sense that one.

I don't know the answer, but it should have been thrashed out when WOS was set up, but the silence was deafening. 

I believe Threave's results have shown that the SOS teams would benefit from a season or so in a lower tier than they are now.  But, obviously nothing can be forced onto the SOS and if they are happy to waddle along as they are not much can be done. 

I do find it slightly odd that if someone has a different view regarding the future of the SOS league that they are having a go at you ?? Nothing could be further from the truth.

We did have a healthy discussion on this topic some time back but to my mind it is something for the SOS clubs to sort out for themselves. I don't believe imposing a solution on them is the way to go.

You mentioned in a post earlier that you are on a one person crusade to get them into the WOS and mentioned Glasgow Wellington as the outlier. What you seem to have conveniently forgotten was that East Kilbride & Cally Braves were also admitted to the SOS league. So they have previous in accepting clubs from the west of Scotland !

I believe the only application that the SOS league rejected in recent times was Gretna 2008 !

But feel free to carry on with your one person crusade - just don't lump everyone who has a different view as having a go !!!

9 minutes ago, VodkaTap said:

I do find it slightly odd that if someone has a different view regarding the future of the SOS league that they are having a go at you ?? Nothing could be further from the truth.

We did have a healthy discussion on this topic some time back but to my mind it is something for the SOS clubs to sort out for themselves. I don't believe imposing a solution on them is the way to go.

You mentioned in a post earlier that you are on a one person crusade to get them into the WOS and mentioned Glasgow Wellington as the outlier. What you seem to have conveniently forgotten was that East Kilbride & Cally Braves were also admitted to the SOS league. So they have previous in accepting clubs from the west of Scotland !

I believe the only application that the SOS league rejected in recent times was Gretna 2008 !

But feel free to carry on with your one person crusade - just don't lump everyone who has a different view as having a go !!!

Yet your team would be relegated to the South league.

Probably get a much greater chance of a shot at the play off in that league than the West leagues so I can see why you want the SoSFL where it is. 

Chances of winning a very weak league and a play off nearly every season or a struggle in the West leagues is a no brainer.

You'd have the same struggles as WW and Vale of Leithen are finding out.

A wee bit integrity for the good of the game required here.

1 hour ago, VodkaTap said:

My self appointing as a crusader of one league in the west was tongue in cheek tbh, it was designed to garner reactions. I remember our discussion and I did apologise for unilaterally declaring SOS was not a tier 6 league, not my place to say that. Initially I did start from a bad position being angry at Wellington application. Its easy from there to back yourself into a corner and lose your point of view defending a previous statement.

Re EK/Braves, there only was SOS servicing the West back then surely, so would say it's different now. Both leagues in Mission Statements claim to cover the West of the Lowland area. So do we now have 2 Leagues covering  the West of the country?                                  Is that not contrary to how the pyramid is meant to run?         

What do you think about Wellington's application to the SOS? It smacks as a publicity stunt.

I was surprised Threave's move to the WOS seemed to go through without any objections.

I believe there should be one East League set up and one West League set up beneath the Lowland and enjoy discussing it whether other posters agree or not. In the end I might be proved wrong in my view, that's cool.

Covered a few different points but ones to discuss I feel?

Will be at Alba Cup Final so I'm not anti-south football. Just anti 2 league setups in the west.

I know dug wi a bone.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

46 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Yet your team would be relegated to the South league.

Probably get a much greater chance of a shot at the play off in that league than the West leagues so I can see why you want the SoSFL where it is. 

Chances of winning a very weak league and a play off nearly every season or a struggle in the West leagues is a no brainer.

You'd have the same struggles as WW and Vale of Leithen are finding out.

A wee bit integrity for the good of the game required here.

Personally I dont feel which tier 6 league Gretna or Dalbeattie or whomever, drops into is an issue its more the question; do the teams deemed to be in the west of the lowland have a choice. The relative strengths of each league is not relevant. Teams in the east do not have this apparent choice.

A bigger question for me is to do with what Glasgow Wellington are doing they, along with any other new club, can choose which league they can enter in the West. Again this is not available in the east. 

Surely not how we want a pyramid to run?

22 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Personally I dont feel which tier 6 league Gretna or Dalbeattie or whomever, drops into is an issue its more the question; do the teams deemed to be in the west of the lowland have a choice. The relative strengths of each league is not relevant. Teams in the east do not have this apparent choice.

A bigger question for me is to do with what Glasgow Wellington are doing they, along with any other new club, can choose which league they can enter in the West. Again this is not available in the east. 

Surely not how we want a pyramid to run?

I've just had to Google who they are. 

Saturday morning amateurs ?

What league are they in now ?

Im all for new teams in the pyramid but bottom WEST league is where they should be,certainly not SoSFL though BSC were allowed to move to Alloa and Edusport were originally in Annan so nothing would surprise me. 

Playing in the SoSFL can have them fast tracked in a couple seasons into LL,the same can be said of Dalbeattie and Gretna. 

It's far too weak a league to even be considered tier 6.

Everyone is entitled to a view whether agreements or disagreements its how a forum should work. 

11 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

I've just had to Google who they are. 

Saturday morning amateurs ?

What league are they in now ?

Im all for new teams in the pyramid but bottom WEST league is where they should be,certainly not SoSFL though BSC were allowed to move to Alloa and Edusport were originally in Annan so nothing would surprise me. 

Playing in the SoSFL can have them fast tracked in a couple seasons into LL,the same can be said of Dalbeattie and Gretna. 

Everyone is entitled to a view whether agreements or disagreements its how a forum should work. 

Wellington appear to be another podcast club, it's all about the publicity. I hope the SOS do due diligence before allowing them in, if it turns 'Syngenta', I don't want my local league to be damaged by it.

For me, when the West Juniors were becoming pyramid friendly that's when SOS/WOS should have been sorted but it was never discussed, head in the sand time.

Can the 2 Leagues be integrated now? 

Neither league seem concerned that 2 Leagues are covering the same geographical area.

As much as I applaud Threave moving, Why was it never questioned?

22 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

In that case it would be unlikely to provide a side capable of winning the play-offs for the Lowland League so there would be no point in being in it.