South of Scotland League general chat

Cally Braves and their previous aliases should be a warning to the southern counties members on clubs  jumping on the bandwagon of an easier?? pathway to the Lowland League. By and large the teams in the South have kept going thro thick and thin for the last 50 odd years. The standards they have reached ,on low budgets, during that time are remarkable when you look back to the old tin baths(if you were lucky) and no dugouts! Regionalisation is not the worst option by any means.Think very carefully before you vote for Christmas .   

On 28/10/2022 at 09:14, HorseyGhirl said:

This highlights in big shiny neon lights why the anomaly of the WOS and SOS covering the same geographical area needs sorting now.

I remember when West was set up the boundaries were clearly defined between East and West, where SOS not involved.

How is it credible that a newly registered senior team can go straight in at Tier 6. 

Our pyramid system is not well, the Leagues need to sit down and sort out the South.

I watch South teams and there is no way any of them are Tier 6 quality.

Not even close.

#getirsorted

And you reckon the East was prior to the Junior invasion when it was struggling with 13 Teams ??? 

I don't really know where the idea of there being this supposed major clamour to "downgrade" the SoSL is coming from...or if it even exists at all outwith this forum.

I was at 38 WoS league games & a handful of cup games last season and with the exception of one utter moon-howler (at Benburb, I think) I never heard anyone even mention the SoSL until we got to the play-off stage of the season and, even then, nobody took the view that St. Cuthbert Wanderers shouldn't be entitled to a play-off place. 

Edited by Black Pennel
Distracted by wild animals

On 29/10/2022 at 15:08, HorseyGhirl said:

Don't mean to come across as anti SOS, I fully applaud what Threave have done. They are looking at it long term and see their future as a viable and competitive club in the WOS.

I am an idealist and would love to see a fully functioning non league system.

There is a buzz around the WOS these days including the introduction of the new teams in Division 4.

The SOS is basically a D&G League. The way the pyreamid was set up at the beginning was not a problem of their making as has been well documented.

But now the West is properly represented, this anomaly needs to be addressed. Should have happened at the start of the WOS, but we are where we are.

Also as long as this anomaly exists it causes a problem for the LL in terms of promotion. It would be much simpler for them to vote in a 2 up 2 down if there were 2xleagues beneath them. Not this 2 and a bit.

This nonsense from Wellington lays bare the problem, Threave drop down from 6 to 10, they would have had a strong case for being entered at 6 in the WOS, whereas any new team can leapfrog the system legally by joining the SOS.

The league's involved need to sit down like adults and sort this out.

One swallow doesn't make a summer but two big upsets, away from home too .........

South Challenge Cup Round THREE:

Cambuslang Rangers WPr    v 1    S Newton Stewart
Jeanfield Swifts EPr 1     v 2    S Lochar Thistle

Edited by Dev

2 hours ago, Dev said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer but two big upsets, away from home too .........

South Challenge Cup Round THREE:

Cambuslang Rangers WPr    v 1    S Newton Stewart
Jeanfield Swifts EPr 1     v 2    S Lochar Thistle

First off apologies for saying earlier that SOS teams arent Tier 6. That was wrong and actually irrelevant to my thoughts on the system.

Excellent results for both and also good showing by Abbey Vale, unfortunately local team St.Cuthberts didn't fare as well.

Hoping Threave get through to 4th as would love to see them play St.Cadocs. Which is one of my points would love these games to become the norm down here.

Still standby what I said about Wellington, legally trying to leapfrog the system.

EOS any new team has to join at Tier 9. WOS any new team joins at Tier 10. SOS a new team can go straight in at Tier 6. 

It's a loophole, don't like loopholes.

Another point to make EOS covers Lothians, Borders, Fife, Stirling/Falkirk, parts of Perthshire. WOS Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, Glasgow, Inverclyde and Argyll. SOS covers Dumfries&Galloway there must be others who see this anomaly. And I don't buy this the South isn't harming anyone. It should be a vibrant part of the system not a tag-on. Threave have brought an added vibrancy and interest to Tier 10.

Rant over. Looking forward to getting shot down.

2 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

First off apologies for saying earlier that SOS teams arent Tier 6. That was wrong and actually irrelevant to my thoughts on the system.

Excellent results for both and also good showing by Abbey Vale, unfortunately local team St.Cuthberts didn't fare as well.

Hoping Threave get through to 4th as would love to see them play St.Cadocs. Which is one of my points would love these games to become the norm down here.

Still standby what I said about Wellington, legally trying to leapfrog the system.

EOS any new team has to join at Tier 9. WOS any new team joins at Tier 10. SOS a new team can go straight in at Tier 6. 

It's a loophole, don't like loopholes.

Another point to make EOS covers Lothians, Borders, Fife, Stirling/Falkirk, parts of Perthshire. WOS Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, Glasgow, Inverclyde and Argyll. SOS covers Dumfries&Galloway there must be others who see this anomaly. And I don't buy this the South isn't harming anyone. It should be a vibrant part of the system not a tag-on. Threave have brought an added vibrancy and interest to Tier 10.

Rant over. Looking forward to getting shot down.

You keep repeating those same comments -  as if that will give them more legitimacy !

I disagreed with those comments before and will have to continue to do so.

If the SOS had more teams then they also would have a second division - but they do not so, any new entrant joins with the rest

And no - I don't accept you premise that D & G is an anomaly either.

But - continue to enjoy your rants on this matter!!

20 hours ago, Hossy87 said:

There's also a good chance the SoS has a Lowland League team join next season, with potentially 2x new entrants.

Do we know if Dalbeattie when/if relegated have indicated if they are going South or West? If they have that option.

On 20/11/2022 at 14:04, HorseyGhirl said:

SOS covers Dumfries&Galloway there must be others who see this anomaly. And I don't buy this the South isn't harming anyone. It should be a vibrant part of the system not a tag-on. Threave have brought an added vibrancy and interest to Tier 10.

Not actually. Some excerpts from the SoSFL constitution, where there's no mention of Dumfries or Galloway.

To Develop, Foster, Co-Ordinate and Sustain Association Football at the Club and League level throughout South West Scotland"

To play and promote Association Football in the South of Scotland

All clubs in the South of Scotland Region playing under the rules of the Scottish FA and the Laws of the game issued by the International Board shall be eligible for membership

The SFA should probably step in and demand clarification/agreement with the WoSFL, but clearly most of the WoSFL members are eligible for SoSFL membership.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...