South of Scotland League general chat

Let's hope that if there are significant changes then all current clubs will be able to continue within the Pyramid.

Regionalisation would seem to be a priority if there is to be change. It could help some of the WoS clubs too if that was to come in. 

3 hours ago, Hossy87 said:

Assumed they are working towards it, hopefully they do, and one of the Dumfries clubs.

Cheers.

Assume that it may be Lochar Thistle as they're planning entry into the Development League (and have a new ground lined up?).

My local side Cambuslang Rangers have signed Sean McKenzie from Nithsdale Wanderers. He obviously knows where the net is given he's scored 60 odd goals but will be make the step up ok?
He'll be back at Nithsdale before Christmas and will have had a few red cards as well

2 hours ago, andy25 said:
6 hours ago, AM-1 said:
My local side Cambuslang Rangers have signed Sean McKenzie from Nithsdale Wanderers. He obviously knows where the net is given he's scored 60 odd goals but will be make the step up ok?

He'll be back at Nithsdale before Christmas and will have had a few red cards as well

What makes u think this??

On 07/06/2022 at 18:08, AM-1 said:

What makes u think this??

Brilliant player, when Annan were signing Tommy Goss and Ian Anderson, Sean should have been at the top of the list. His footballing ability and goal scoring is unbelievable but he’s an absolute nut job. 

• 2 weeks later...

Josh Gardner appointed St Cuthbert Wanderers manager

St Cuthbert Wanderers have moved quickly to appoint a new manager.

The South of Scotland League champions have picked Josh Gardner (pictured) to replace Jordan Williamson, who left to take the reins at Dalbeattie Star earlier this month.

The former Albion Rovers, Clyde and Gartcairn coach will be assisted by Scott Black with Paul Hilston and Ian Clark, as well as long-serving St Cuthbert Wanderers player Raymond Gordon, as coaches.

He said: “St Cuthberts have got quite a contingency of central belt players and I’ve coached a lot of them beforehand. I think the contact came through a couple of them and I think the recommendation came through John Renwick.

“I had a meeting with the committee and they seemed to like what I said.

“I’m a central belt guy as well and, if I’m being totally honest, before a couple of the central boys signed for Saints I didn’t really know who they were, so I’ve only really known about them for a season. A lot of those guys speak really highly of the committee, the facilities and how they’re treated.

When I went down to the ground I was really impressed, it would give a lot of the central belt clubs a run for their money. Facilities wise it’s probably one of the best you’ll see.

“I thought the committee were brilliant, they had a real enthusiasm for the game, you can tell they love the club and they can’t do enough for you.”

Gardner has had coaching stints with several central belt clubs including Gartcairn and SPFL sides Albion Rovers and Clyde, where he was involved with development teams as well as enjoying some opportunities with the first team.

He also had spells with Royal Albert and East Kilbride Thistle before taking amateur side AS Airdrie to their best league finish in a decade and a cup final last season.

He said: “I’ve got a wee bit of experience and I’ve built up contacts in the professional game as I’ve learned under good managers like Danny Lennon and Brian Kerr and I just feel as if this is the next step.

“Jordan and his staff have done a great job and they’ve left after a successful year and he’ll probably go on to do really well at Dalbeattie.

“I think you’ve always got to strive for better, there’s no point me coming in and saying I want to do the same or worse. I want to try to kick on.

“I’d like to grow the connection between the professional clubs in and around Kirkcudbright to build a better player pool and to retain the league title and try to build a team that’s more equipped for the play-offs.”

Saints chairperson, Tracey McGarrie, said: “We are naturally disappointed to lose Jordan, but from my first meeting with Josh it was apparent that his ethos was similar to that of Jordan’s and we were making the right choice.

Josh Gardner appointed St Cuthbert Wanderers manager

St Cuthbert Wanderers have moved quickly to appoint a new manager.

The South of Scotland League champions have picked Josh Gardner (pictured) to replace Jordan Williamson, who left to take the reins at Dalbeattie Star earlier this month.

The former Albion Rovers, Clyde and Gartcairn coach will be assisted by Scott Black with Paul Hilston and Ian Clark, as well as long-serving St Cuthbert Wanderers player Raymond Gordon, as coaches.

He said: “St Cuthberts have got quite a contingency of central belt players and I’ve coached a lot of them beforehand. I think the contact came through a couple of them and I think the recommendation came through John Renwick.

“I had a meeting with the committee and they seemed to like what I said.

“I’m a central belt guy as well and, if I’m being totally honest, before a couple of the central boys signed for Saints I didn’t really know who they were, so I’ve only really known about them for a season. A lot of those guys speak really highly of the committee, the facilities and how they’re treated.

When I went down to the ground I was really impressed, it would give a lot of the central belt clubs a run for their money. Facilities wise it’s probably one of the best you’ll see.

“I thought the committee were brilliant, they had a real enthusiasm for the game, you can tell they love the club and they can’t do enough for you.”

Gardner has had coaching stints with several central belt clubs including Gartcairn and SPFL sides Albion Rovers and Clyde, where he was involved with development teams as well as enjoying some opportunities with the first team.

He also had spells with Royal Albert and East Kilbride Thistle before taking amateur side AS Airdrie to their best league finish in a decade and a cup final last season.

He said: “I’ve got a wee bit of experience and I’ve built up contacts in the professional game as I’ve learned under good managers like Danny Lennon and Brian Kerr and I just feel as if this is the next step.

“Jordan and his staff have done a great job and they’ve left after a successful year and he’ll probably go on to do really well at Dalbeattie.

“I think you’ve always got to strive for better, there’s no point me coming in and saying I want to do the same or worse. I want to try to kick on.

“I’d like to grow the connection between the professional clubs in and around Kirkcudbright to build a better player pool and to retain the league title and try to build a team that’s more equipped for the play-offs.”

Saints chairperson, Tracey McGarrie, said: “We are naturally disappointed to lose Jordan, but from my first meeting with Josh it was apparent that his ethos was similar to that of Jordan’s and we were making the right choice.

Trained under Gardner when I was at Royal Albert during Covid, played under Black and won trophies with him at amateur level.

Should be a good appointment.

On 31/05/2022 at 22:32, Burnieman said:

I used to have a lot of sympathy for the SoS, and to be fair they shouldn't be "bullied" into anything they don't want to do.  However, can they really be honest with themselves and think they should still retain a place at tier 6?  Champions soundly beaten in the Play-offs and Nithsdale suffering a double digit defeat against Drumchapel.

What were the reasons Threave Rovers left? they clearly see a better future in the WoS.

There are two solutions to this as far as I can see.  The SoS join up with the WoS at the lowest level (maybe WoS regionalising that level) or all clubs join the WoS and the SoS is wound up, perhaps just overseeing a couple of regional cups instead.

Of course none of this effects SFA Licencing.

Champions beaten 3-1 by a Darvel side we’ll all agree was assembled at a vast expense compared to virtually every non league club in the Country never mind the limited finance available in the South and to use the Nithsdale result when they had multiple suspensions of key players ( self inflicted admittedly ) is hardly the best yardstick to chose is it ? You’d have to ask Threave why they made this decision as no one locally seems to see the benefits but that’s their choice. 

A merger is possible I’d say imo in the future but as has been said many times the South at Tier 6 u,Tim’s tell holds no one back does it ? It’s very convenient again imo for all the former Junior teams to jump on board , assume they can call the shots and dictate how things work when for a Century they had no interest whatsoever until Kelty showed them the grass might just be greener on the other side ! No one denies the obvious difference in standard but what does moving the SoS in terms of tiers do to help any ambitious teams out there when we apparently represent a very small obstacle  

1 minute ago, AML67 said:

Champions beaten 3-1 by a Darvel side we’ll all agree was assembled at a vast expense compared to virtually every non league club in the Country never mind the limited finance available in the South and to use the Nithsdale result when they had multiple suspensions of key players ( self inflicted admittedly ) is hardly the best yardstick to chose is it ? You’d have to ask Threave why they made this decision as no one locally seems to see the benefits but that’s their choice. 

A merger is possible I’d say imo in the future but as has been said many times the South at Tier 6 u,Tim’s tell holds no one back does it ? It’s very convenient again imo for all the former Junior teams to jump on board , assume they can call the shots and dictate how things work when for a Century they had no interest whatsoever until Kelty showed them the grass might just be greener on the other side ! No one denies the obvious difference in standard but what does moving the SoS in terms of tiers do to help any ambitious teams out there when we apparently represent a very small obstacle  

Have definitely read posts in the past couple of days denying this.

I think there's no big issue now but there will be when the Lowland League eventually starts increasing the number of relegation spots.

While you can point to posters on here having a vocal opinion on things, I don't think the actions of the clubs would come close to be considered dictating.

As for this being some ex-Junior centric point of contention. The topic of what goes below the Lowland League has been a topic of discussion long before the Junior exodus.

1 hour ago, AML67 said:

Champions beaten 3-1 by a Darvel side we’ll all agree was assembled at a vast expense compared to virtually every non league club in the Country never mind the limited finance available in the South and to use the Nithsdale result when they had multiple suspensions of key players ( self inflicted admittedly ) is hardly the best yardstick to chose is it ?

It's a yardstick that follows an established pattern for the last few seasons in the South Challenge Cup.

As for the ex-Junior dig, nobody is calling the shots. We're just a few people on a forum debating it (and well before Juniors moved Senior). However, I think most people recognise that if the pyramid is being reviewed (and it is apparently via PWG), then the SoS tier 6 situation should be looked at.

Is your club looking to achieve promotion to the LL?

Edited by Burnieman

34 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It's a yardstick that follows an established pattern for the last few seasons in the South Challenge Cup.

As for the ex-Junior dig, nobody is calling the shots. We're just a few people on a forum debating it (and well before Juniors moved Senior). However, I think most people recognise that if the pyramid is being reviewed (and it is apparently via PWG), then the SoS tier 6 situation should be looked at.

Is your club looking to achieve promotion to the LL?

You know me David and I’ll always be honest and say that it would be incredibly difficult due to our geographical location and the obvious difficulties of getting lads off work early to make midweek matches in the Central belt etc. 

How many of the members teams in the East and West realistically have ambitions of LL football , I’d assume very few but I appreciate the situation and we’ll take things as they come regardless 

22 minutes ago, AML67 said:

You know me David and I’ll always be honest and say that it would be incredibly difficult due to our geographical location and the obvious difficulties of getting lads off work early to make midweek matches in the Central belt etc. 

How many of the members teams in the East and West realistically have ambitions of LL football , I’d assume very few but I appreciate the situation and we’ll take things as they come regardless 

You've illustrated why the SoS at tier 6 needs reviewed.

I think most clubs in the EoS and WoS would jump at the chance of promotion to the LL, but given you need to win the league, it's really only going to be a small percentage of them that will.

5 hours ago, Burnieman said:

You've illustrated why the SoS at tier 6 needs reviewed.

I think most clubs in the EoS and WoS would jump at the chance of promotion to the LL, but given you need to win the league, it's really only going to be a small percentage of them that will.

Not until it's something worth jumping into they wouldn't.

On 26/06/2022 at 17:36, FairWeatherFan said:

While you can point to posters on here having a vocal opinion on things, I don't think the actions of the clubs would come close to be considered dictating.

As for this being some ex-Junior centric point of contention. The topic of what goes below the Lowland League has been a topic of discussion long before the Junior exodus.

Thanks for that Fairweatherfan
Its an interesting read finding out what people's views where back in 2015