South of Scotland League general chat

1 minute ago, archieb said:

Threave's application to the WoSFL is confirmed.

As they are more than likely to be accepted, do they realise they'll be either in an expanded two-conference Div3 at Tier 9 or Div4 at Tier 10? (Rather than alongside old rivals Bonnyton at Tier7!)

When the penny drops, might their application be withdrawn?

Why would they think they'd be in Tier 7? Anyone with a passing knowledge of what's happening this season would have known that the WoS is using the Conferences to form tiered divisions. Plus they've actually been in the application process for weeks now so would have been informed by the WoS Board what would be happening.

I honestly don't think any of the SoS clubs (including Threave Rovers) have any ambitions of playing in the Lowland League. I think it's very unlikely they'll be able to win the promotion playoffs but, even if they could, I just don't see them being keen to move up. Perhaps Threave have decided to go for a new challenge. I can see why they might want to move. The SoS is a small league including two reserve teams and there are no amateur leagues left in Dumfries & Galloway so little potential for new clubs. The only possible clubs are ones being relegated into the league (Gretna and Dalbeattie) and, if Threave are accepted into the WoS, you have to wonder if Gretna and Dalbeattie would get to choose to go to either the WoS or SoS rather than automatically being placed in the SoS. Threave leaving would certainly weaken the league. 

• 2 weeks later...

With one of their best clubs (and one of the few with a licence) jumping ship to the WoS, there needs to be a review of where the SoS sits within the Pyramid. This move may prompt other clubs to follow Threave.

I can't see Dalbeattie and Gretna wanting to drop into the SoS when/if the times comes to drop a level.

27 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

With one of their best clubs (and one of the few with a licence) jumping ship to the WoS, there needs to be a review of where the SoS sits within the Pyramid. This move may prompt other clubs to follow Threave.

I can't see Dalbeattie and Gretna wanting to drop into the SoS when/if the times comes to drop a level.

Nowt's going to change until the Lowland open up relegation which would mean changes to the playoff.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Agreed. It will be very interesting if one or two other clubs (like St. Cuthbert Wanderers) follow. That would probably force the hand of those in charge.

I think the league should merge with the WoS and they could have a division four north and south in the bottom tier.  I would be very surprised if any of the remaining clubs in the league have any ambitions to play in the Lowland League. They also have no source of new clubs except, perhaps, some old clubs reforming or youth clubs forming an adult team. They're down to just ten first teams left in the league.

With Threave being accepted into the WoS (we assume) then surely Dalbeattie and Gretna have a very strong case for dropping to the WoS if they get relegated from the Lowland League (assuming that's where they want to go).

I don't see how it would work to drop the league to tier 7 instead of tier 6. Promoting their clubs into the WoS Premier? I don't think that is a viable solution at all. Having the league remain at tier 6 is likely to cause problems for the playoffs as if/when the Lowland League finally opens up relegation a bit more.

Edited by stanley

12 minutes ago, stanley said:

Agreed. It will be very interesting if one or two other clubs (like St. Cuthbert Wanderers) follow. That would probably force the hand of those in charge.

I think the league should merge with the WoS and they could have a division four north and south in the bottom tier.  I would be very surprised if any of the remaining clubs in the league have any ambitions to play in the Lowland League. They also have no source of new clubs except, perhaps, some old clubs reforming or youth clubs forming an adult team. They're down to just ten first teams left in the league.

With Threave being accepted into the WoS (we assume) then surely Dalbeattie and Gretna have a very strong case for dropping to the WoS if they get relegated from the Lowland League (assuming that's where they want to go).

I don't see how it would work to drop the league to tier 7 instead of tier 6. Promoting their clubs into the WoS Premier? I don't think that is a viable solution at all. Having the league remain at tier 6 is likely to cause problems for the playoffs as if/when the Lowland League finally opens up relegation a bit more.

There's talk of the WoS capping it's membership aiming to be just five 16x Divisions. There will still be plenty of other clubs in Strathclyde that would want to join the pyramid if that's the case.

I think longer term once this plays out you could see the SoS slot in under the WoSFL with the creation/reinvention of Central & Ayrshire amateurs into pyramid leagues that would also act as feeders.

So, whenever the SoS has to merge - playing devil's advocate - with the WoS, what happens if all 11 clubs (excl Stranraer Res) or the 3 current member clubs (possibly 5 soon) want to stay at T6.

You can't force them down to the bottom Tier.

We all go onto the park to win, compete and be successful. Yes, we may struggle against most of the T6 WoS clubs, but you can't penalise the clubs for that. 

We've been a part of the pyramid from day 1, and have worked tirelessly to be a licensed club and maintain the required standards to keep that license.

A conversation needs to be had, but it needs to be open, transparent and fair to all parties in both associations.

So, let's hear it. What's the fairest solution?

1 hour ago, Hossy87 said:

I used to have a lot of sympathy for the SoS, and to be fair they shouldn't be "bullied" into anything they don't want to do.  However, can they really be honest with themselves and think they should still retain a place at tier 6?  Champions soundly beaten in the Play-offs and Nithsdale suffering a double digit defeat against Drumchapel.

What were the reasons Threave Rovers left? they clearly see a better future in the WoS.

There are two solutions to this as far as I can see.  The SoS join up with the WoS at the lowest level (maybe WoS regionalising that level) or all clubs join the WoS and the SoS is wound up, perhaps just overseeing a couple of regional cups instead.

Of course none of this effects SFA Licencing.

So, whenever the SoS has to merge - playing devil's advocate - with the WoS, what happens if all 11 clubs (excl Stranraer Res) or the 3 current member clubs (possibly 5 soon) want to stay at T6.

We all go onto the park to win, compete and be successful. Yes, we may struggle against most of the T6 WoS clubs, but you can't penalise the clubs for that. 

We've been a part of the pyramid from day 1, and have worked tirelessly to be a licensed club and maintain the required standards to keep that license.

A conversation needs to be had, but it needs to be open, transparent and fair to all parties in both associations.

When the East German league merged into the West German system they didn't go half and half because of the obvious gulf in quality between the leagues, and the same would have to apply here. Maybe the league champions to Tier 6, another handful to Tier 7 and so on. Have play-offs if it helps.

The South is part of the Lowland pyramid playoff. No one is going to force them anywhere.

There's going to be another year of Scottish, South Challenge Cup, Cup Winners Shield, and LL Playoff results that will inform where the league's overall standing lies. If the SCC keeps regionalisation in the early rounds it will be even more telling where it fits alongside the WoSFL.

12 hours ago, Hossy87 said:

Which clubs are heading for a licence? Creetown?