Thistle on Thistle (11/09)

We were awful in that first half and Partick did look decent going forward. Their goal was such a weird one as it seemed to go in near the middle of the goal but Ridgers was nowhere near it. Not got a clue how Graham missed that chance, great save from Ridgers but the striker should never be missing that. If that goes in I think it is game over.

Fair play to Billy Dodds, whatever he said at half time it clearly worked. Thought we were brilliant in the second half. That Broadfoot goal was ridiculous. It seemed that the crowd was more laughing than celebrating. An absolute howler from the Partick keeper let Sutherland in for an easy finish to take the lead and the third was a belter from Doran, fantastic strike and we were comfortable for the rest of the game. Another well deserved win.

That partick number 7, Tiffoney looks like a decent player and he gave Carson all sorts of bother, especially in the first half plus on a few occasions in the second, but he doesn’t half fall to the ground easily. Three or four times in the second half he was on the ground looking for fouls where he was barely even touched. Brian Graham got away with an elbow into Carsons face just before he was brought off too.

1. Thistle ‘fans’ who seem to take pleasure in their own team losing because they don’t like the manager, are weirdos. 

2. Fair play to ICT, were much better in 2nd half and got the deserved win, no doubt Sneddon’s error was pivotal but don’t think we showed enough urgency to get back into the game even at 2-1. 

3. Onto next week now, Huge match v Killie at Firhill, our response if conceding must be better than it has been v Arbroath and Caley. Rudden and Graham is still our best option up front imo (not sure why McCall didn’t start Rudden today). 

Edited by JagsCG

34 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Not got a clue how Graham missed that chance, 

Brian Graham got away with an elbow into Carsons face just before he was brought off too.

The answer to your question is contained within the second sentence.

Graham was concentrating more on assaulting opponents than positive play.

What a thick, thick individual.

What an energy in the stadium in the second half after the Beckenbauer Broadfoot goal and that third goal was a thing of great beauty.

50 minutes ago, sophia said:

The answer to your question is contained within the second sentence.

Graham was concentrating more on assaulting opponents than positive play.

What a thick, thick individual.

What an energy in the stadium in the second half after the Beckenbauer Broadfoot goal and that third goal was a thing of great beauty.

You tend to see plenty of professional fouling with ageing strikers.

First half was really poor from us. Partick should have been well ahead. That Graham miss likely cost them a point.

Stunning turnaround in the second half so full credit to Dodds and the players. We were outstanding. Great finish from Sutherland for the second and Doran's strike was absolutely delicious!

It's far too early to say we if we have a shot at the title but I am going to enjoy the ride for as long as I can. Bring on the Pars!

15 minutes ago, RiG said:

First half was really poor from us. Partick should have been well ahead. That Graham miss likely cost them a point.

Stunning turnaround in the second half so full credit to Dodds and the players. We were outstanding. Great finish from Sutherland for the second and Doran's strike was absolutely delicious!

It's far too early to say we will win the league but I am going to enjoy the ride for as long as I can. Bring on the Pars!

Wait… so you’re saying I shouldn’t already have the champagne on ice?

23 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Would you take Kieran Wright on loan again?

Unless, he's injured, it seems that he's been frozen out at Rangers.  

He doesn't really fit the bill of experienced goalkeeper, does he? He was alright, but I'm not convinced he's a massive upgrade on Sneddon - don't know about Stone as I've only seen him once, and that was in the Arbroath game. I would assume he's not like that every week.

If we're getting anyone, I would assume it'll be someone released from League One/Two down south. 

16 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He doesn't really fit the bill of experienced goalkeeper, does he? He was alright, but I'm not convinced he's a massive upgrade on Sneddon - don't know about Stone as I've only seen him once, and that was in the Arbroath game. I would assume he's not like that every week.

If we're getting anyone, I would assume it'll be someone released from League One/Two down south. 

Fair comment. We can only hope that Stone and Sneddon improve soon. Kenny Arthur should be under pressure if they don't.

58 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Would you take Kieran Wright on loan again?

Unless, he's injured, it seems that he's been frozen out at Rangers.  

I don’t think so. As mentioned above he doesn’t fit the “experienced” label that we really need in goals right now.

I wasn’t that enamoured with Wright in the first place last season. He was generally ok at League One level but had a couple of mistakes which luckily we weren’t punished for. I’m not sure there’s really much difference between him and Sneddon, and for that reason he’s a “no” from me.

I’m feeling naively positive after that today. Going into it, I thought that today would tell us more about how the season is likely to go than the rest of the matches so far. 

Whilst we were pish in the first half, I didn’t think Thistle looked that great. Tiffoney was running the show and Turner (I think?) was good, however I still thought we were winning the midfield battle -  just lacking fluidity going forward. I had a weird confidence we wouldn’t lose, which is an unusual feeling as a Caley Thistle fan. Yon Brian Graham miss was hilarious, if he scores that we probably don’t win.

Second half we were excellent. We looked a really, really good side. The attitude and application from this team looks like that of a successful side and that’s why we’ve won 5 out of 5. Scott Allardice and Roddy MacGregor were brilliant, as was Aaron Doran. Shane Sutherland was obviously gifted his goal however I think he’s an unsung hero at times. The work rate he and Duku provide up top is the basis for much of our success, and that’s why Dodds is sticking by them. If Thistle and Killie are supposed to be finishing above us then based on what I’ve seen so far, we genuinely might be title contenders. #Doddsball