Thistle on Thistle (11/09)

Another top of the table tussle involving ICT? Sign me up!

After defeating Kilmarnock in deepest, darkest Ayrshire we return to the fresh air of the Highlands to take on Glasgow's finest Partick Thistle! A thumping defeat of in form Highland League side Buckie Thistle has left Billy Dodds with some interesting decisions to make after the likes of Billy Mckay and Lewis Jamieson staked their claim for regular starting spots up front and Sean Welsh also looks likely to challenge in form Roddy MacGregor and Scott Allardice for one of the midfield spots. All in all ten changes were made on Saturday and we could see another mass shake up of the squad for this tough fixture. Ian McCall had our number the last time we were in the same league. Despite their struggles at the time Partick handed out a few telts to us that belied their lowly position in the league and for that reason I am feeling pretty apprehensive about this fixture. Some decent signings in the summer and that big walloper Brain Graham up front, who is surely bound to score, do nothing to compound my anxiety ahead of this fixture.

Still though, where else would you rather be on a Saturday afternoon? Let's go!

Edited by RiG

• RiG changed the title to Thistle on Thistle (11/09)

I have no stats to back this up but I feel we do quite well against Inverness when they're heavily expected to beat us or on a good run. 

I'm fairly confident based on the games so far we won't be in relegation trouble this season but this game and next week at home to Killie will give us a decent estimate of how close to the top we might be. 

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Are Caley steaming this one? And if so, are you still using that Pixellot shite?

We will be and no, we have ditched Pixellot.

I’ve used the stream once and had no complaints with it at all. Much improved from last year.

Just now, PB1994 said:

we have ditched Pixellot.

Thank f**k for that.

Anyway, hopefully we have an actual right back available and aren’t playing Shea Gordon there. While he’s been fine in the two games there, they were against Stranraer and the worst performance I’ve seen at this level in a long time from Morton. If we have Mayo back, it’ll probably be Akinola there I’d assume.

Other than that, not sure I’d change much from how we started the Morton game. Sneddon doesn’t deserve to be dropped at the minute, despite my (and many others) concerns about him, and I don’t think Smith did enough against Stranraer to force his way in ahead of Tiffoney or Turner.

We’ll score from a corner at some point, and I’m absolutely certain that Billy McKay will score. I’ll say a wildly optimistic 2-1 to Thistle (Partick). 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

I have no stats to back this up but I feel we do quite well against Inverness when they're heavily expected to beat us or on a good run. 

I'm fairly confident based on the games so far we won't be in relegation trouble this season but this game and next week at home to Killie will give us a decent estimate of how close to the top we might be. 

I think in recent years our record is probably quite favourable. This will be an interesting game, Caley have won every game so far 1-0 and we've scored 3 goals in every game barring the Arbroath game. So McCall's "we'll just have to score more" is probably going to be required. 

I do really enjoy watching our football right now, first time in ages we actually look quite a threatening side going forward. 

f**k it, Caley to get their customary goal, Graham x2 and Rudden x2, 3-1 the real Thistle. 

Edited by thistledo

I’d be concerned if we’re playing Shea Gordon at RB (despite his very able performances in the last 2 games there), so either Akinola goes over to RB, or Holt goes to LB and allows Foster to go to RB - given Holt’s form as a CB the latter seems unrealistic. 

I think this will be a fairly tight affair, and (along with the Killie game) this will really tell us where we expect to be this season. 

2-1 to PTFC. 

Seen us go up there and cuff ICT 4 0. Also seen us get gubbed 3 0 in Inverness as well. Favourite was the Doolan winner first season back. Zero goals conceded by ICT so far and reckon that will come under serious threat on Saturday. 

Inverness will be brimming with confidence as should we. Close game coming but we have a great record in Inverness. Should be a great game. 0-0.

The head to head for this is very even, with Partick winning one more game. Despite that I always feel that we have a terrible record when we play Partick.

Have to be confident of getting a win here as we are at home, unbeaten and haven’t conceded a goal but I am expecting a tough match.

36 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

Have you tried that again since that day?

Unsurprisingly no :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

Fond memories of that game

The linesman made an utter cock up. He shooed away the Partick player, let us take the corner, have an effort on goal, let Doran score and then he stuck his flag up. He screwed both sides over that day.

16 minutes ago, RiG said:

The linesman made an utter cock up. He shooed away the Partick player, let us take the corner, have an effort on goal, let Doran score and then he stuck his flag up. He screwed both sides over that day.

Aye I mind watching it on sky, I think, and the linesman I think realised he’d made an arse of it after Doran ran off with the ball and was desperately hoping it’d come to nothing and could just move on.

As I recall, Caley had another goal disallowed that day for a ‘foul’ on the keeper that definitely wasn’t a foul and then the keeper absolutely handed us the win right at the end. That might have been a different game though. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

26 minutes ago, RiG said:

Aye that's how I remember it. Kris Doolans day as well 😁

25 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

As I recall, Caley had another goal disallowed that day for a ‘foul’ on the keeper that definitely wasn’t a foul and then the keeper absolutely handed us the win right at the end. That might have been a different game though. 

I can't remember what happened but if Scott Fox was in goals for you I would be willing to bet a decent amount of money that he crumbled under no pressure from one of our players to "sell" a foul.

ETA: FFS found the highlights. Classic Fox! :lol:

Edited by RiG

I remember watching that game in The Fluke and I don't think I've ever seen so seething in my life.  I knew the duty manager who was on and went in the next day and apologised to her for my behavior.