Raith v East Fife

steakngravy

I don't understand why McGlynn doesn't play Thomson more in cup matches. 
I doubt he'll play him this weekend either, and I doubt he will make more than a couple of changes to the line up.
I would really be looking to get some game time for Frankie in this one as a matter of priority. 
Agree with all of that. This season Thomson has played when it seemed viable and macdonald wasn't needing match fitness for the bigger games that were coming up. Getting frankie on the pitch if he's ready to play is a necessity

14 hours ago, grumswall said:
15 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
I don't understand why McGlynn doesn't play Thomson more in cup matches. 
I doubt he'll play him this weekend either, and I doubt he will make more than a couple of changes to the line up.
I would really be looking to get some game time for Frankie in this one as a matter of priority. 

Agree with all of that. This season Thomson has played when it seemed viable and macdonald wasn't needing match fitness for the bigger games that were coming up. Getting frankie on the pitch if he's ready to play is a necessity

I’d love to see us able to give several players a day off, or at least part of a match off. The primary back four have played damn near every minute, but with only Lang and Young, plus a few minutes worth of Frankie, shrug. Certainly hope to see Arnott, Mitchell and Young get time, if not a start here, along with Thomson, Fotheringham and Riley-Snow.

Fotheringham is cup-tied having played for Dundee United Colts in this sham tournament.

Quarter final is a midweek trip away to Inverness or Elgin, with a trip to Gayfield in the league a few days later. With that in mind I’d honestly not mind losing here.

Agree that it’s the perfect chance to give minutes to Thomson, Musonda, Lang and some of the younger players. We don’t have the squad to go completely wholesale changes but five or six from Saturday’s line-up would be great.

On 04/10/2021 at 11:11, Enigma said:

I’d be tempted to try out Kyle Bow. That said he probably won’t have anything to do so might not be a good game to gauge his abilities.

On 04/10/2021 at 12:48, grumswall said:
On 04/10/2021 at 12:14, TxRover said:
Yes, but Rovers and two keepers is not a good thing. Besides, finding a loan where the keeper will play is difficult, except emergency situations. Not sure how this will play out, but we do need to get Bow playing time sooner or later.

A loan to a junior team would probably be as good as we could get for him at this stage of his development but regular game time is what's important. 'keepers don't tend to come of age until their mid to late 20s though. Training with macdonald and Thomson will be doing him some good. I haven't seen much to suggest he will make it as a pro and I am mainly taking that from the warm up so should obviously be taken with a pinch of salt.

Vale of Leithan seems to be pretty much playing without a keeper these daysâ€Ķtoo bad it’s not an easy commute.

You never want to see the Rovers lose but this game is definitely one I couldn't care less about.

Give a few of the squad game time and hopefully Musonda can get some minutes under his belt even if it'sas a sub. I'd start Poplatnik too to try and get him another goal to possibly start a streak.

Edited by Lang Toun Lad

You never want to see the Rovers lose but this game is definitely one I couldn't care less about.
Give a few of the squad game time and hopefully Musonda can get some minutes under his belt even if it'sas a sub. I'd start Poplatnik too to try and get him another goal to possibly start a streak.

Im sorry but this isn’t a midweek game and momentum is everything in football. I want us to go into every game looking for a win, especially against one of our local rivals (regardless of their size). The Ramsden cup final was an amazing day and i was gutted that our final with ICT was written off. A couple of changes expected but I wouldn’t welcome a large rotation from last weekend.

Still a bit meh for this but bought my ticket this morning, partially due to the fact it was only ÂĢ11 and more importantly in the hope of seeing Musonda play in a Rovers shirt, that would be worth the entrance fee by itself, hopefully putting 3 or 4 past EF would also help.

Won't be there and think it might be a sub 1000 crowd.

It's the diddy cup and I've tickets for Scotland vs Israel. Throw in that we've got our actual derby against the Pars in the league and it means this is just an asterisk in the season. The games against East Fife only held any relevance when we went on our decades long unbeaten. After that game, I've stopped bothering with this fixture.

Won't be there and think it might be a sub 1000 crowd.

It's the diddy cup and I've tickets for Scotland vs Israel. Throw in that we've got our actual derby against the Pars in the league and it means this is just an asterisk in the season. The games against East Fife only held any relevance when we went on our decades long unbeaten. After that game, I've stopped bothering with this fixture.

Fair enough if you’re going to the Scotland game but to say you’ve stopped bothering about a fixture simply because we don’t beat them every time makes me wonder why you don’t just support one of the old firm. Its this mentality that had me laughing at the big team bringing a couple of hundred to Starks simply because they’re rank rotten. Personally i’d go to every game that I can make regardless of our form but each to their own I guess.

Fair enough if you’re going to the Scotland game but to say you’ve stopped bothering about a fixture simply because we don’t beat them every time makes me wonder why you don’t just support one of the old firm. Its this mentality that had me laughing at the big team bringing a couple of hundred to Starks simply because they’re rank rotten. Personally i’d go to every game that I can make regardless of our form but each to their own I guess.

There's a few factors to this. Firstly, the challenge cup is a fodder tournament after the colts were introduced. In terms of the Derby, its still a game I want us to win but it's not a game I'd get hugely excited for. Its nowhere near the importance of the Derby against Dunfermline.

There's a few factors to this. Firstly, the challenge cup is a fodder tournament after the colts were introduced. In terms of the Derby, its still a game I want us to win but it's not a game I'd get hugely excited for. Its nowhere near the importance of the Derby against Dunfermline.

Realistically its the only cup we have a chance of winning and we’re yet to face a colt team since their introduction. I don’t think a club of our size can afford to think we’re better that it. I think other’s opinion may be somewhat different if we weren’t playing ICT (no offence Elgin) in the next round.

40 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

Realistically its the only cup we have a chance of winning and we’re yet to face a colt team since their introduction. I don’t think a club of our size can afford to think we’re better that it. I think other’s opinion may be somewhat different if we weren’t playing ICT (no offence Elgin) in the next round.

It's probably an indication of how memorable the games are, but we've played two so far. Aberdeen at home and Ross County away. 

18 minutes ago, true_rover said:

Did we not play Ross County at home as well?

Not too sure. We might well have done - either way I've not bothered going to any games in the competition since Barry Smith decided to play our first choice keeper who promptly got an injury to keep him out most of the season. 

Our squad is too thin to be wanting to squeeze in a midweek game in the Highlands! It's a shame there isn't a little more money in this cup to make it worth progressing. It feels like anything other than being a finalist costs you money to appear in this competition. 

2 hours ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

Our squad is too thin to be wanting to squeeze in a midweek game in the Highlands! It's a shame there isn't a little more money in this cup to make it worth progressing. It feels like anything other than being a finalist costs you money to appear in this competition. 

Are you not holders ? In part at least ? 😆

10 hours ago, tazz1903 said:

Are you not holders ? In part at least ? 😆

Nah, not really pal.

We didn't win the cup - it was done by a vote. Just like the scandalous vote to give us the league title, when everyone knew Falkirk and East Fife would overtake us. 

You just have to look at how well Falkirk and East Fife have done since, in relation to the Rovers, to see what a travesty that vote was.