Raith v East Fife

steakngravy

Will be nice to see our near neighbours visiting. Hope they enjoy their day out but not to well. Saw them against Peterhead and they were poor the first half and should have gone in at least two goals down but hey ho a different team in the second half their first goal was scrappy but after that they settled down and played well. So this I think is going to be a (hopefully) good game of football. Not going to predict a score as I am never that confident about the Rovers.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

This has the potential to be an absolute pumping.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Given the way things go, it does, but not the way you’re thinking. Meh, who am I kidding, if you had held on vs Falkirk I was worried we’d let down and bottle it, but it looks less likely now. Who’s gonna replace DY, Grant?

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

Given the way things go, it does, but not the way you’re thinking. Meh, who am I kidding, if you had held on vs Falkirk I was worried we’d let down and bottle it, but it looks less likely now. Who’s gonna replace DY, Grant?

Watching the Dunfermline game, particularly first half, if you move the ball as you did I think you'll tear us apart. Not sure who/if we'll replace DY anytime soon. There seems to be strange rumours of budget mix ups which might lead to the board not wanting to blame him. Still doesn't quite explain why every week he complains about our luck when in reality we're getting thumped off the better team every week. I'd imagine first port of call would be Frail in any case though. 

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Hopefully we can give the likes of Arnott and Mitchell a run out in this game. Might be a bit tricky as I suspect East Fife will sit deep and try to keep things respectable.

Absolutely agree, and add Young to the list. Both Bene and Berra would resist taking a match off, but it would be a good idea, since it’s possible, to start Lang for one of them. If they flatly refuse, use Lang for Tumilty and Young for Dick. As for being tricky, it could be more than that…East Fife were unlucky not to at least draw Falkirk, and won’t be mugs…but I’d still give Thomson a start as well.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Absolutely agree, and add Young to the list. Both Bene and Berra would resist taking a match off, but it would be a good idea, since it’s possible, to start Lang for one of them. If they flatly refuse, use Lang for Tumilty and Young for Dick. As for being tricky, it could be more than that…East Fife were unlucky not to at least draw Falkirk, and won’t be mugs…but I’d still give Thomson a start as well.

They will be mugs. Falkirk are a laughing stock right now.

I'd give Robbie a game on Saturday as well. He's more than capable of playing. He isn't as good as macdonald obviously but I don't think there's many championship teams with as good a backup option. Macdonald could do with a rest to keep him fresh as well.

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:
26 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I'd give Robbie a game on Saturday as well. He's more than capable of playing. He isn't as good as macdonald obviously but I don't think there's many championship teams with as good a backup option. Macdonald could do with a rest to keep him fresh as well.

I’d be tempted to try out Kyle Bow. That said he probably won’t have anything to do so might not be a good game to gauge his abilities.

I’d be tempted to try out Kyle Bow. That said he probably won’t have anything to do so might not be a good game to gauge his abilities.
I wouldn't be starting a largely untested 'keeper in a derby game regardless of how the other team has been doing lately. Bow needs a loan to get game time somewhere. Throwing him in at the deep end could make or break him and its not worth the risk.

38 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I wouldn't be starting a largely untested 'keeper in a derby game regardless of how the other team has been doing lately. Bow needs a loan to get game time somewhere. Throwing him in at the deep end could make or break him and its not worth the risk.

Yes, but Rovers and two keepers is not a good thing. Besides, finding a loan where the keeper will play is difficult, except emergency situations. Not sure how this will play out, but we do need to get Bow playing time sooner or later.

Yes, but Rovers and two keepers is not a good thing. Besides, finding a loan where the keeper will play is difficult, except emergency situations. Not sure how this will play out, but we do need to get Bow playing time sooner or later.
A loan to a junior team would probably be as good as we could get for him at this stage of his development but regular game time is what's important. 'keepers don't tend to come of age until their mid to late 20s though. Training with macdonald and Thomson will be doing him some good. I haven't seen much to suggest he will make it as a pro and I am mainly taking that from the warm up so should obviously be taken with a pinch of salt.

58 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, TxRover said:

A loan to a junior team would probably be as good as we could get for him at this stage of his development but regular game time is what's important. 'keepers don't tend to come of age until their mid to late 20s though. Training with macdonald and Thomson will be doing him some good. I haven't seen much to suggest he will make it as a pro and I am mainly taking that from the warm up so should obviously be taken with a pinch of salt.

Absolutely correct, but there is also the thought that with a professional keeper coach and an experienced old hand keeper sharing practice with him, they would have made it clear to JMcG if they felt Bow didn’t have “something”, and we decided to sign him to a full professional contract…

3 hours ago, grumswall said:
3 hours ago, Enigma said:

Given that Dean Lyness is St Mirren's back up goalkeeper, there is obviously at least one Premier club with a lesser back up than us.

I don't understand why McGlynn doesn't play Thomson more in cup matches. 

I doubt he'll play him this weekend either, and I doubt he will make more than a couple of changes to the line up.

I would really be looking to get some game time for Frankie in this one as a matter of priority.