QP v A

I suppose we will need to get used to the fact that teams are going to come to Firhill and see a draw as a result. 

We looked pretty toothless today in front of goal and it remains a mystery to me why there are continual crosses into the box where our aerial prowess isn't exactly formidable when the option of keeping the ball on the deck and running at defenses seems a much better option imo. 

Next week will be a benchmark game but please gonna keep the ball on the deck where we play our best football. 

Got the draw prediction almost right and a 0-0 was not a bad result despite now being 2nd bottom. Having played each other so often already it looks as if neither side can spring any surprises on the other. There were some harum scarum blocks in the 2nd half in the Airdrie box but being so far away it's hard to say how deserving QP were of a lead. It was a fine shot by Murray to produce Currie's save in the first half. However it was less Currie versus QP this time and Airdrie ought to have scored (Frizzel?) in the first half, from one of the rare times we broke past the home side.  I thought we were just a stuffy lot and it was a poor day from Gallagher and being on his lonesome suited that back four. For QP I thought Brown was less impressive than the first game while Longridge was very busy. QP are a nicer moving/passing team but the final 3rd was less effective-does Simon Murray always hit it so high? It will be a long season and who would have thought Dumbarton could score 5! A strange League again.  Never really noticed Currie wasting time especially but it's what happens in most games with all teams. 

Fox, Thompson and Longridge top performers for me, with Gillies getting a notable mention aswell. Not convinced with Moore in the slightest and it was telling how much better Longstaff was when he came on 

Interesting decision to sub Mom Liam Brown? Was actually a bit disappointed with Longstaff he didn't seem willing to take his man on but early days maybe he's more suited to playing on the left?
Could do with Quitongo being fit sooner rather than later is he back in training?
Thought his brother was excellent for Airdrie btw

15 minutes ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

He was good defensively but it was rare to see him doing much attacking-we seemed to be very right sided. I like his whole hearted effort but he has still to convince many others-hard to follow Leon McCann in many ways. Hopefully we can have a rest from playing each other for a wee while.

20 minutes ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

Interesting decision to sub Mom Liam Brown? Was actually a bit disappointed with Longstaff he didn't seem willing to take his man on but early days maybe he's more suited to playing on the left?
Could do with Quitongo being fit sooner rather than later is he back in training?

Understand tbf that Longstaff didn’t take his man on as much as I hoped but his general link up play, especially with Gillies was far superior to Moore. There was an occasion where Moore got himself into a great position and literally refused to release the ball to anyone and then cheaply lost it, was infuriating 

52 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

He was good defensively but it was rare to see him doing much attacking-we seemed to be very right sided. I like his whole hearted effort but he has still to convince many others-hard to follow Leon McCann in many ways. Hopefully we can have a rest from playing each other for a wee while.

Rico like Frizzell got very poor reports from fans of there previous clubs,   both players have done fine so far and look big players for ourselves,   Rico gets compared to McCann all the time,    was and is McCann that good,  offensively he was poor,  a decent defender though and got his move.     Ric o proved today he can play in a disciplined role and previous games was seen in a more attacking sense,  Good player...

Anyone reading the stats would think this was a belter but it didn’t feel like that. Agree completely with bridgeofweirdo in that we keep playing in crosses with no-one capable of winning them. Murray had one good knockdown to Gillespie and Longridge one straight at the keeper but a really fruitless afternoon otherwise. Brown was again in good control but could do with some direct shooting from him on occasion. Tommy Robson had a real input again. Ridiculous amount of loose passes by numerous players. Struggle to understand why so many experienced players who can hit crisp passes across the pitch can’t get their body over the ball when shooting.

As for Fox; I noticed Doyle giving quite a bit of coaching to Gillies in-game so it may be that Laurie set them up for that realising that if Doyle gets injured we don’t have a back-up and Gillies is very short on grass time. Morrison’s and Grant, and maybe now Kilday again, all injured so important that cover at RB is available. Fox was impressive again when he came on. 

An instantly forgettable game of football. One of those ones that looked like a 0-0 very early on. We just looked a shade off it all over the park. Could actually be seen as a positive that we were pretty pish and still took a point from a team who’ll be up and around the top four. 

With so many automatic first team players out injured for how long nobody knows I am amazed and delighted at our league position. To expect us to carry on at this level without them is optimistic in the extreme. It is so frustrating to get the wall of silence which would at least give us an idea of when we will really start the season. I can't get excited at the moment.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

An instantly forgettable game of football. One of those ones that looked like a 0-0 very early on. We just looked a shade off it all over the park. Could actually be seen as a positive that we were pretty pish and still took a point from a team who’ll be up and around the top four. 

While , I don't necessarily disagree with this or the other posts pointing out our shortcomings yesterday, we still managed 15 shots at goal, more than any other team in the league. That should have been enough to win the game comfortably.

50 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

With so many automatic first team players out injured for how long nobody knows I am amazed and delighted at our league position. To expect us to carry on at this level without them is optimistic in the extreme. It is so frustrating to get the wall of silence which would at least give us an idea of when we will really start the season. I can't get excited at the moment.

Ironically, in amongst our injury woes, I see Craig Slater has just completed his 6th game in a row for Forfar - and he has played the full 90 minutes in every one!!

Did he ever even manage 2 in a row  for us without bits falling off?

2 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

While , I don't necessarily disagree with this or the other posts pointing out our shortcomings yesterday, we still managed 15 shots at goal, more than any other team in the league. That should have been enough to win the game comfortably.

Ironically, in amongst our injury woes, I see Craig Slater has just completed his 6th game in a row for Forfar - and he has played the full 90 minutes in every one!!

Did he ever even manage 2 in a row  for us without bits falling off?

The vast majority of them seemed speculative efforts from about 20 yards out, I don't remember any opportunities where you'd have expected the player to score. I'd suggest that's a sign that we were defending our box and quite happy to allow players to take shots from outside the penalty area.

It was a dreadful game to watch and neither side could really claim to have deserved to win, QP had more of the play but never looked like scoring, our attacks were rare but we probably had the best chance of the game. As someone said up the thread, QP will need to get used to teams sitting in like we did and going by yesterday they've got work to do in terms of breaking teams down. We were pretty solid defensively but apart from one counter attack were non-existent in an attacking sense. My concern is that to be more attacking we'll sacrifice our defensive stability so it's going to be a challenge for Murray to find the right balance.

47 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The vast majority of them seemed speculative efforts from about 20 yards out, I don't remember any opportunities where you'd have expected the player to score. I'd suggest that's a sign that we were defending our box and quite happy to allow players to take shots from outside the penalty area.

It was a dreadful game to watch and neither side could really claim to have deserved to win, QP had more of the play but never looked like scoring, our attacks were rare but we probably had the best chance of the game. As someone said up the thread, QP will need to get used to teams sitting in like we did and going by yesterday they've got work to do in terms of breaking teams down. We were pretty solid defensively but apart from one counter attack were non-existent in an attacking sense. My concern is that to be more attacking we'll sacrifice our defensive stability so it's going to be a challenge for Murray to find the right balance.

I agree with you about our speculative inaccurate shots from outside the box. This seems to be Laurie's policy of "working the keeper" but shots from outside the box are generally food and drink to the average keeper. They must also be on target. We must be more creative and composed in the final third.

58 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

As someone said up the thread, QP will need to get used to teams sitting in like we did and going by yesterday they've got work to do in terms of breaking teams down. We were pretty solid defensively but apart from one counter attack were non-existent in an attacking sense.

Fully agree, and I thought Airdrie went about it very well. They know how to defend against QP. It's maybe been said before, but our deliberate and careful passing build-up means that defences are already organised and the box is packed. Playing crosses into out-numbered forwards or trying to play one-twos through a wall of defenders just looks futile. I'd like to see Baynham get a run alongside Murray.

Fairly dour stuff but Airdrie coped with us very well. Their full backs were excellent and Easton was a stand out. Currie's save from Murray outstanding.

Baynham a couple of weeks away from being fit so would like to see a bit more of Longstaff to see if we have the option of his playing up nearer Murray.

Very impressed with Max Gillies; Brown and Gillespie excellent as always.

What was the Airdrie fan turfed out for? He was quite animated anyway.

49 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Fairly dour stuff but Airdrie coped with us very well. Their full backs were excellent and Easton was a stand out. Currie's save from Murray outstanding.

Baynham a couple of weeks away from being fit so would like to see a bit more of Longstaff to see if we have the option of his playing up nearer Murray.

How come you get the news about Baynham but the club cannot tell us this? What about Quitongo, Grant, Morrison, Davidson, and now disappointingly Kilday? What was the reason for Baynham's absence?

6 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

How come you get the news about Baynham but the club cannot tell us this? What about Quitongo, Grant, Morrison, Davidson, and now disappointingly Kilday? What was the reason for Baynham's absence?

It was in the match preview. 

A2BD79CD-0452-47AF-821B-DBD32ED999DE.png

7 hours ago, an86 said:

Thanks for your optimism about us being "up and around" the top 4. Some of us are a bit more pessimistic but it's early days for all the sides, especially in these interrupted preparation /training demands days. The Airdrie guy who got chucked out seemed to be related to being in the wrong seat at one point but that's just speculation on many people's part. He was not a happy chappy whatever it was.  

3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

From my somewhat obscured view, it seemed nothing at the time, not to say there wasn't an offence earlier,   in saying that he should have been chucked out for still trying to squeeze into a large home top,  XL costs the same as far as i know..   

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

From my somewhat obscured view, it seemed nothing at the time, not to say there wasn't an offence earlier,   in saying that he should have been chucked out for still trying to squeeze into a large home top,  XL costs the same as far as i know..   

More than one offender at the game in the wrong-sized top, sadly!  I think there was an article in the Daily Record saying he was having a verbal go at an Airdrie director.  Possibly over the incorrect sizing information given to him at the club shop.