Jobs you would love to do

2 hours ago, velo army said:

Reminds me of the scene in Ice Cold In Alex when John Mills downs the pint of lager he's been talking about for the whole film. It took 14 takes and he was absolutely plastered on that scene.

Sylvia Syms finest hour.

7034626941_bfe84b1500_b.jpg

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

My dream job would to be a moderator on P&B, however I’m not sure I could cope with the rock ‘n roll lifestyle and the power would probably go to my head.

Thankfully for all of us I don’t think it will happen.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'd avoid doing it with a big band. Most of them are wanks who wont speak to you and big bands tend to have big stage shows, which means you're lifting and laying heavy shit all day and night. You might get a look in a decent party or two but I know a guy who worked for U2 on their tour and absolutely hated it - they unloaded shit all day, then Bono came out and complained about everything, then they had to watch U2 play an entire set then pack all the shit down again for the next day. That can't sound appealing to many people other than Bono. 

Find yourself a small/medium sized band who just need someone to load the drums in and set up the merch stand at whichever stinking pub has hired them next, you'll enjoy yourself far more. 

It depends, if youre local crew you get treated like shit, but if youre say Dave Grohls guitar tech then youre getting a great wage and not really having to humph too much. I worked local crew for oasis before, the techs do all the instrument setting up and packing away, tuning changes/restringing etc but not as much of the lifting or long hours. That’d be pretty good. 
If i ever won a decent sum (say 10mill?) in the lottery i’d move to Nashville and be a professional backing singer or session vocalist, great money no pressure and you get to do what you love without the stress of fame etc. 

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'd always wanted to be a pilot. From when I was very wee I was quite set on being one, then I discovered there were lots of confusing buttons, it cost a fortune to train and I decided I'd rather be a journalist. If I got a second chance at life though then I wouldn't be totally against going down that route. Although my shocking eyesight might rule me out.

Also fancied being an air-traffic controller. I know everyone talks about the high stress (and suicide rates I'm sure), but I'd fancy my chances of being quite good at that. 

I was the same but training would be about £125k and i cant risk that and possibly failing or not getting a job. Would love to get my PPL one day. My absolute dream travel job would be like the points guy travel vlog or similar where you basically earn a living travelling the world in first or business class, doing reviews etc.

My wee cousin is a film and tv producer, she gets obscenely good money but works like a mofo and has to travel away from home all the time. Which is probably good if youre not a parent or whatever. I had the chance to work on the set of a very big film recently and the way they look after staff is exceptional, long hours yes but fed, health and safety first class etc, really good. For me though I just love watching films, i think being the guy who watches films and decides what grading they should have is a top job, the board of film classification. Id love that, sitting in a screening room, seeing films before anyone else etc and getting paid decent money. 

I also love sharks, wish i could go back to uni and study marine biology, get tenure at a university in florida and study shark migratory patterns or how to stop China destroying the shark population. 

3 hours ago, 101 said:

Someone opened a shop where I used to work and said she could have 2 years before she had to sell anything and folk would come in and she would refuse to sell to them if she didn't like the look of them or if what they were buying didn't suit them. She was a complete rocket.

It seems to be a bit of a thing for people who've retired early from a well-paying job (or inherited hugely from a deceased spouse's life insurance) to open up a shop doing something that requires little effort and would never cover the rent. There have been a couple round here; we had a lassie who sold wool from an old greengrocers for years. Did nothing to the place; just put wool on the shelves where the fruit & veg used to be and waited for folk to walk in.

My father-in-law got a massive pay-off from one of the big American tech firms after working for them for decades, and spunked it all away on a parcel shop franchise that never turned a profit. The post-employment dreams that people have are bizarre. What happened to coke & hookers?

29 minutes ago, BFTD said:

My father-in-law got a massive pay-off from one of the big American tech firms after working for them for decades, and spunked it all away on a parcel shop franchise that never turned a profit.

I can understand that gamble when Amazon was taking off, assuming parcel shop means last mile delivery and/or "click and collect".

28 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I can understand that gamble when Amazon was taking off, assuming parcel shop means last mile delivery and/or "click and collect".

No, it's a private post office. You go in with something you want to send, they'll package it up for you and give you some options about different couriers. The couriers send a van by for the day's parcels later on.

He bought the franchise from someone else, despite the fact that they'd never turned a profit, at a time when people were starting to get used to packing and mailing their own parcels due to eBay. Parcel shops were having to diversify in order to make rent, trying to become a one-stop-shop for all your office needs. He paid a hefty sum and within a year it was worth less than half what he'd paid for it. He had to lay off the staff and twisted his wife's arm to quit her job and help him prop the business up.

Then he died and left her to deal with the whole thing.

I'd always fancied the idea of running a wee second hand VHS/DVD shop but Netflix and general more modern technology fucked that from ever happening.

Edited by Ludo*1

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

It seems to be a bit of a thing for people who've retired early from a well-paying job (or inherited hugely from a deceased spouse's life insurance) to open up a shop doing something that requires little effort and would never cover the rent.

If ever I had a well-paid job to retire from, that would suit me fine. A wee book shop, with a small frontage which opens up into a labyrinth of staircases, shelves and small rooms. If you've ever been to 'Shakespeare & Co.' in Paris, kinda like that. Mine would be down an interesting little alley, with bottle glass windows and a bell above the door. Dug sleeping on the floor by the cash register and blues/jazz music playing softly in the background.

If I made enough money to cover the coffee bill, I'd be quite content. 

6 hours ago, velo army said:

Reminds me of the scene in Ice Cold In Alex when John Mills downs the pint of lager he's been talking about for the whole film. It took 14 takes and he was absolutely plastered on that scene.

Tony Curtis ate chicken during a dinner scene with Marilyn Monroe in Some Like it Hot. Marilyn was deep into her personal troubles at the time and the scene required literally dozens of takes before she delivered her lines, and reactions to a level they could  use.

Curtis never ate chicken again. 

Co-commentator for the football, surely? The guy next to you does 90% of the talking, you just pipe up occasionally with whatever you fancy.

- Sean Welsh… back to Hart… and the keeper makes a hash of it! Three-nil. 

- fucking yasss! Roon ye, ya fanny!

7 hours ago, atfccfc said:

Travel Presenter of a TV show like Globe trekker from the 90s -2000s. Love travel and to be paid to travel and present a show like that would be ideal. 

I reckon it would get somewhat tiresome after a while.  Grand as a part-time treat, but the constant time spent on planes for just a few days here and there (with different hotels, arseing about whilst the camera crew get their shit together etc) would certainly grind me down.  I've helped out with outdoor shows before and you can be out for a day or two just for 10 mins of footage (repeating the same thing over and over).

Edited by Hedgecutter