Jobs you would love to do

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

More seriously, I have always fancied being a roadie with a big band, seemed like a class life.

I'd avoid doing it with a big band. Most of them are wanks who wont speak to you and big bands tend to have big stage shows, which means you're lifting and laying heavy shit all day and night. You might get a look in a decent party or two but I know a guy who worked for U2 on their tour and absolutely hated it - they unloaded shit all day, then Bono came out and complained about everything, then they had to watch U2 play an entire set then pack all the shit down again for the next day. That can't sound appealing to many people other than Bono. 

Find yourself a small/medium sized band who just need someone to load the drums in and set up the merch stand at whichever stinking pub has hired them next, you'll enjoy yourself far more. 

I'd always wanted to be a pilot. From when I was very wee I was quite set on being one, then I discovered there were lots of confusing buttons, it cost a fortune to train and I decided I'd rather be a journalist. If I got a second chance at life though then I wouldn't be totally against going down that route. Although my shocking eyesight might rule me out.

Also fancied being an air-traffic controller. I know everyone talks about the high stress (and suicide rates I'm sure), but I'd fancy my chances of being quite good at that. 

Away from planes, I want to work in motorsport. I don't really care what I'm doing, I just want to be involved somehow. I get to do bits and bobs of motorsport stuff in my day job and that's just fired me up further to find a way to make that full-time some day.

44 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I could be a lawyer with strategems and ruses.
I could be a doctor with poultices and bruises.
I could be a writer with a growing reputation.
I could be the ticket man at Fulham Broadway Station.

Im not though. 

Seems a bit of a waste.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'd always wanted to be a pilot. From when I was very wee I was quite set on being one, then I discovered there were lots of confusing buttons, it cost a fortune to train and I decided I'd rather be a journalist. If I got a second chance at life though then I wouldn't be totally against going down that route. Although my shocking eyesight might rule me out.

There was a guy at my school wanted to join the RAF and be a pilot. His nickname was Popeye. 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I could be the extra on Coronation Street who is either drinking a pint in the background, or eating a bacon roll in the background.

Until you are eating your tenth bacon roll in as many minutes because the lead actor can't remember his lines.

If I didn't have scruples I think Tory MP in a safe seat in one of the Shires would be good. Guaranteed re-election, don't have to bother your arse too much, get some lucrative backhanders in the form of directorships and could marry some posh bird with a rich daddy. 

I have a role model already: 

2127000222_Alan_BStard.jpg.ec9f63a7b2358f85cf316c1329a442da.jpg

18 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Until you are eating your tenth bacon roll in as many minutes because the lead actor can't remember his lines.

Reminds me of the scene in Ice Cold In Alex when John Mills downs the pint of lager he's been talking about for the whole film. It took 14 takes and he was absolutely plastered on that scene.

17 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Manager for the national team of San Marino or Andorra or the like - assuming the pay was ok. Basically no expectations on you and only have to bother doing anything a couple of days a month, at most.

Peter? Peter Grant? Is that you?

43 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'd avoid doing it with a big band. Most of them are wanks who wont speak to you and big bands tend to have big stage shows, which means you're lifting and laying heavy shit all day and night. You might get a look in a decent party or two but I know a guy who worked for U2 on their tour and absolutely hated it - they unloaded shit all day, then Bono came out and complained about everything, then they had to watch U2 play an entire set then pack all the shit down again for the next day. That can't sound appealing to many people other than Bono. 

Find yourself a small/medium sized band who just need someone to load the drums in and set up the merch stand at whichever stinking pub has hired them next, you'll enjoy yourself far more. 

I'm hoping my pal can make it one day and then I'll happily drive a van round the country for him.

42 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Also fancied being an air-traffic controller. I know everyone talks about the high stress (and suicide rates I'm sure), but I'd fancy my chances of being quite good at that. 

The cockpits have windows its up to the pilots to keep and eye out the air traffic controllers just make their job seem difficult to get paid a fortune.

26 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Own a small independent music shop or a vintage clothes shop but only if I had enough money not to give a f**k if I actually sell anything or not 

Someone opened a shop where I used to work and said she could have 2 years before she had to sell anything and folk would come in and she would refuse to sell to them if she didn't like the look of them or if what they were buying didn't suit them. She was a complete rocket.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Someone opened a shop where I used to work and said she could have 2 years before she had to sell anything and folk would come in and she would refuse to sell to them if she didn't like the look of them or if what they were buying didn't suit them. She was a complete rocket.

She quite clearly either read High Fidelity or watched the movie. Either that or all record shop owners are just like that 

1 minute ago, Bert Raccoon said:

She quite clearly either read High Fidelity or watched the movie. Either that or all record shop owners are just like that 

This was vintage clothes and other "tat" she seemed to have a lovely time but wasn't exactly customer centric.