St Mirren v Dundee Utd 11/09/21

Utd by far the best team in the first half. Us better in the second half although how Utd didn't score is a mystery.

Some positives from us

- McCarthy started and in his best position.

- We stopped playing hoofball for the whole 90mins!

- Ronan looks a real find.

- Flynn back in the fold.

- Young Reid starting.

Still not taking chances but compared to recent games this is an improvement (but that is not saying much).

Pretty sure the goal was disallowed for a "foul" by Main. Which it wasn't.

We were really poor in first half - seemed to be second to every ball. Much improved in second half however Utd still looked dangerous.

Dylan Reids chase back and block was fuckin outstanding.

Ronan looks a decent player.

Not convinced about Millar - he's certainly not the answer to our speed problem.

Kyle McAllister still frustrates the life out of me.

That was an outstanding save from utd keeper.

Point each probably fair.

Thought we were shit for around 65 minutes but came into it once Flynn and Tait came on, we’re a better team with both of them on the park. I thought Tanser and Brophy both wasted a few chances by shooting straight at defenders instead of passing. Ronan was just coming on to a game when he got subbed.

Weirdly I thought Main was our best player even though he barely got a chance, great hold up play and did a lot of the midfield’s job for them too.

4 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Pretty sure the goal was disallowed for a "foul" by Main. Which it wasn't.

We were really poor in first half - seemed to be second to every ball. Much improved in second half however Utd still looked dangerous.

Dylan Reids chase back and block was fuckin outstanding.

Ronan looks a decent player.

Not convinced about Millar - he's certainly not the answer to our speed problem.

Kyle McAllister still frustrates the life out of me.

That was an outstanding save from utd keeper.

Point each probably fair.

Millar only arrived last week and is suffering bad jetlag and hasn't trained with a team for months (watch his interview on SMTV). Thought in the circumstances it was ludicrous to start him and wait until 65 mins to sub him.

We're worse than being shite, we're boring. No idea where the next goal's coming from never mind win.

Main is either fouling centre halves or making it really easy to give fouls against him with constant arms all over them, turn that shit in.

Ronan looks a good find, Millar needs a pre-season, was burst after half an hour.

This rigid 3-5-2 could be Goodwin's downfall, we're so predictable going forward and managed to make Mulgrew look like Ramos today chipping balls onto his head.

Bloody hell, will be a long season if this is it!

23 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Saints were by far away the best team in the second half.  United  by far the better in the first half. I was in line with our goal looked perfectly good to me.  2 points dropped by St Mirren. 

I don’t think anyone could look at that 90+ minutes and think St Mirren deserved all 3 points.

21 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

That ref is comfortably the worst in Scotland. He has never been involved in a good game - ruins it at every opportunity. Dallas seems to have dropped off the face of the earth, Steven should be next. 

Utd should've been well ahead in the first half, we were all over the place. A lot of tidy players in midfield but all too similar. Second half we were better, instead of Utd causing us problems we caused our own.  

For a nil-nil I actually think it was a pretty decent game tbh.

Quite open, some decent football from both sides, a few great saves and some poor finishing.

Losing Smith and shifting Harkes made a big differences the game, and despite the fact that United should have been well ahead by the time Saint Mirren came back into the game, we were hanging on at the end, so a point apiece fair enough and ok for us away from home.

That being said, would have though that least one of Harkes, Pawlett, McNulty or Appere might have taken their fairly gilt edge chance.

On another note I know there is a Sportsound thread where this might be more appropriate, but Can’t help but wonder if Chick Young was watching the same game as I was? Waxing lyrical about Saints’ silky skills, at both half and full time, with little reference to those of the guys they were playing... The build ups to the chances above were all pretty decent IMO, and barely got a mention.

Perhaps he should stick to Somerset Park for a proper unbiased broadcast.

Anyway, big dose of meh, and both Buddies and Arabs seem to at least agree on one thing. This was 2 points dropped!

15 minutes ago, VivaLaDron said:

We're worse than being shite, we're boring. No idea where the next goal's coming from never mind win.

Bloody hell, will be a long season if this is it!

We scored two perfectly good goals in the two league games prior today. 

We’ve scored more goals than United and St Johnstone. 

Indeed we’ve had more goals chopped off than United and St Johnstone have scored. 

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t think anyone could look at that 90+ minutes and think St Mirren deserved all 3 points.

If yous had taken your chances, you could have been out of sight by halftime. 

We were much better 2nd half but didn't deserve the 3pts.

1 minute ago, Munoz said:

If yous had taken your chances, you could have been out of sight by halftime. 

We were much better 2nd half but didn't deserve the 3pts.

Not sure about out of sight but probably one ahead if Pawlett had a wee bit more composure.  He could have put it left or right if the keeper but instead blasted it high.  We certainly had some very good link up play in the first half but other than that chance there was nothing else too clear cut.

We were terrible first half with no midfield at all. Came onto a game second half and had the ball in the back of the net but the ref had something on Main all game and I think ruled it out for him jumping with Mulgrew. 

Well seen United have sold Shankland as they look as toothless as we do. McNulty failing to finish a chance a L2 player would score. 

Not sure the 3-5-2 works, not sure Main is better than Obika, not sure we'll score many this season 

12 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Pawlett probably got the yips given he tried to place his penalty at that end in 2019.

Was taken by the Pie Sports logo:

DSCN9365.thumb.JPG.4aeda52a7da1ab2d9f147ce2868c8fae.JPG

Wonder how long it'll be before the Sky Group force them to change the log and name?

Don't think there's a lot they can do about the name. They are a sports catering company whose main seller is pies.

They will absolutely tell them to rebrand soon though, probably as soon as the cameras first rock up - there were a lot of folk kicking about yesterday with hi-vis jackets with the logo on the back of it and Sky will 100% have a problem with that.

Quite clever actually as they are guaranteed a bit of mainstream attention and free marketing when it inevitably does come to a head.

Edited by djchapsticks

I thought a draw was just about a fair result. I also thought it was a pretty entertaining game for a 0-0 to be honest. The first half something was badly wrong with the system. The 3 CBs were left massively exposed by United's front 3 and the runners from midfeild who weren't being picked up by any of our midfeild 5. There were overlaps all over the place and only a combination of excellent last ditch defending (mostly from Shaughnessy), and terrible finishing/decision making from United kept us level at half time. United could have been two up easily and we'd have had no complaints.

Second half we seemed to fix this and looked a lot more secure and really everything was much better. By the time the subs came on we were already dominating the game, but they still made a very noticeable difference. Also, we managed to get Brophy and Main into the game and you could see glimpses of what is there if we can play to their strengths and give them something to work with. I think I'd find a place for Flynn in the team as well. Our midfeild just don't win enough loose ball and give up possession far too cheaply.

Ref was an absolute joke, one of the worst I've seen. I think he might have just about been right to chop off the goal, but some of the other stuff was beyond a joke. The bookings for Fraser and Brophy, considering what was not getting a booking the other way, were ridiculous. The Fraser one didn't even look like a foul.