Austria v Scotland

GordonS

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

As far as I understand it, Austria will get a play-off place regardless of where they finish in out group so long as France, Belgium, Italy and Spain all finish in the top two in their groups, which looks nailed-on. This is because they won their Nations League group and were the second-best group winner in League B (behind Wales).

I know it's grasping at straws, but maybe that takes the edge off their need to win against us.

If so they need their heads examined... Nations League top-ups are unseeded in the playoffs meaning a harder draw and an away tie; whereas the best 6 runners-up will be seeded and at home.

41 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Fair play, I agree - we have a good fighting chance of getting 2nd, I'd say that's good and I just can't understand where the media and certain fans are coming from that are saying we must beat Austria and that qualifying is a disaster and that Clarke has to go etc. 🤷‍♂️ 

I still quite like Clarke and I really want him to succeed but I look at the results and I can appreciate why others have less time for him. That night in Belgrade was immense and I want more of that.

20 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I still quite like Clarke and I really want him to succeed but I look at the results and I can appreciate why others have less time for him. That night in Belgrade was immense and I want more of that.

Dykes was outstanding that night in Belgrade - won everything in the air and held every ball up playing the simple effective pass every time - he’s been average at best ever since.

And because of this Clarke seems unsure what to do up top. Nisbit doesn’t look like the answer and Adams needs closer support which screws up a midfield that was working well when you try to play 2 up top.

I’d stick with Adams as he’s clearly technically the best forward and play Fraser and McGinn off him, but... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by ArabFC

Gordon

O'Donnell - Hanley - Tierney - Robertson

Gilmour - McGregor

Turnbull - McGinn - Fraser

Adams

I wouldn't really see this as Turnbull playing on the right when in possession but tucking in. If needed Fraser could switch wings. This gives the defence more protection, doesn't completely surrender the midfield as we did v Denmark, gets more out of Robertson by playing him in his natural position and giving him someone to overlap in attack, and means we aren't leaving out two of those midfielders to accommodate a centre back and centre forward who aren't good enough.

21 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Gordon

O'Donnell - Hanley - Tierney - Robertson

Gilmour - McGregor

Turnbull - McGinn - Fraser

Adams

I wouldn't really see this as Turnbull playing on the right when in possession but tucking in. If needed Fraser could switch wings. This gives the defence more protection, doesn't completely surrender the midfield as we did v Denmark, gets more out of Robertson by playing him in his natural position and giving him someone to overlap in attack, and means we aren't leaving out two of those midfielders to accommodate a centre back and centre forward who aren't good enough.

I'm a bit worried about Gilmour and McGregor both playing deep 

There's no steel in that defensive midfield 

We probably miss Jack 

Might even be some argument to play ferguson in there,  will never happen though 

We absolutely do need the 5 in midfield,  narrow if possible.  We can't go with 3 again,  it's been found out and would be overrun

Edited by Binos

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I look forward to paying NowTV a tenner for the pleasure.

The really terrible thing about this Tuesday is that - unlike last night - I have some interest in remembering how the game pans out tactically, which means I can't even get drunk unless we go 2 goals down.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Genuinely at a loss at why anyone would want O'Donnell anywhere near the squad never mind the starting eleven. 

Because he’s much better defensively than Patterson? I watched Patterson give the ball away numerous times last night, and the few chances Moldova did have came down his side.

I don’t want to be too critical as he’s a young lad who’s just come into the team and he looks like he has the potential to be really good, but he’s not ready yet to be the first choice right back.

Edited by Jambomo

O'Donnell's certainly not great defensively but I feel that he's better at it than Patterson at this moment in time. Patterson's better going forward but O'Donnell can be an effective attacker in the right game.

I wouldn't grumble if Patterson started even if I think he'd struggle, but it would probably be wise to alternate between the two depending on the opposition until Patterson improves defensively or Ramsay wins the Ballon D'or. I'm not even saying he needs to be an excellent defender, just a bit better before he can be trusted in these games.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Genuinely at a loss at why anyone would want O'Donnell anywhere near the squad never mind the starting eleven. 

Because he's a defensively reliable and steady, if unspectacular, right back.

The form right back right now is Ralston, but he was not picked for the present squad.

Patterson is 19 and will eventually make the position his own if he can develop and improve the defensive side of his game which presently is a weakness. The greater concern with Patterson is that his club manager continues to overlook him for game time which by definition delays his development. Without that experience he is simply too risky an option against stronger opposition right now.

Hence O'Donnell.

32 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Because he’s much better defensively than Patterson? I watched Patterson give the ball away numerous times last night

He isn't "much better defensively" he's abject at all aspects of the basics of the game. I've watched O'Donnell give the ball away most of his time in club football in the Scottish Premiership. 

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Because he's a defensively reliable and steady, if unspectacular, right back.

He isn't defensively reliable or steady at all - as has been shown numerous times in Scotland games and is currently being shown by the fact he can't get a game for Motherwell. 

32 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

He isn't "much better defensively" he's abject at all aspects of the basics of the game. I've watched O'Donnell give the ball away most of his time in club football in the Scottish Premiership. 

He isn't defensively reliable or steady at all - as has been shown numerous times in Scotland games and is currently being shown by the fact he can't get a game for Motherwell. 

How about you identify the 'numerous times' you refer to above rather than providing a generalised opinion with no substantiation?

He's been out of the Motherwell team recently for Covid reasons - but don't let that get in the way of your personal vandetta against him.

Edited by Barney Rubble