Austria v Scotland

GordonS

17 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Hendry was excellent tonight and is growing into a decent player. McTominay has never fully convinced at CH in my opinion, and we are finally reaching a stage where our actual CHs are good enough to avoid the need to shoehorn him in there. 

I think MacGregor / Gilmour should be the basis of our midfield, as shown tonight and at Wembley. It will be interesting to see how we fit Jack and McTominay into that equation (not to mention Turnbull / Gauld pushing McGinn) but I suppose it is a nice problem to have good players.

Not sure how McTominay fits back into this team at all for the Israel game. 

He can't be a direct swap for Hanley. Maybe Hendry could move into the centre spot and leave the right centre berth for him........  but I think it more likely Cooper or Gallagher will be the direct swap for Hanley.

McTominay would be a useful midfield option to bring on at 65 minutes right enough.

He can't be a direct swap for Hanley. Maybe Hendry could move into the centre spot and leave the right centre berth for him........  but I think it more likely Cooper or Gallagher will be the direct swap for Hanley.
McTominay would be a useful midfield option to bring on at 65 minutes right enough.
I'd be bringing him in for McGregor to be honest. Harsh but realistic. McGregor was great tonight and over the last year we've started to appreciate what he contributes - but he's not the player McTominay is. McGregor is a brilliant sub/alternative though.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:
11 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

I'd be bringing him in for McGregor to be honest. Harsh but realistic. McGregor was great tonight and over the last year we've started to appreciate what he contributes - but he's not the player McTominay is. McGregor is a brilliant sub/alternative though.

There is no way I would drop McGregor. He has been one of our best players for a while and him and Gilmour are forming a great midfield pairing.

5 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
15 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Oh, it's easy for you to say when he hasn't given you everything he has got. But he has for Steve Clarke, great player - it's his shirt as far as I'm concerned at the moment absolutely criminal shout just to drop the guy. McTominay couldn't have played better tonight.

I think the decision of who goes where will be dictated by the teams we're playing. 

The balance of both the defence and midfield 3s looked spot on tonight for the opposition. 

Might work out better to have different players when playing different teams though. A nice problem to have rather than look at back up players and there is a big drop. 

I've criticised McGregor lots of times on this forum but he was immense tonight, be really difficult to force him out the team, especially as him and Gilmour link together so well. 

5 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I think the decision of who goes where will be dictated by the teams we're playing. 

The balance of both the defence and midfield 3s looked spot on tonight for the opposition. 

Might work out better to have different players when playing different teams though. A nice problem to have rather than look at back up players and there is a big drop. 

I've criticised McGregor lots of times on this forum but he was immense tonight, be really difficult to force him out the team, especially as him and Gilmour link together so well. 

I can't believe Gordopolis even suggested it, what happened to loyalty and rewarding performance. How can you just chuck McTominay back in after such a stellar performance, what example does that set? - that man would give his right arm for Steve Clarke. 

Great result and the type of performance that we want to see all the time. Still worrying about the lack of goals but everyone put a great shift in.

Austria were bang average and thought SOD dealt with Alaba quite well and got in behind him several times too. Hanley strolled the game again and has Arnautovic tucked away in his pocket never to be seen again. So many positives from that performance and it’s amazing how quickly the mood of the whole nation can turn.

It’s in our own hands (like it is for Israel), but win the next 3 and we finish 2nd without worrying about Denmark.

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

That was probably the kind of game where we all shit ourselves during it but if we watched it back then we'd find Scotland were fairly comfortable. We definitely could've slowed things down a wee bit in the second half, but they seemed absolutely fine letting Hanley and Hendry defend the box.

Other than the header from the corner, did they have any chances?

McGregor's beginning to have a knack of coming up in big moments for us and his partnership with Gilmour is so sexy. I think it has to be Adams + Dykes from this point forward. Maybe there'll be the odd change at RWB, one of the CBs or the midfield but this is clearly the first-choicr team.

The first choice team should have McTominay in it somewhere, preferably in midfield but damned if I can see hos you do it. It would have to be for McGregor in midfield or Hendry at the back and neither deserves that. 

Can't remember too many wins away to a decent sized nation when qualification was still on the line, Paris apart. 

Croatia was a dead rubber for us I think? 

Last one must have been Norway in 2005? Before we made a c**t of it against Belarus at home in the next game. 

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

We were only comfortable because Austria didn't have a striker that could do anything proper with those gorgeous crosses that were being slung in regularly from the left and because VAR for whatever reason ignored O'Donnell's clothes line on baumgartner. 

I choose to believe that Clarke knew the former and said "let them cross" 

The second, we got lucky. 

And Austria can f**k off with thinking they're better, that was an even contest. 

Arnautovic is a pretty decent striker - wish we had him. 

Re their penalty claim, watching it a few times again on Sportscene, and SOD was fouled first so would be v surprised if it had gone to VAR and a penalty was awarded. The laser sharp analysts of Burke and McCann both concurred. 

Have we actually got strengths in depth now?  Those who didn't start include Christie, Jack, McTominay, Fraser, Forrest.

Having all those options on the bench for games would be superb. Will never happen of course, will the call offs we usually get.

5 hours ago, Mr Gandosaur said:

Can't remember too many wins away to a decent sized nation when qualification was still on the line, Paris apart. 

Croatia was a dead rubber for us I think? 

Last one must have been Norway in 2005? Before we made a c**t of it against Belarus at home in the next game. 

That Oslo trip was fucking superb. We were tremendous that night.

Edited by Squirrelhumper