Austria v Scotland

GordonS

“I think we tried everything, but unfortunately we didn't succeed very much. We finally have to get the quality that we undoubtedly have in the team onto the pitch and beat opponents like Scotland, who are nowhere near the quality of ours, at home. I just want to apologize to the many fans who have come to the stadium, who are still sticking with us, and who always have our backs, no matter how we play, no matter how things are going. We really wanted to win today. " Stefan Ilsanker (Austria midfielder):

Very happy we won and gives some perspective on how a team like Austria perceive Scotland.

Not relevant to tonight’s match, but as I thought last week, the second half performance against Denmark was down to how we played and not Denmark “taking their foot off the gas”. Denmark are a team that go for the kill if they can, and they don’t give their opponents an easy ride. 8-0 against Moldova and 5-0 tonight against Israel prove that.

12 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I understand where the criticism has been previously - but all year he's been outstanding in a Scotland shirt.  I don't know if it's having Gilmour with him gives him an extra second, but the two of them seem to be on a carousel handing the ball off at will.  Magnificent.

Denmark wasn't the best but I thought that Gilmour and McGregor had a real understanding in the second half anyway, they clicked. McGregor works so hard and he reads the play, Gilmour is sublime and delivers. Thy work well together.

I didn't watch the game (internet issues) but listened on the radio. I was hearing from pals that SoD was marvellous, and from Liam McLeod that he was rubbish. At the same time it seemed that Robbo was having a poor game, but he seems to get a much, much easier ride from the press than SoD does.

Also, did we really just play a lot of long ball stuff or did we go through the midfield a bit too?

Waiting to buy Israel tickets now, and then probably have to stump up for fancy binoculars as I'll no doubt be behind the goals......

“I think we tried everything, but unfortunately we didn't succeed very much. We finally have to get the quality that we undoubtedly have in the team onto the pitch and beat opponents like Scotland, who are nowhere near the quality of ours, at home. I just want to apologize to the many fans who have come to the stadium, who are still sticking with us, and who always have our backs, no matter how we play, no matter how things are going. We really wanted to win today. " Stefan Ilsanker (Austria midfielder):
Very happy we won and gives some perspective on how a team like Austria perceive Scotland.
^^^Desperate Dan

18 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I’m sure there’s an Austrian 2426255 on Apfelstrudel and Almdudler defiantly stating that Austria have no right to beat Scotland.

Great result tonight.  Precisely the type we've failed to deliver in qualifying campaigns for years.

With Israel getting hammered, we've a real chance of getting second now. 

Obviously, we're capable of losing to Israel.  With the stakes now high, I'm also getting the fear over the trips to Moldova and the Faroes. 

However, we're still in the World Cup, even if the play-offs are a long road if we don't yet mess up the group.

That was probably the kind of game where we all shit ourselves during it but if we watched it back then we'd find Scotland were fairly comfortable. We definitely could've slowed things down a wee bit in the second half, but they seemed absolutely fine letting Hanley and Hendry defend the box.

Other than the header from the corner, did they have any chances?

McGregor's beginning to have a knack of coming up in big moments for us and his partnership with Gilmour is so sexy. I think it has to be Adams + Dykes from this point forward. Maybe there'll be the odd change at RWB, one of the CBs or the midfield but this is clearly the first-choicr team.

13 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’m sure there’s an Austrian 2426255 on Apfelstrudel and Almdudler defiantly stating that Austria have no right to beat Scotland.

Actually it backs up what I was saying, Austria have no god given right to beat Scotland which was proven on the night just like Austria have no god given right to beat Israel and Scotland have no god given right to beat Austria or Israel. You can't predict in advance how the games will unfold and the teams are roughly speaking on a par.

Hopefully you will remember that wee nugget in the future but with a result like we had in Vienna it should be eez-eh enough.

Adams and Dykes both seem to play better in a proper 2 up front system, rather than one of them playing alone supported by Christie or Fraser. 

I think if everyone is fit, the team going forward has to be:

Gordon

McTominay-Hanley-Tierney

SOD-Gilmour-McGregor-McGinn-Robertson

Dykes-Adams