Austria v Scotland

GordonS

Just now, Antiochas III said:

Thing is he wasn't the worst against the Croats or Czech's but he was the only one being hounded by the fans.  

In fact he's never once been our worst player on the park, but has been countless times been up against the best of the opposition...  

He was absolutely shite in both of those games. I quite like him but let’s be serious.

6 minutes ago, Proposition Joe said:

Boyd made a good point about us getting too down after defeats and too excited after victories.

Anyway, I've got Billy Gilmour, Lyndon Dykes and Paul McGinn as my 1,2,3 for the Ballon D'or, how about you ?

Nonsense! 

Anyway, that must be us about, what, eighth in the FIFA rankings now? 

😂

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Great result tonight. Thought it was a deserved victory. No failures in the team and some excellent performances. Gilmour really is top class. McGregor gets a lot of criticism on these threads but he was great tonight.

No idea why McGregor would get stick tbh. His average performances are better than most and there’s a reason he’s played so much football over the last few seasons.

40 minutes ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Hanley very good tonight. My main concern with him is always his lack of pace but playing Tierney and Hendry (also excellent tonight) alongside in a 3 seems to offset that and definitely improves defensive distribution. Worth sticking with that back 3 in the future, fitness and form permitting?

Hanley is one of our quickest players….

7 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

No idea why McGregor would get stick tbh. His average performances are better than most and there’s a reason he’s played so much football over the last few seasons.

I understand where the criticism has been previously - but all year he's been outstanding in a Scotland shirt.  I don't know if it's having Gilmour with him gives him an extra second, but the two of them seem to be on a carousel handing the ball off at will.  Magnificent.

After such a good win and great performance, I'm maybe nitpicking if I say I really want to see more from Robertson. He hasn't been great for Scotland for a while now and any set pieces seem to hit the first man and he isn't getting the crosses in as often as he used to.

Edited by AJF

1 minute ago, AJF said:

After such a good win and great performance, I'm maybe nitpicking if I say I really want to see more from Robertson. He hasn't been great for Scotland for a while now and any set pieces seem to hit the first man and he isn't getting the crosses in as often as he used to.

i'd take the captaincy off of him and let him concentrate on his own game....i also kinda feel sorry for him when playing for scotland as he seems to be reluctant to bomb down the wings due to the fact he doesnt have VVD covering his arse.

Have to say I didn't see that coming for one minute after Saturday. However fair play to Steve Clarke, an absolute masterclass tonight tactically.

Not one failure among the team and it was time for them to stand up and be counted. Agree with those who thought McGregor was superb tonight. Gilmour is a classy player and the back 5 were colossal. Jack Hendry, what an improvement even since the Euros, staying firmly beside Hanley apart from the odd occasion.

We should enjoy tonight but as Kris Boyd says, let's not get too high. A lot of work still to be done.

17 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
20 minutes ago, For Your Pies Only said:
Whenever I watch him play for the national team or Norwich he looks a couple of yards of the pace (and turns like an HGV), but I seem to be in the minority there, so fair fucks.
Not criticising his performance tonight btw - he was great and has been consistently good over the last few Scotland fixtures he's played in imo.

I certainly think he's added pace (or quickness of thought) to his he since his first spell with the national team. He just looks so assured now.

17 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Hanley  is fucking rapid, what are you on about?

Law And Order Dickwolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

As I said above, just my impression - entirely possible that's an opinion still coloured by his performances for Scotland a few years ago. He's definitely quicker than he was, I won't argue that. Once again, fair fucks and happy to be shouted down on this one.

Either way, I look forward to watching him win Gold in the hunner metres at the next Commonwealth Games 👍