Austria v Scotland

GordonS

Am I right in saying that, so long as we don't lose tonight, finishing 2nd remains in our hands even if we lose to Demmark at Hampden?

I don't mean to be arrogant, but if we can't beat Israel at Hampden then maybe we don't deserve to get a playoff spot.

It coming down to one game at Hampden would have been the dream scenario for both sides going into the campaign.

RE: tonight, though. Let's go after them. Get ahead and see what they have in them.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Am I right in saying that, so long as we don't lose tonight, finishing 2nd remains in our hands even if we lose to Demmark at Hampden?

I don't mean to be arrogant, but if we can't beat Israel at Hampden then maybe we don't deserve to get a playoff spot.

It coming down to one game at Hampden would have been the dream scenario for both sides going into the campaign.

RE: tonight, though. Let's go after them. Get ahead and see what they have in them.

As long as Denmark beat Israel tonight I think that's right. 

The chat about Paterson and SOD is confusing me. Obviously Paterson is young etc and SOD is better defensively but IMO thay doesn’t really matter. We are playing with three centre halves so therefore Paterson should be able to play to his strengths and get forward. When he moves forward then the holding midfielder drops in to cover him.

When SOD plays we almost essentially sacrifice our whole right side attacking wise and become pretty easy to read.

It’s an easy decision for me

The issue is neither of them are good enough, for different reasons. I’d also lump for Paterson as the least bad option. He may be good enough one day. O’Donnell never has been nor will he ever be.

The chat about Paterson and SOD is confusing me. Obviously Paterson is young etc and SOD is better defensively but IMO thay doesn’t really matter. We are playing with three centre halves so therefore Paterson should be able to play to his strengths and get forward. When he moves forward then the holding midfielder drops in to cover him.

When SOD plays we almost essentially sacrifice our whole right side attacking wise and become pretty easy to read.

It’s an easy decision for me

I feel like this is just a bit of a cliche though. O'Donnell's average position has consistently been higher than the midfield and often as high if not higher than Robertson. Folk highlighted his role in the goals against the Czechs at Hampden and against Austria but the most obvious example for me is his involvement in the goal in Serbia.

It is certainly true that at this level he isn't as technically skilled in attack as many of his teammates and can sometimes get found out for that, but he nonetheless gets into attacking positions regularly and does make contributions there. His position is clearly one of the ones that is least secure, but ultimately so far he has seen off Palmer and (Callum) Paterson to keep a hold of it, and (Nathan) Patterson has still to turn in a performance for club or country that would make him a dead cert for us, though of course he will rightly get many more chances.

I feel like this is just a bit of a cliche though. O'Donnell's average position has consistently been higher than the midfield and often as high if not higher than Robertson. Folk highlighted his role in the goals against the Czechs at Hampden and against Austria but the most obvious example for me is his involvement in the goal in Serbia.

It is certainly true that at this level he isn't as technically skilled in attack as many of his teammates and can sometimes get found out for that, but he nonetheless gets into attacking positions regularly and does make contributions there. His position is clearly one of the ones that is least secure, but ultimately so far he has seen off Palmer and (Callum) Paterson to keep a hold of it, and (Nathan) Patterson has still to turn in a performance for club or country that would make him a dead cert for us, though of course he will rightly get many more chances.

He is average going forward despite a few decent plays he has done. Paterson has started one game and played a big part in the winning goal. Yes he will mistakes but he should only get better and I’d rather play him and mould him to the system

By the way, I am probably coming across as harsh on SOD. He deserves praise for they way he has stepped but he is not good enough if we want to progress and, we have a young player, who could potentially become very good who plays the same position so makes sense to go with him

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I don't know how to say this without being offensive so I'm just going to say it - if you genuinely believe anyone outside of Scotland takes any notice of our results, let alone spends any sort of time laughing at them, then you are a deluded fanny. 

Too wee, too poor, too stupid. We should all just support Team GB, or whichever of Rangers or Celtic we were christened as.

I am jumping in on the SOD thing again, he is often the highest player up the park with the strikers, I don’t understand the comments about him not getting forward.

The debate is valid but let’s not make up facts to suit our argument.