Austria v Scotland

GordonS

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

I wish we would just play the same team and tactics that worked against England. Clarke won’t though; because he is a complete shitebag.

I reckon he’ll go with something like this

IMG_8259.jpg

That will almost certainly be the starting line up.

Well, this puts to bed the SC bollocks about not having enough time to make call ups on a Sunday ahead of a Wednesday game, when we can make additions literally 36-48 before an away match.
Also highlights further the absurd decision not to replace Armstrong.
We now have two midfield subs, and one attacking sub for away in Austria.  We again, have no right back cover. 

McGinn is right wing-back back cover, that's literally why he's been brought in. We'll also probably have Ferguson, Christie and Turnbull as midfield options on the bench if he picks the team I expect him to pick with Dykes and Adams paired up front together.

McGinn isn't who I'd have called up, but he's a regular starter at one of the best teams in the league.

SOD will play in Austria, Patterson played against Moldova purely cause it was Moldova and to give him some experience/game time. That would of been Clarke's plan all along. Yes Patterson is the better potential option but for steadiness SOD will be picked as Clarke trusts him. 

I'd like 352 to get in the bin but doubt it will so..

Gordon 

SOD Hendry Cooper KT Robbo 

Mcginn Gilmour Mcgregor

Christie Dykes. 

Think Hanley will miss out looked to be struggling come the end of the game on Saturday (if not get him in for Hendry). Think Dykes will play cause we will lump it direct most of the time unfortunately  

If we did revert to playing a back 4, is KT not capable of play LCB? It’s a bit of a nightmare but you simply can’t be leaving out both of these players. They are far too good and offer plenty options when both are on the pitch. No doubt Hickey will have a stormer of a season in Serie A, get a massive move, and we’ll have 3 absolutely class LB’s to choose. Has KT not played RB for us before and looked comfortable? Surely better option that fucking O’Donnell?

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

McGinn's call up is equally as baffling as Clarke's eagerness to fast-track Patterson. If you go by club form over the last 6 months, Rooney, Ralston and Ramsey should be ahead of both McGinn and Patterson for a squad place. 

I haven't seen much of McGinn lately and I've never seen Ramsey (I didn't even know who he was until I went and looked him up there). But Ralston and Rooney should be nowhere near an international squad.

48 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I haven't seen much of McGinn lately and I've never seen Ramsey (I didn't even know who he was until I went and looked him up there). But Ralston and Rooney should be nowhere near an international squad.

I think Clarke pick McGinn because he was most experience and he help Hibs top league

Ramsay shouldn’t be getting bumped up to the full squad for the same reason Patterson pretty much shouldn’t be starting games for us - neither have played nearly enough first team football to merit it and/or be at the level required yet. Scotland need to do much better at getting young talent into squads earlier  - but chucking in guys with a handful of professional appearances might be too far the opposite direction.

I’ve never seen Ramsay so I could be completely wrong about him- but Patterson is defensively very naive and really needs a full season playing at a good level at this stage to develop his positional sense and how to defend against at good players. Even against poor Moldovan players on Saturday he made the wrong choice repeatedly. That moment in the first half where he chopped the guy down on the right edge of the box was a prime example - totally needless. Bundles of talent and good driving forward in the first half in particular but I would have been concerned about him playing against superior (to Moldova) opposition tomorrow.

With a bit of luck both of the above players will get enough game time this season to make them mainstays of the team for the next decade. I’m sure Ramsay will because he won’t have as much competition for his place at Aberdeen. I’m not convinced Patterson will dislodge Tavernier this season and I really wish he’d got a loan out somewhere this season. He’s not going to develop his game sitting on Rangers bench and playing cup games. I can see him getting Sunday games after European ties if Rangers are playing relegation threatened sides but I suspect Gerrard will still want Tavernier against the better teams in the league.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A number of people have said this in relation to Ramsay and I'm yet to work out why it's relevant.

It's relevant because I didn't know who he was. Not sure why that needs to be considered any more deeply than that?

It's not that big a surprise given he appears to have a total of 3 League starts to his name in his entire career, all in the last month. I've never seen him play. I'm not making any judgements given that I haven't seen him but it's quite remarkable that people are suggesting he should be in the Scotland squad off the back of it.

4 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

There's a clip of Clarke on sky sports twitter which suggests Mcginn wasn't the first choice replacement but others (or maybe their clubs) made them unavailable. 

Edit :here it is 

Could just be that he's tried to get players for other positions as well.

13 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Ramsay shouldn’t be getting bumped up to the full squad for the same reason Patterson pretty much shouldn’t be starting games for us - neither have played nearly enough first team football to merit it and/or be at the level required yet. Scotland need to do much better at getting young talent into squads earlier  - but chucking in guys with a handful of professional appearances might be too far the opposite direction.

I’ve never seen Ramsay so I could be completely wrong about him- but Patterson is defensively very naive and really needs a full season playing at a good level at this stage to develop his positional sense and how to defend against at good players. Even against poor Moldovan players on Saturday he made the wrong choice repeatedly. That moment in the first half where he chopped the guy down on the right edge of the box was a prime example - totally needless. Bundles of talent and good driving forward in the first half in particular but I would have been concerned about him playing against superior (to Moldova) opposition tomorrow.

With a bit of luck both of the above players will get enough game time this season to make them mainstays of the team for the next decade. I’m sure Ramsay will because he won’t have as much competition for his place at Aberdeen. I’m not convinced Patterson will dislodge Tavernier this season and I really wish he’d got a loan out somewhere this season. He’s not going to develop his game sitting on Rangers bench and playing cup games. I can see him getting Sunday games after European ties if Rangers are playing relegation threatened sides but I suspect Gerrard will still want Tavernier against the better teams in the league.

This would be the case, if our other options at RWB weren’t absolutely howling.