Austria v Scotland

GordonS

18 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Well Austria away became key because we only drew at home.  We have to at least match Austria across the two ties to have a chance.

The Israel tie is key because it's a home tie we need to win.  Assuming Denmark is going to be the hardest match if we can't beat them, don't beat Israel and didn't beat Austria at home then we are basically fucked.

On the other hand if we beat Israel at home (with the away draw), match Austria (two draws) and maybe get something off Denmark at home (say another draw) I think there is a decent chance we would finish second if we mop up the minnows.  

That sounds like they are equally as important as the previous two, not more important, other than the fact that games later on appear to be more important because you tend to know what results you need.

24 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Dykes has been utterly horrible for us recently. It doesn’t need to be Dykes, unless all we do is punt the ball up the park the entire game - in that case it might as well be Dykes. Adams is very good at linking the play, if we get the ball into feet and can also run in behind. 

^^^^ Didn't watch the game on Saturday type post.

Even leaving aside the fact Dykes scored the only goal (from a yard I'll grant you) and has 9 goals from his last 12 League games for QPR, Adams was dreadful when he came on. Either losing possession of firing high and wide every time he had the ball.

Dykes holds the ball up for midfield runners in a way that neither Adams or Nisbet can do. He'll not score as many goals as either but he's better at getting a team up the park. He also adds defensive ability at set pieces that the other two don't really do as bonus. Solo striker away from home has to be Dykes if he's fit.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

^^^^ Didn't watch the game on Saturday type post.

Even leaving aside the fact Dykes scored the only goal (from a yard I'll grant you) and has 9 goals from his last 12 League games for QPR, Adams was dreadful when he came on. Either losing possession of firing high and wide every time he had the ball.

Dykes holds the ball up for midfield runners in a way that neither Adams or Nisbet can do. He'll not score as many goals as either but he's better at getting a team up the park. He also adds defensive ability at set pieces that the other two don't really do as bonus. Solo striker away from home has to be Dykes if he's fit.

😂 I was there on Saturday and Dykes offered absolutely nothing. Both him and Nisbet, looked like they had reverted back to the lower league players they were. 

Take the biased Queens glasses off, Adams is absolutely light years ahead of Dykes at linking the play. 

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

😂 I was there on Saturday and Dykes offered absolutely nothing. Both him and Nisbet, looked like they had reverted back to the lower league players they were. 

Take the biased Queens glasses off, Adams is absolutely light years ahead of Dykes at linking the play. 

I thought Dykes was alright tbh.  I don't think he plays particularly well with a direct partner for us right enough

We'll lose this and that will be our qualification campaign over, despite loads of folk giving various permutations / combinations of how we can still qualify.

We are a good striker away from being a good team. Goalkeeper also a worry over the next few years.

Dykes offering nothing is a wild take. Felt he was pretty good on Saturday frankly, though a couple of times when he had the ball at his feet facing goal he made the wrong decision. There were plenty others on the pitch at the weekend that had much worse games than big Lyndon. 

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Would be nice to call up a replacement for Fraser, but I’ve absolutely no idea who that could be.

Well if Paul McGinn has been drafted in to replace Patterson then perhaps Alan Forrest would be an equally mental call

1 hour ago, gc_smfc said:

Don't really get the McGinn call up, can only assume that he might be double vaccinated or passes more criteria for covid availability than the others. 

All kidding aside, i reckon this is probably the main reason he's there

13 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Absolutely nothing......... apart from the winning goal. 😆 Which Nisbet had a massive part in also for that matter.

Whether he played poorly on Saturday or not (I tend to agree he's had better games), he's miles ahead of Adams in playing a solo front man role. Biased or not.

I like Adams and would generally like to see him and Dykes up front together. I might be tempted to do so Tuesday too with Christie having a seat on the bench, but if we're only playing one of them, as Clarke almost certainly will, it should be Dykes.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

5 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Well if Paul McGinn has been drafted in to replace Patterson then perhaps Alan Forrest would be an equally mental call

All kidding aside, i reckon this is probably the main reason he's there

Shaun Rooney played in Austria for his club about three weeks ago so it would surely be a surprise if he suddenly wasn’t allowed into the country now. Dunno about Ralston’s situation but he’s also been playing European away games.

Obviously it’s unlikely either would get on the park but they’d make far more sense than McGinn both in terms of recent form and potential for the future.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Hibs fans are the most deluded fuckwits on God's earth, and even they think McGinn is shite. 

I realise it's highly unlikely that McGinn will get a game, but Clarke has completely fallen off the deep end with this one. An absolute roaster. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

9 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Shaun Rooney played in Austria for his club about three weeks ago so it would surely be a surprise if he suddenly wasn’t allowed into the country now. Dunno about Ralston’s situation but he’s also been playing European away games.

Obviously it’s unlikely either would get on the park but they’d make far more sense than McGinn both in terms of recent form and potential for the future.

Might just come down to Rooney/Ralston being given time off by their clubs and not getting tested versus someone who is allowed to join the squad and travel immediately. 

McGinn isn't someone who should be near the squad, but people would be going equally mental if no replacement got called up and we somehow lost SOD to injury. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Hibs fans are the most deluded fuckwits on God's earth, and even they think McGinn is shite. 

I realise it's highly unlikely that McGinn will get a game, but Clarke has completely fallen off the deep end with this one. An absolute roaster. 

McGinn hasn’t had the best of games this season so far so I’m surprised he was called up. 

There's no reason for McGinn getting called up ahead of others bar Clarke deciding so IMO.

He's neither the best RCB option available, nor the best RWB option, so its confusing why he's there at all, but Clarke is the same guy who capped Andy Considine, Paul Hanlon and Eamonn Brophy, so yeah.

Well, this puts to bed the SC bollocks about not having enough time to make call ups on a Sunday ahead of a Wednesday game, when we can make additions literally 36-48 before an away match.

Also highlights further the absurd decision not to replace Armstrong.

We now have two midfield subs, and one attacking sub for away in Austria.  We again, have no right back cover.

28 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Dykes offering nothing is a wild take. Felt he was pretty good on Saturday frankly, though a couple of times when he had the ball at his feet facing goal he made the wrong decision. There were plenty others on the pitch at the weekend that had much worse games than big Lyndon. 

25 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Absolutely nothing......... apart from the winning goal. 😆 Which Nisbet had a massive part in also for that matter.

Whether he played poorly on Saturday or not (I tend to agree he's had better games), he's miles ahead of Adams in playing a solo front man role. Biased or not.

I like Adams and would generally like to see him and Dykes up front together. I might be tempted to do so Tuesday too with Christie having a seat on the bench, but if we're only playing one of them, as Clarke almost certainly will, it should be Dykes.

He sclaffed a one yard tap in. 

He definitely wasn’t pretty good, but he wasn’t the worst on the park either. 

The Dykes v Serbia has an argument to be our starting striker if we only play with one, the Dykes we have seen recently does not. As I said, if we are playing with a completely isolated front man then I would agree, however as long as the midfield is up in support then Adams is the better option - if that doesn’t happen then it’s on Clarke. 

Clarke obviously prefers experience, so I’m not certain why anyone is shocked by the McGinn call up. It’s not the call I’d have made, and I’d far rather Ramsay in there but its clear why Clarke has picked a 30 year old unspectacular right back over an 18 year old potentially very good right back.

On another note, I’m pleased there’s now no way that we’ll have to watch Kenny McLean playing tomorrow.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Clarke obviously prefers experience, so I’m not certain why anyone is shocked by the McGinn call up. It’s not the call I’d have made, and I’d far rather Ramsay in there but its clear why Clarke has picked a 30 year old unspectacular right back over an 18 year old potentially very good right back.

On another note, I’m pleased there’s now no way that we’ll have to watch Kenny McLean playing tomorrow.

Given that he played Patterson on Saturday.....a full back who barely plays for his club, and is totally untested in professional football....I'm not sure that statement is true. 

McGinn's call up is equally as baffling as Clarke's eagerness to fast-track Patterson. If you go by club form over the last 6 months, Rooney, Ralston and Ramsey should be ahead of both McGinn and Patterson for a squad place. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

12 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Given that he played Patterson on Saturday.....a full back who barely plays for his club, and is totally untested in professional football....I'm not sure that statement is true. 

McGinn's call up is equally as baffling as Clarke's eagerness to fast-track Patterson. If you go by club form over the last 6 months, Rooney, Ralston and Ramsey should be ahead of both McGinn and Patterson for a call up. 

We were playing against Moldova, the fifth worst team in Europe, on Saturday, so he probably felt a bit more relaxed in that regard. I think looking over the rest of his tenure, you’ll see that when it comes down to it, he picks experience more often than not.

I don’t really have a problem with Patterson being fast tracked into the squad, given our other options there. It’s no like he’s being picked over outstanding players at a high level, is it?

Edit: and just for what it’s worth, Anthony Ralston is still pish, and his recent purple patch doesn’t change that. Should be nowhere near a Scotland squad.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

16 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

McGinn's call up is equally as baffling as Clarke's eagerness to fast-track Patterson. If you go by club form over the last 6 months, Rooney, Ralston and Ramsey should be ahead of both McGinn and Patterson for a squad place. 

You peed upon your own case here Bob. Anthony Ralston is still bollux and has only been a thing again for about all of 5 minutes. Aye he laughed at Neymar once but was pish and disappeared into Sellik obscurity for a couple of years.

Edited by 8MileBU