Austria v Scotland

GordonS

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Ralston, Rooney, Ramsay, Palmer and Hickey - just a few more sensible options. 

Hickey is starting in Serie A and by all accounts can play either side FFS. 

I think most countries would have Hickey and Gauld in the squad but Clarke doesn’t pay attention to anyone outside UK.

2 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I think most countries would have Hickey and Gauld in the squad but Clarke doesn’t pay attention to anyone outside UK.

I could understand neither being in the Euro’s squad, but with the withdrawals both should absolutely be in there. With Fraser out, Gauld would have a good chance of starting tomorrow night too. 

Personally don’t think Paul McGinn is good enough but boiling the piss of St Johnstone (as always) and Celtic fans after Tony Ralston had 3 good games after 3 years of being shite is always a bit of good patter and like, does it really fucking matter who our back up RB is? He won’t fucking play anyway 😂.

Fraser being out is the real blow here, would have been a good option to have and I probably would have started him.

I would play;

Gordon; Tierney, Hanley, Hendry; Robertson, Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor, O’Donnell; Christie, Adams 

It seems the most logical way of doing it but tbf Clarke is prone to not doing the most logical thing but we shall see, get away with a draw and I’ll be pleased, Austria are missing a fair few players too, the midfield battle will be key and we really need to do what we do best by pressing high up the pitch.

Definitely a good thing that this is the last of the triple headers, obviously as is clearly shown the players are absolutely dropping like flies.

Not a fan of one replacement for 3 call offs but that’s not a Steve Clarke specific gripe, it’s always been like that and I’ve no idea why.

Win and all is forgiven, draw and it’s still in our hands, lose and it’s pretty much over and pressure starts to mount.

5 minutes ago, gc_smfc said:

Don't really get the McGinn call up, can only assume that he might be double vaccinated or passes more criteria for covid availability than the others. 

Think this could be it. He’s a good bit older than the other options so more chance that he’s double vaxxed. He’s been in one squad before though and Clarke likes that.

That's bizarre. Can McGinn even play wing-back? I thought he usually turned into a third CB at Hibs or at best supported from RB.

Ramsay's involvement with the u21s has probably ruled him out but he'd have been my choice to come in.

I would've liked replacements for McLean and Fraser called up as one of them would've likely come on depending on the score, but I'm not sure who could've been called up. Fleck for McLean? Burke for Fraser? Not inspiring options.

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

That's bizarre. Can McGinn even play wing-back? I thought he usually turned into a third CB at Hibs or at best supported from RB.

Ramsay's involvement with the u21s has probably ruled him out but he'd have been my choice to come in.

I would've liked replacements for McLean and Fraser called up as one of them would've likely come on depending on the score, but I'm not sure who could've been called up. Fleck for McLean? Burke for Fraser? Not inspiring options.

Would have been some week for Ramsay. From not being good enough for the U21's to suddenly appearing on the national teams bench.

Would have been some week for Ramsay. From not being good enough for the U21's to suddenly appearing on the national teams bench.
Wonder if that's ever happened before, going from 19s to 21s to the first team within a fortnight.

Right now we look ok in terms of points and the table but I think that is mainly due to not having played the key fixtures (Israel home, Austria away).

If we could win it would put a major dent in Austria's hopes however let's be honest about this we don't look like beating a decent team at home never mind away from home. On the flip side this is pretty much a must win for Austria and if that doesn't motivate the home side nothing will.  

A draw would be fine if we win against Israel at home and don't drop silly points on the road (who isn't terrified at the prospect of Moldova away?) but overall though this team still has a lot to prove that it's even mediocre never mind able to qualify from a group.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:
2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Wonder if that's ever happened before, going from 19s to 21s to the first team within a fortnight.

I can't think of an example. At least not to potentially play some part in a fixture. I'd imagine loads of guys have come up from U21's at short notice to beef up training numbers etc.

19 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Personally don’t think Paul McGinn is good enough but boiling the piss of St Johnstone (as always) and Celtic fans after Tony Ralston had 3 good games after 3 years of being shite is always a bit of good patter and like, does it really fucking matter who our back up RB is? He won’t fucking play anyway 😂.

Fraser being out is the real blow here, would have been a good option to have and I probably would have started him.

I would play;

Gordon; Tierney, Hanley, Hendry; Robertson, Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor, O’Donnell; Christie, Adams 

It seems the most logical way of doing it but tbf Clarke is prone to not doing the most logical thing but we shall see, get away with a draw and I’ll be pleased, Austria are missing a fair few players too, the midfield battle will be key and we really need to do what we do best by pressing high up the pitch.

Definitely a good thing that this is the last of the triple headers, obviously as is clearly shown the players are absolutely dropping like flies.

Not a fan of one replacement for 3 call offs but that’s not a Steve Clarke specific gripe, it’s always been like that and I’ve no idea why.

Win and all is forgiven, draw and it’s still in our hands, lose and it’s pretty much over and pressure starts to mount.

If you are playing a single striker supported from midfield it simply has to be Dykes. Adams should only start if we're playing two up (which I suspect we won't in this one).

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Right now we look ok in terms of points and the table but I think that is mainly due to not having played the key fixtures (Israel home, Austria away).

Why are these considered more "key" fixtures than the two we have already played against those two nations?

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Why are these considered more "key" fixtures than the two we have already played against those two nations?

Well Austria away became key because we only drew at home.  We have to at least match Austria across the two ties to have a chance.

The Israel tie is key because it's a home tie we need to win.  Assuming Denmark is going to be the hardest match if we can't beat them, don't beat Israel and didn't beat Austria at home then we are basically fucked.

On the other hand if we beat Israel at home (with the away draw), match Austria (two draws) and maybe get something off Denmark at home (say another draw) I think there is a decent chance we would finish second if we mop up the minnows.  

52 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I would assume Clarke's logic is that this is just a temporary stop gap and he's as well bringing in a guy who's already been in and around squads before in McGinn rather than bringing in someone completely new to it. You can easily flip that round though and say he'd be better bringing in someone who might get more caps in future, which McGinn definitely won't. 

It was probably, Who is near an airport?

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If you are playing a single striker supported from midfield it simply has to be Dykes. Adams should only start if we're playing two up (which I suspect we won't in this one).

Dykes has been utterly horrible for us recently. It doesn’t need to be Dykes, unless all we do is punt the ball up the park the entire game - in that case it might as well be Dykes. Adams is very good at linking the play, if we get the ball into feet and can also run in behind.