Austria v Scotland

GordonS

58 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

If...if...if...if. Win against Austria and our chances are still alive for finishing second, don’t win and although mathematically we could still be second, we all know deep down it’s not happening.

I believe I made it quite clear that I was making a few educated guesses to illustrate my point.

What you’re saying is based on your own negativity and pessimism and nothing to do with actual probability. 

I’m not saying Scotland haven’t given us plenty of reasons to be cynical over the years but saying a draw on Tuesday means we absolutely won’t finish 2nd is clearly wrong.

I’m never confident for a Scotland game but I think we can definitely win tomorrow. For all that some folk really don’t like Clarke’s Scotland, Foda’s Austria play some shite football. The only time I can remember them properly impressing me as of recent was the narrow loss against Italy in the Euros. If Israel can beat them 5-2 with (no disrespect to Israel as they have some good players and a brilliant attack) a worse squad than ours I really don’t see why we shouldn’t be beating Austria. Think we should’ve done so at Hampden. Do hope the players don’t let Austria have time on the ball as much as they did with Moldova though. Austria aren’t playing great but their team is mostly experienced top-half Bundesliga starters. If you’re going to give them that much time on the ball they will punish us 

8 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I believe I made it quite clear that I was making a few educated guesses to illustrate my point.

What you’re saying is based on your own negativity and pessimism and nothing to do with actual probability. 

I’m not saying Scotland haven’t given us plenty of reasons to be cynical over the years but saying a draw on Tuesday means we absolutely won’t finish 2nd is clearly wrong.

I’ll have you know that three of my nicknames are “Mr Positivity”, “Mr Optimism” and “Mr Glass Half Full Guy”.

8 hours ago, 2426255 said:

4-5-1? mate you need to give it up, your no cut out for management with a team like that. Tierney at right back? Turnbull on the left wing? embarrassing. 😅

It’s not as if 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 with Tierney at right back worked under Strachan, of course.

I reckon we'll sit off them again, offer no pressing, make them look like 2012 Barcelona and lose 2-0. 

I'm normally an optimistic fella, but hearing how intense the team are in training followed by an insipid, disjointed display is becoming the norm. Clarke rivals Levein in negativity. He's just not as up front about it.

Delighted to be proven wrong obviously, but he seems wedded to a system that isn't getting the most out of this team.

9 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

McLean, Fraser and Patterson out.

Paul McGinn in, which will definitely boil considerably quantities of Celtic & St Johnstone piss.

I thought this was some strange kind of post taking the absolute piss, until I checked Twitter.

Fraser is a big loss, when we are chasing the game we don’t have a more attacking replacement for SOD either now. 

From what I have seen/heard McGinn had been woeful this season. I wasn’t in favour of calling Ralston up, but in an emergency I would far rather play a guy who has been on form over the last few games. 

Edited by No_Problemo

4 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Ralston's had about 6 good games ffs. Unlikely that any of those players would start as I think Clarke would go with O'Donnell anyway and McGinn would be used only in an absolute emergency. 

Then calling up a 30 yo jobber makes even less sense i for me. Should go to someone younger who may actually play one day.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, O'Donnell will start anyway. I'd have had Rooney or Palmer before McGinn and Ramsay before Ralston as well, but it's highly unlikely whoever comes in will get on the park anyway.

I completely forgot about Palmer, that is a baffling one too. I’m not sure it’s that unlikely, given SOD’s limited game time!

I would assume Clarke's logic is that this is just a temporary stop gap and he's as well bringing in a guy who's already been in and around squads before in McGinn rather than bringing in someone completely new to it. You can easily flip that round though and say he'd be better bringing in someone who might get more caps in future, which McGinn definitely won't. 

Jesus, is he trying to top Peter Grant with the way he is going about things?

So that means O’Donnell starts tomorrow night. He’s quite clearly playing for a draw, which would be fine in all fairness but it’s just typical Scotland: no confidence in our capabilities at all.

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I would assume Clarke's logic is that this is just a temporary stop gap and he's as well bringing in a guy who's already been in and around squads before in McGinn rather than bringing in someone completely new to it. You can easily flip that round though and say he'd be better bringing in someone who might get more caps in future, which McGinn definitely won't. 

If that was his logic then Liam Palmer would have been the obvious choice. It’s not a huge deal but it’s a tad baffling all the same.

Would be nice to call up a replacement for Fraser, but I’ve absolutely no idea who that could be.

22 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, O'Donnell will start anyway. I'd have had Rooney or Palmer before McGinn and Ramsay before Ralston as well, but it's highly unlikely whoever comes in will get on the park anyway.

It's highly unlikely that the one reserve right back in the squad will get on?