Improving the current Strikers

Gordopolis

Just now, The Moonster said:

Extremely weird guy. Time to improve my forum experience I think. 

Ha ha, you disagree with me, realise your mucked it up. So start insulting me 🤣 aye block me mate sounds good

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

It depends some managers takes complete charge of coaching. And in which case it is part and parcel of the job.

Just now, The Moonster said:

At part time sides, aye

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't think I've ever heard the Scottish game described as slow or ponderous in my 32 years on this planet until reading these two posts. Leigh Griffiths will also never be near another Scotland team again.

I hear and agree with different opinions. Am 64 right enough. Seen it all with Scotland and the Jags. Luckily saw some great teams managed well. That's not Scotland at the mo

20 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I rate McCoist as a coach but not as a manager, and Miller as a player. You clearly think both are shite. That's fine.
So take McCoist and Miller out of the argument - hire a striking coach (of whatever nationality) of good calibre. I can't see how that'd fail to make us sharper. It certainly couldn't make us any more toothless than we currently look.

What do you base your assessment of his coaching ability on?

What do you base your assessment of his coaching ability on?
I mentioned it earlier - in 2004/5 he was actively coaching Kenny Miller during Scotland games, even shouting at him from the touchline when to hold and when to run. At the time some people said it was embarrassing, but Miller came of age as an international striker during that spell.

I'm not hell-bent on McCoist specifically doing this job, just someone with an undeniable striker-scorer pedigree. It was the fact that McCoist was so razor-sharp with his commentary analysis (in real time) of every flaw in Dykes and Nesbit's fwd play on Saturday that set me thinking about this.

Couple of points on the last few pages:

McCoist seems genuinely happy doing the punditry duties with Sky and talkSPORT, why would he want to give up all that to turn up to Scotland camps every couple of months to try and coach misfiring strikers who have coaches trying to do that at club level? He won’t be back in football at any form of coaching or management level again.

2) Griffiths will never be near a Scotland squad again due to his baggage. I think the Dundee move is needed for him, but the summer controversies will mean Clarke will probably only look in his direction if he has no choice.

3) strikers has been an issue for us for years, I don’t know what happens at club level but it’s quite clear that scoring 20 goals in the championship does not make you an international striker.

Look at a list of strikers we’ve tried and tested since 2006, we just can’t seem to get it to click.

8 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I mentioned it earlier - in 2004/5 he was actively coaching Kenny Miller during Scotland games, even shouting at him from the touchline when to hold and when to run. At the time some people said it was embarrassing, but Miller came of age as an international striker during that spell.

I'm not hell-bent on McCoist specifically doing this job, just someone with an undeniable striker-scorer pedigree. It was the fact that McCoist was so razor-sharp with his commentary analysis (in real time) of every flaw in Dykes and Nesbit's fwd play on Saturday that set me thinking about this.

I'm not convinced.

Miller was better at his worst than Dykes will ever be. He would have been coached elsewhere. If McCoist had been any good he'd have been picked up by someone before now.

Coaching at international level is about layers adhering to the system or formation. Experience will improve the player but the "international" coaching is only a small part of it.

Che Adams is our best striker and therefore should start. I would fancy him to stick away more chances than dykes. The issue is getting the support up to him.

I genuinely think scotlands biggest issue is we are too slow moving through the different phases. We don’t move from defending to attacking quick enough and our tactic seems to be hit a high ball upto dykes and hope he holds it up long enough for support to help him.

Adams struck me (in the back row of the North Stand) as coming on feeling like he had a point to prove, that he'd watched us look like absolute diddies and not taking chances.  He's definitely got a long shot on him, so he decided instead of having panicked build-up play, he'd just try and f**k them in from miles out.  

Unfortunately he didn't realise the shirt he was wearing, and his shots were just as diddy-like as his teammates.

6 hours ago, mizfit said:

Couple of points on the last few pages:

McCoist seems genuinely happy doing the punditry duties with Sky and talkSPORT, why would he want to give up all that to turn up to Scotland camps every couple of months to try and coach misfiring strikers who have coaches trying to do that at club level? He won’t be back in football at any form of coaching or management level again.

2) Griffiths will never be near a Scotland squad again due to his baggage. I think the Dundee move is needed for him, but the summer controversies will mean Clarke will probably only look in his direction if he has no choice.

3) strikers has been an issue for us for years, I don’t know what happens at club level but it’s quite clear that scoring 20 goals in the championship does not make you an international striker.

Look at a list of strikers we’ve tried and tested since 2006, we just can’t seem to get it to click.

Agree, Could go further back aswell for our struggles up top. 

Apart from Mcfadden and Kenny Miller we've not had a striker score over 10 goals for scotland in past 20+ years. Steven fletchers 10 included 6 against gibraltar. 

In fact we've only had 5 scorers who've scored more than miller in our history. 

It's always been an issue as long as i've watched scotland. Games are always tight, we rarely batter the minnow teams either. I thought when Dykes came in and scored 2 early on it was going to be a good option but he was poor against moldova, his touch has been really bad last couple games.

Think we need to persist with adams as i can't see Nisbett being the difference.

Agree, Could go further back aswell for our struggles up top. 
Apart from Mcfadden and Kenny Miller we've not had a striker score over 10 goals for scotland in past 20+ years. Steven fletchers 10 included 6 against gibraltar. 
In fact we've only had 5 scorers who've scored more than miller in our history. 
It's always been an issue as long as i've watched scotland. Games are always tight, we rarely batter the minnow teams either. I thought when Dykes came in and scored 2 early on it was going to be a good option but he was poor against moldova, his touch has been really bad last couple games.
Think we need to persist with adams as i can't see Nisbett being the difference.
Totally agree with all that apart from the not battering the minnows bit: in the past 7/8 years we've popped in 6 Vs Gibraltar twice, 5 vs San Marino, 4 Vs the faroes, 6 vs Malta. That's decent. Only blip there is the laboured wins away to San Marino and at home to Malta, but both were still 2-0 victories anyway.

P.S. I'm not including Moldova in the same bracket as the others. I know they're in a pot lower than the Faroes, but I just don't see them as utter fodder.

36 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Totally agree with all that apart from the not battering the minnows bit: in the past 7/8 years we've popped in 6 Vs Gibraltar twice, 5 vs San Marino, 4 Vs the faroes, 6 vs Malta. That's decent. Only blip there is the laboured wins away to San Marino and at home to Malta, but both were still 2-0 victories anyway.

P.S. I'm not including Moldova in the same bracket as the others. I know they're in a pot lower than the Faroes, but I just don't see them as utter fodder.

Minnows maybe the wrong word, really meant that team that's inbetween the likes of us and real minnows you mentioned. Lowly ranked but always give us trouble. Since we last qualifed for world cup, we've struggled and/or dropped points against likes of Moldova, Faroes, georgia, macedonia, lithuania, wales, cyprus, kazakhstan, israel. (including wales as i think they were pot 6 when we drew them)

On 06/09/2021 at 08:18, ropy said:

Take the players on to the pitch before the match and point out that the goals are on the ground.  Make it clear to them that zero per cent of balls fired 10-30 feet in the air will result in a goal.  Ask them to think of an alternative strategy and use the warm up to try it out.

Didn’t happen

• 2 months later...

Nisbet impressed today for Hibs. First to admit i dont watch huge amounts of hibs but i hadn't realised that young kevin had that assist in his locker.

Receives ball with a deft touch (like mcginn, holding off the man), adjusts his position then delivers a quality through ball on his 2nd touch to Doyle to put him through for the goal. 

Maybe developing through playing with top players in the scotland camp? its a possibility 

Edited by greenockraver

On 07/09/2021 at 08:28, Gordopolis said:

Faddy is still working with them him and a few other coaches were getting called back in remember?

Lawrence Shankland scored his second goal for Beerschot last night against Genk. He looks to have settled in well with his team mates and to life in Belgium and I wouldn't be surprised to see him begin to nail down his place in the team.  

image.png.7cd69fdc47444b3dacb534b26f370e85.png