Improving the current Strikers

Gordopolis

27 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
5 hours ago, General dissaray said:
Faddy is still working with them him and a few other coaches were getting called back in remember?

Is he? I wasn't aware of that.

Lyndon did some extra work with Neil McCann and Billy Dodds in the summer off his own back too.

29 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
5 hours ago, General dissaray said:
Faddy is still working with them him and a few other coaches were getting called back in remember?

Is he? I wasn't aware of that.

Yes Clarke brought in a number off coaches in and around the squad to help out during the squads and Faddy was one off them,it was only on a part time basis though

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Time for Ross Stewart to get a look in? Basically scored a hat trick today (first was an o.g by the keeper but may have went in).

Three different types of goals as well. Surely gets a move from Sunderland in the summer if they don't get promoted?

Id agree, he needs brought in to be assessed by the coaching staff. Maybe a move that waits til the Nations League games in June due to importance of the March game/ double header.

On 08/01/2022 at 22:14, MarkoDevilovich said:

Id agree, he needs brought in to be assessed by the coaching staff. Maybe a move that waits til the Nations League games in June due to importance of the March game/ double header.

Basically, beyond Dykes, Adams, and a misfiring Nisbet, there isn’t a single Scottish striker ripping it up anywhere.  Stewart is scoring more goals and at a higher level than anyone but Watt.  The only players remotely matching are McKenna, Austin, and Goodwillie, all at a much lower level, and again, not even doing anything spectacular…

Thank SC for getting us those two.  Without them we’d probably have the worst striking options since the Vogts era. 

Basically, beyond Dykes, Adams, and a misfiring Nisbet, there isn’t a single Scottish striker ripping it up anywhere.  Stewart is scoring more goals and at a higher level than anyone but Watt.  The only players remotely matching are McKenna, Austin, and Goodwillie, all at a much lower level, and again, not even doing anything spectacular…
Thank SC for getting us those two.  Without them we’d probably have the worst striking options since the Vogts era. 
Good point.

Thinking of the Performance School chat on other threads, are there any PS strikers currently active in high level senior football?

On 11/01/2022 at 08:29, Gordopolis said:

Good point.

Thinking of the Performance School chat on other threads, are there any PS strikers currently active in high level senior football?

Not that I am aware of. The eldest PS players are around 20, 21. Those that went to a PS that I am aware of that are amongst our best young forwards are probably Kai Kennedy (Rangers, was on loan at Dunfermline, more of a winger), Stuart McKinstry (made his debut for Leeds late last year, more of a winger), Dapo Mebude (Watford, on loan in League 1 at Wimbledon where he has played 12 times scored twice). Others kicking around who might be considered out better prospects but who didin't attend a PS are Glenn Middleton (Rangers, on loan at St Johnston, more of a winger), Aaron Pressley (Brentford, on loan at League 1 Wimbledon, played 19 times and scored twice), Ewan Urain (Bilbao B, plays regularly) and Kyle Joseph (Swansea, on loan in League 1 at Cheltenham where he has 19 appearances and 4 goals).

Nobody really stands out there (yet) as being in the class that the likes of Gilmour, Patterson and Ramsay are/will be. 

Edited by albagubrath

1 hour ago, albagubrath said:

Not that I am aware of. The eldest PS players are around 20, 21. Those that went to a PS that I am aware of that are amongst our best young forwards are probably Kai Kennedy (Rangers, was on loan at Dunfermline, more of a winger), Stuart McKinstry (made his debut for Leeds late last year, more of a winger), Dapo Mebude (Watford, on loan in League 1 at Wimbledon where he has played 12 times scored twice). Others kicking around who might be considered out better prospects but who didin't attend a PS are Glenn Middleton (Rangers, on loan at St Johnston, more of a winger), Aaron Pressley (Brentford, on loan at League 1 Wimbledon, played 19 times and scored twice), Ewan Urain (Bilbao B, plays regularly) and Kyle Joseph (Swansea, on loan in League 1 at Cheltenham where he has 19 appearances and 4 goals).

Nobody really stands out there (yet) as being in the class that the likes of Gilmour, Patterson and Ramsay are/will be. 

Thanks mate, that's a really useful round-up. As you say, no standouts yet, but at least a good number (7) with age and potential on their side

I was trying to think who the Stoke City striker was who came on against Moldova....not exactly long ago but still had to do a google search - Jacob Brown - doesnt  look like a great option really, - only 5 goals this season.

Incidentally Ewan Urain of Bilbao B - what a name.  Favourite band - Duran Duran?

Just now, DavidMcG said:

15 year old forward Archie Gray on the bench for Leeds today.

Hasn't been involved in any of the youth squads for Scotland yet - but given his dad, grandad and uncle all played for Scotland, you would like to think he might want to follow their path

I only know what I have read, which is hes an attacking midfielder. Whos played for England u16s already unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.2766766f24afda346727aa428db5adcd.png

Minutes and Games/Goal for January 2022. (Includes domestic cup matches)

Lyndon Dykes and Jacob Brown need to just keep doing what they're doing, same with Adams, although it would be nice to see him picking up a higher proportion of available minutes after recovering from Covid19. I've not watched him beyond highlights, but Kevin Nisbet seems to be the most likely to lose his place should another striker start banging them in come February.

I saw Lawrence Shankland got his 2nd goal in 2 games yesterday for Beerschot.   

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, Binos said:

I wonder if any of the clubs in our leagues or the performance schools will develop any good strikers at any point 

Farcical state of affairs 

It seems like there’s a near-permanent shortage of decent strikers at every level in Scottish football right now. Even in the Premiership, it’s a Ross County forward on 10 whose leading the charts.