Most famous person you've ever met

scottsdad

Daniel O'Donnell came to the care home I was working at to visit the old folk. He was gigging in Glasgow that night and he didn't have to come all the way out to EK to spend an hour chatting and singing with (mostly) demented old biddies. No entourage, and no press. He's just simply one of the kindest and genuinely warm hearted men I've met. All of us staff were in tears at the impact he was having. An absolute class act.

Others in the "guid cvnt" category include Katrina of Katrina and the Waves fame. My brother is a lifelong fan(and Eurovision obsessive.....he's autistic so it's a focussed passion) and we went to see her at a (pretty rubbish tbf) Eurovision concert in Blackpool. Asked to meet her afterwards and she couldn't have been nicer or more genuinely warm with him. My bro can be super intense and she just met it with unbridled joy and enthusiasm. Gorgeous person.

Bertie Auld is one of the most charismatic people I've ever met, John Lambie was a lovely, lovely man too.

I used to play 5's with Justin Currie of Del Amitri. Cracking lad. Barry Lavety too. He'd put on a fuckton of weight that was sad to see.

Years ago I drove taxis for a summer in St Andrews, and we got our fair share of celebs for the golf. My personal best was Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones. I thought my boss was taking the piss until they actually appeared off their plane.

On the way back to Dundee airport the next day they got stuck with me as the Tay bridge was closed due to high winds. He was mainly wandering about on his phone but she chatted away and seemed very nice and normal. Also she was an extremely attractive lady without all the Hollywood makeup. A nice experience for the 24 year old me.

When I worked in Yemen, on route home I stayed in the Sheraton Hotel in Sanaa for a night before my flight the next day. Sitting on the bar, away to order my dinner, an American guy came in and sat next to me, we got talking, he asked me why I was in Yemen and what I thought of the people, if I had any safety concerns and how I thought the country could be improved etc... He just said his name was Jeffrey and he worked in the American embassy. I noticed a group of American guys in suits, at another table that kept looking over, Jeffrey said that they worked with him at the embassy, I thought to myself, well that's odd, why is he not sitting with them?.

The next day, I didn't see Jeffrey at the airport. I thought that was strange cause he was meant to be on the same flight. 

When the flight arrived in Dubai, I was queuing up at customs, we were asked to step to the side as a guy was ushered quickly through customs, without having to go through any searches or checks, it was Jeffrey surrounded by his American colleagues wearing suits, ear pieces and sunglasses, he said 'Hello' on his way past.

Turns out this guy was Jeffrey Feltman, the Under Secretary General for the UN.

He obviously didn't listen to me, as not long after our conversation, Yemen turned to shit.

That reminded me of a guy I was crewing with on a London show. We thought he was a fantasist, said he was doing a phd in something to do with oil finance and the third world, and asked for a few days off as he was due to speak at the UN at New York. So for a laugh I looked into it and he was, not the General Assembly or anything, but a side committee or something. Manic drug fiend too.

Edited by welshbairn

Met various famous people at book signings but that doesn't really couny

Of those I've met;

Good guys:

Michael Bentine, really nice guy

Harry Secombe, nice guy as well

Mixu- good guy

George Wylie- not sure he's that famous but he has a clock at Buchanan Street. Interesting chap.

Had a job at the Scottish Parliament and met David Steel, Lord James Douglas-Hamilton, Robin Harper, Margo MacDonald, Tommy Sheridan and Denis Canavan. A wide political spectrum there but they were all nice. Big Margo was a good laugh. Tommy never invited me to any swingers parties though, the rotter.

Ian Hamilton QC. Good guy. Liked a drink...

I was visiting Chichester Cathedral and Bill Wyman came along (he had a concert in Chichester) with a couple of hangers on. Didn't want to disturb him but what I saw he seemed ok. I think he was trying to watch the kestrels nesting in the Cathedral tower.

Wanks

Lenny Henry. Grumpy p***k

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Tommy never invited me to any swingers parties though, the rotter.

If another man invites you to a swingers' party, I think you have to assume it's because he wants to pump your wife.

Hopefully Mrs tamthebam didn't take it too personally.

In 2005 I was at a friend's flat for a few drinks with approx 8-10 other people, about half of who I did not know.

I said I was going down to the shop to buy some drink and did anyone want any? (I arrived and said hello with the intention of buying drink immediately afterwards).

A then unknown Amy MacDonald asked for a bottle of wine and so I bought a bottle of Buckfast for her. Turns out she wanted 'real' wine.

Peter Andre in the flesh.

Seen someone else mention a call centre. I spoke to Richard Osman and Nigel Planer in my days working in one. Nigel Planer seemed genuinely surprised and happy I knew who he was when we got into conversation because I sounded so young. Both down to earth and very funny.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

Famous people I have met

Her Maj at her silver jubilee in Glasgow Cathedral in 1977
John Major at a private view in a gallery in Kensington in about 1993
Billy Connolly after a gig in the old Stag Hotel in Wishaw in about 1976
Jo Rowling at a dinner party shortly after we moved to Embra in 1999
Steve Davis - the snookerist - at a boxing evening in the old Cafe Royal around 1990
Clarkson and Schumacher having a fag behind the bike sheds at Silverstone in 1995
Gordon Ramsay with whom I went to the SC Final at Hampden in 1999
Linda - Oxo Mum - Bellingham who I tried to lumber after a performance of Gormenghast in Hammersmith
Virginia Bottomley - who I tried to lumber after the same private view that I met John Major.
Barbara Woodhouse - the famous dog woman - who did an event for Xerox  in the late 80s
Cherie Booth aka Blair who hosted an event in Lincoln's Inn  I was sponsoring in the mid 90s

Is it considered fair game to go off-script in a call centre if you think you've got a celebrity on the line?

Folk like Richard Osman must dread calling helpdesks and having to explain why they need, say, yet another replacement vacuum cleaner nozzle.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Is it considered fair game to go off-script in a call centre if you think you've got a celebrity on the line?

Folk like Richard Osman must dread calling helpdesks and having to explain why they need, say, yet another replacement vacuum cleaner nozzle.

My other half spoke to the guy that played The Cat on Red Dwarf, Danny John-Jules, in a call centre capacity

8 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Peter Andre in the flesh.

Seen someone else mention a call centre. I spoke to Richard Osman and Nigel Planer in my days working in one. Nigel Planer seemed genuinely surprised and happy I knew who he was when we got into conversation because I sounded so young. Both down to earth and very funny.

If we're counting talking on the phone, in my previous role at work  I spoke to Donna Air, Lisa Snowden and Honour Blackman. Also spoke  to a disgruntled David Baddiel who couldn't get his internet banking working.

Oh aye, and Mickaël Antoine-Curier 😍

32 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

If we're counting talking on the phone, in my previous role at work  I spoke to Donna Air, Lisa Snowden and Honour Blackman. Also spoke  to a disgruntled David Baddiel who couldn't get his internet banking working.

Oh aye, and Mickaël Antoine-Curier 😍

Topper Headon out The Clash, the one with the moustache out Frankie Goes to Hollywood, the milk lady from Open All Hours, Viv Stanshal, Clive something from Casualty.