Jobs you couldn't do

1 hour ago, 101 said:

The folk that look after the Queensferry crossing posted this video of folk cleaning the cables. It got me thinking there is no chance I could do that.

What job could you never do?

And did you learn you couldn't do it after you started doing it?

that's a bit higher than i was used to, but its not something i'd have an issue with.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

The folk that look after the Queensferry crossing posted this video of folk cleaning the cables. It got me thinking there is no chance I could do that.

What job could you never do?

And did you learn you couldn't do it after you started doing it?

I couldn't do the above and yes, the impact of soiling would be a factor....

TV show presenter or worse, quiz show host for some moronic bilge like pointless.

48 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Heights I could cope with. However, there are bound to be people who somehow pothole professionally, possibly to rescue other cavers who've got stuck in tunnels so narrow they can barely breathe, and just the thought of it brings on the panic response in me. I think I'd rather just be shot in the head than have to do that.

H8SIC9j.gif

Also, working in a pub/bar. I fucking hate having to deal with drunken arseholes. Bad enough working in an offie.

about thirty years ago I was in a job where a few of us were sent on a course at Ross On Wye - It was Leadership Trust.  There was an activities day and you had to rank the activities in order as not everyone could understandably go canoeing for example.  I put pot-holing last and was shocked when they said they wanted everyone to do the activity they least wanted to do. It was actually fantastic but a few of the others I can recall screaming with fear as they believed they were stuck. 

I could never do it now and absolutely believe I would have a panic attack .  I have had a few MRI scans on my back and if I ever need another one I am not so sure I could go through with it.

As for the question - sewage treatment plant worker....or one of those guys who goes into drains to clear fat bergs...or worse

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Heights I could cope with. However, there are bound to be people who somehow pothole professionally, possibly to rescue other cavers who've got stuck in tunnels so narrow they can barely breathe, and just the thought of it brings on the panic response in me. I think I'd rather just be shot in the head than have to do that.

H8SIC9j.gif

Also, working in a pub/bar. I fucking hate having to deal with drunken arseholes. Bad enough working in an offie.

Re: GIF  Check out Nutty Putty cave. Horrible way to go.

Undertaking! I didn't fully understand what it entailed until recently. When a corpse is moved for the first time, all the faecal matter is released from the body...they warned me not to watch, and I imagined it was because they thought it might be emotional. But the room stank so badly that I almost vomited. True story.

1 minute ago, G_&_T said:

Undertaking! I didn't fully understand what it entailed until recently. When a corpse is moved for the first time, all the faecal matter is released from the body...they warned me not to watch, and I imagined it was because they thought it might be emotional. But the room stank so badly that I almost vomited. True story.

That does sound vile, other than that I think it would be quite a fulfilling job.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I think I'd quite like owning a bar and working it if I ever won a substantial amount of dosh. I do like chatting to folk even if they're drunk. Would make sure the place I owned was relatively small tho so it didn't get too overwhelming. Working in a place like The Counting House by George Square looks murder when it's rammed (or really at any time).

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I think I'd quite like owning a bar and working it if I ever won a substantial amount of dosh. I do like chatting to folk even if they're drunk. Would make sure the place I owned was relatively small tho so it didn't get too overwhelming. Working in a place like The Counting House by George Square looks murder when it's rammed (or really at any time).

Also if you're the boss you can tell who you like to gtf being an employee would be far less fun.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Also if you're the boss you can tell who you like to gtf being an employee would be far less fun.

Depends on the place I suppose. There's a good few bars I can think of where they are content to let employees exercise their own discretion on who should be allowed to be served. Definitely not the norm though for sure. And the pay was still shite.