Jobs you couldn't do

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

I always feel I should be slipping places like B&q a few quid as the paint etc these stores sell is such shite that people inevitably make a terrible job of their home decor. 

It’s the creative side I like. Transforming the look of shops or homes and seeing how happy it makes folk. The peace is good during a job too. 

Where do you buy your paint, Shandon?

Just asking out of general curiousity... :whistle

On 04/09/2021 at 13:48, Thistle_do_nicely said:

ooooh, thats a good shout that. I think ive posted this before but it always strikes me as mad how shows like Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away! imply in the intro or in their advertising that you'll be watching the bailiffs grabbing stuff like brand new Audi's off peoples driveways for non-payment, but then you watch it and it's basically just a depressing half an hour of them kicking immigrants out of hovels for non-payment of rent.

It’s like when Benefits Street was on telly. And to some extent The Scheme, although some of the patter in that is fucking hilarious.

Let’s all laugh at those less fortunate/struggling. 

On 04/09/2021 at 12:48, Thistle_do_nicely said:

ooooh, thats a good shout that. I think ive posted this before but it always strikes me as mad how shows like Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away! imply in the intro or in their advertising that you'll be watching the bailiffs grabbing stuff like brand new Audi's off peoples driveways for non-payment, but then you watch it and it's basically just a depressing half an hour of them kicking immigrants out of hovels for non-payment of rent.

They should do a Caribbean special where people who avoid paying their taxes have their yachts confiscated, and their private planes and so on.

Happy to watch that.

8 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

They should do a Caribbean special where people who avoid paying their taxes have their yachts confiscated, and their private planes and so on.

Happy to watch that.

It would be great but it's not about to happen. Link below to a site bragging about what happened after the Panama Papers were released, but it's pathetic, can't think of a single Brit who's been done.

https://www.icij.org/investigations/panama-papers/what-happened-after-the-panama-papers/

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

TV Evangelist.  The money would be great but I couldn’t keep a straight face whilst knowingly fleecing the gullible c***s.

Give me an A-men.

At least you're only taking money off the gullible. Think of all those fundamentalist Islamic wankers who send young folk to be suicide bombers.

On 02/09/2021 at 21:35, Caledonian1 said:

about thirty years ago I was in a job where a few of us were sent on a course at Ross On Wye - It was Leadership Trust.  There was an activities day and you had to rank the activities in order as not everyone could understandably go canoeing for example.  I put pot-holing last and was shocked when they said they wanted everyone to do the activity they least wanted to do. It was actually fantastic but a few of the others I can recall screaming with fear as they believed they were stuck. 

I could never do it now and absolutely believe I would have a panic attack .  I have had a few MRI scans on my back and if I ever need another one I am not so sure I could go through with it.

As for the question - sewage treatment plant worker....or one of those guys who goes into drains to clear fat bergs...or worse

Being a plant worker is nowhere near as bad as it sounds (no, it’s not what I do) as the infrastructure and machinery does the majority of the work, and less than 0.1% of what arrives is solid jobby. 

As per the latter part of your last paragraph, those are the folk with the really horrible job. That said, either job you’d be PPE’d from head to toe and the confined spaces are probably the worst bit.

If it's football jobs, I'd say Director of Football. You get to meddle in the transfers and pretend you're playing FM without any of the coaching guff, and if it all goes pear shaped someone else gets the sack. Then you get to hire Peter Grant just to see the fans faces light up with joy.

On 03/09/2021 at 14:22, BFTD said:

I got halfway down the page. Nope, nope, nope nope nope.

I've never considered myself to be a claustrophobe, but the thought of squeezing through impossibly tight rock tunnels with no way of escape starts something screaming in my brain. The worst part is how happy and smiley they all look in the pictures they take. Lunatics.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/nutty-putty-cave

You would have hated caving as a scout at fordell firs. 

On 03/09/2021 at 09:05, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The easiest way to deal with having to deal with dead bodies is to either (and i know this sounds absolutely mental) talk to them or what I do, just dont think about it. 

We had a porter that used to talk to them when transporting them across to the morgue. Suppose whatever helps you deal with it mentally. When i first started, we used to wear a shirt and tie (now in polo shirts) but if i had the tie off, i always made sure i put it on to go and collect them, just as a little mark of respect and looking back it’s probably how i dealt with it as well. 

I know auxiliaries have been mentioned and their job I couldn't do, but staff nurse or ambulance/police/fire service are all ones I wouldn’t have the stomach for.