EPL loanees

So Morton have snapped up three players on loan from EPL clubs reserve sides on deadline day and everyone seems excited about it. Mostly this is due to their arrival meaning there is less chance of Robbie Muirhead playing but there always seems to be excitement when a player comes in from these clubs. From memory only Sinisalo at Ayr seemed like a success in recent years. There's definitely more chance of getting a Ruben Sammutt or Kazaiah Sterling than anyone who will actually make a career out of football. 

What's been the sketch at other clubs with their loanees? Alex Samuel is probably the closest we've had to a success and he already had a year of first team football in Wales before he arrived and he still only managed two league goals.

The Rovers had Timmy Abraham on loan from Fulham last year. Despite being linked with a move to Borussia Dortmund less than a year beforehand, he struggled for game time and was garbage when he did play. Always looked more likely to be booked than to score. 

I see he's already managed more minutes for Newport County this season than he did for us, and he's scored twice. 

We’ve got Reece Mcalear on loan from Norwich this season, who’s looked decent whenever I’ve seen him.

I’m sure Robbo mentioned he wasn’t a fan of the loan market as we would have to pay money anytime they didn’t play and were available. So we’ve not had many over the past few years. 

The only ones in the past 10 years I can think of are Bailly Cargill from Bournemouth who was average at best when we got relegated from the Premiership and is now at Forest Green and George Moncur from West Ham who we only played a couple of times and now is in the Championship with Hull.

Possibly Max Melbourne from West Brom too who was horrendous but not sure if they were in the Premiership or just relegated at that point.

3 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

The only ones in the past 10 years I can think of are Bailly Cargill from Bournemouth who was average at best when we got relegated from the Premiership and is now at Forest Green and George Moncur from West Ham who we only played a couple of times and now is in the Championship with Hull.

Possibly Max Melbourne from West Brom too who was horrendous but not sure if they were in the Premiership or just relegated at that point.

We also had that Henoc Mukendi boy on loan from Liverpool, who managed about 4 minutes in the league cup and I believe is now playing in the 11th tier of English football.

Pretty sure West Brom were in the championship when we had Melbourne. As you say, he was pish. 

As mentioned Timmy Abraham last season from Fulham - was shite. Like really shite. In fact I think our Chairman was on record saying he was hugely dissapointed in him and made him aware of that when his loan finished.

Harry Panayiotou came to us a while ago from Leicester (now at Livi) - had a bit of a cult status at us due to denying Rangers winning the league at Starks Park with a 94th minute equaliser having himself missed a penalty about a minute earlier. Apart from that he was also pretty poor overall. There was a genuine buzz when we signed him as at that stage a player coming to us from an EPL team just didn't happen. 

Charlie Taylor from Leeds was excellent for us and dived to win a last minute penalty for us against County in 2013.  Now a regular in the Barclays with Burnley.

Edit - Leeds weren't in the Barclays but i just wanted to mention his excellent dive.

Edited by TheScarf

18 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Ruben Sammut went to Falkirk from Chelsea Under 23s and was utterly horrific.

I still can’t get over how bad he was. I mean, to stand out as noticeably shite in a Falkirk team featuring guys like Dennon Lewis and Dylan Mackin is something else.

I’m sure he managed to get a contract at Sunderland afterwards as well, which is equally ridiculous.

Not sure we've had many in the way of 'Premiership' loanees. Kyle Cameron, centre back, from Newcastle United about 3 years ago maybe. Wasn't awful, wasn't very good. Wasn't a regular. Released by Newcastle at the end of his loan with us and joined Torquay United. Has recently moved to Notts County.

Can't think of any others. We've got Sol Brynn from Middlesbrough at the moment and had Izzy Jones last year but they are Championship. Also Aidan Fitzpatrick from Norwich last year but they were on a one year sojourn to the Championship at the time too. Callum Semple from Sheffield United 3 years ago but also a Championship team at the time.

53 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Reece Cole I think was a loan signing

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure we've had many in the way of 'Premiership' loanees. Kyle Cameron, centre back, from Newcastle United about 3 years ago maybe. Wasn't awful, wasn't very good. Wasn't a regular. Released by Newcastle at the end of his loan with us and joined Torquay United. Has recently moved to Notts County.

Can't think of any others. We've got Sol Brynn from Middlesbrough at the moment and had Izzy Jones last year but they are Championship. Also Aidan Fitzpatrick from Norwich last year but they were on a one year sojourn to the Championship at the time too. Callum Semple from Sheffield United 3 years ago but also a Championship team at the time.

We're going back about 35 years here so pre-EPL, but I remember Barney Davidson getting injured and we only had a 16 year old as back-up keeper (Colin Coltart).  With no time to sign emergency cover Coltart played once (and played well by all accounts) before Mike Jackson brought Alex Williams in on loan from Man City as he felt that Coltart wasn't ready for first team football.  Williams had been ever present for 2 seasons in the City first team but had lost his place the season before joining us so looked to be an excellent signing on paper, but if I recall he let in a barrowload of goals during his spell at Queens and there was a general sense of relief when Barney returned to the team.

Hopefully history is not repeating itself, as this season our first choice keeper is crocked, we only have a 16 year old back-up keeper and have loaned in a keeper from an upper level English club who has had a pretty shaky start to his career at QOS...

Edited by Slipmat