9/11 Memories

scottsdad

14 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I knew a couple of ex Japanese PoWs. They never talked about it either.

Also a couple of men who were at Dunkirk. Similar.

I knew a guy, ex navy, who claimed to have been on Hms Sheffield and later the Herald of Free Enterprise when they sank. Never shut up about it. He was known locally as Uncle Albert. 

Was working in the house of a pair of retired doctors. The wifie kept giving us updates but never asked us to view it on their telly. Got home, switched on my telly just as the second tower dropped.

when you think about it, there is a generation of almost 20 year olds that were not even born when it happened. Much the same as when Diana died and even more so when John Lennon or Elvis died.

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

I knew a guy, ex navy, who claimed to have been on Hms Sheffield and later the Herald of Free Enterprise when they sank. Never shut up about it. He was known locally as Uncle Albert. 

I had an uncle who was a submariner during the war and another in the merchant navy. Neither of them were called Albert and neither of them talked about their war experiences.

6 hours ago, supermik said:

Was working in the house of a pair of retired doctors. The wifie kept giving us updates but never asked us to view it on their telly. Got home, switched on my telly just as the second tower dropped.

when you think about it, there is a generation of almost 20 year olds that were not even born when it happened. Much the same as when Diana died and even more so when John Lennon or Elvis died.

There are people who weren’t born when literally every event in history occurred. Mental, eh?

6 hours ago, supermik said:

When you think about it, there is a generation of almost 20 year olds that were not even born when it happened. Much the same as when Diana died and even more so when John Lennon or Elvis died.

Dianna died just as I emerged into the world, clearly there wasn't room for us both. Maybe ill meet my maker in a tunnel ;)

2001 was ages ago go back another 20 years again and it's the 80s which is modern history.

Was on a aeroplane on my way from Glasgow to Amsterdam for my first trip away with a girlfriend as an 18 year old.

There was absolutely no mention of it in Schipol and we just got to our hotel, dumped our bags and went straight out.  Didn't realise anything had happened until in a cafe the morning of the 12th.

The security for the flight back 3 days later was fun.

I was at RAF Cosford on a training course that day in the Airframes training hangar. The crew room was just packed with everyone watching it on a 28" CRT TV not knowing what was going on.

The alert state went up and only those who lived off base were allowed to go home. The station guard was increased and the bars closed that evening. It was very quiet, almost eerie walking round the base that night.

Edited by statts1976uk

I was teaching at Wick High School and my memory of it was it was after lunch and I’d just gone to make a cup of tea in the staff room and someone said there was “ a plane crash in America”
Didn’t get the full extent until I got home.

I had relocated to The Netherlands, I'd been there about a month and was working in a factory, my colleagues in the department were mostly Moroccan and Turkish, at the end of my shift I was cleaning up when a large crowd gathered round the radio, it all went very quiet as everyone listened to the newsflash, there were audible cheers from some of the Moroccan and Turkish guys, I asked a Dutch colleague what was happening as my Dutch was non existent at the time, got home and started watching the news, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

There was a very strange atmosphere in the factory, there had always been a bit of a division between the Muslim employees and the Dutch / other European's but after 9/11 the gap was even wider, some of the Muslim guys were visibly delighted about what had happened.

It was all rather surreal.

Edited by stevieKTID

I was working in an office in Glasgow. The day began like many a Tuesday; a roll from Greggs and a can of Coca Cola. Little did I know as I supped my carbonated beverage and chomped my way through bread and pork that the little world I knew was about to change forever. 

Lunchtime came, and, swiftly as a soft scented breeze in the summertime, it passed into memory.

Working away that afternoon it soon became apparent something was different. I came back from my third toilet trip of the afternoon to find everyone huddled around one PC in the corner. All the other computers that we used had basic email but didn’t have internet browsers installed. Up until this point if you wanted to use the internet for work purposes you had to book the PC in the corner. 

We watched the unfolding horror for an hour or so before everyone left. Some of us were supposed to be going to a college class after work but instead we went to The Auctioneers and watched the towers come down. Went home about 9pm, half cut and shocked.

Edited by Thorongil

I remember getting him from school. I would’ve been P6, usually I’d be made to do homework before getting to watch television. However this time I came in and got told to put the telly on, thinking this was the signal to put Cartoon Network on I stuck it on and got angry with my mum when she wrestled the remote out of my hand and made me watch the coverage of it.

Next day in school our teacher explained what happened in as much detail as I’d imagine a teacher could explain to a class of 10-11 year olds.