9/11 Memories

scottsdad

3 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Was at p.e at school when one of the teachers told us what was happening  .

Visited ground zero fww years ago .its the most eerie place I've ever been .

I didn’t exactly visit but the tube from Newark ends there, so I went past. 

The eeriness of the big crater (and it was massive) was lightened up by all the Japanese tourists doing big cheesy grins and peace signs for their photos in front of it.

11 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

i was standing naked next to Derek Ferguson       {genuinely 100% true}

Reveal hidden contents

in the changing room of Esporta health club in Hamilton......i believe its now a David Lloyd Gym

Miniature twin towers

Went to see East Fife play Arbroath in the League Cup that night at Bayview. 

The evacuate the stadium message came on during the second half and went on for a good 15 minutes. 

"BEEP BEEP BEEP This is an emergency, please evacuate the stadium BEEP BEEP BEEP" 

This was roundly ignored by all present. 

We won 1-0 thanks to a Paul McManus goal. 

Being a student at the time, naturally I was sat outside a boozer in Edinburgh’s Grassmarket having a bar-lunch when a friend rang one of my friend’s mobile shrieking to get the telly on because America was under attack. We finished lunch then jumped in my mates car and we went back to my mate’s house who’s initially phoned and basically spent the entire day watching it all unfold on tv and getting very stoned.

I was in P7, and we were not told at any point in the day. Went to after school football practice, then hopped into the car with my Mum. She just turned to me and said very sadly about what happened. I honestly had no idea what the Twin Towers were, and remember feeling very confused, before she got more and more irate saying I must know what they were, and that my Grandparents had been up to the top for a photo the other year. Got home and just watched it on TV. 

Mad to think it is 20 years ago, and the only thing I really remember about it (or the aftermath) was that "Hey Mr Taliban" song on a website that just had loads of stupid videos.  

58 minutes ago, Lex said:

Remember seeing it on the TV after school at my grans and thinking it was some kind of disaster movie for a couple of minutes before realising it was real life.
Was a good documentary on the Beeb last night about it ‘Inside the Presidents War Room’. Bush gets interviewed and I think he comes across fairly well on it. Will be on the iplayer I’m sure.

I watched that too,  was excellent.  Bush seemed fairly 'normal' if you get me.  

2 hours ago, 101 said:

f**k all, although my dad was working away and told my mum to turn the TV on as the news of some mad Suadis flying into a skyscraper hadn't reached us in Lerwick yet.

First heard about it whilst playing pool at the Fisherman’s Mission in Lerwick.

Could be speaking absolute rubbish here but around the ten year anniversary seem to remember discussions that anyone in the UK who saw the second plane hitting live on BBC or ITV was actually misremembering, it wasn’t shown live on UK tv.

The incredible thing was how much damage a couple of dozen suicidal nihilists could do with a budget of maybe $50,000 including per diems and training, compared to the US's much vaunted "Shock and Awe" displays costing billions.

I had moved down to London 3 days earlier with my (then) fiancee and I was still looking for a job.  She called me into the living room of our flat and told me that a plane had crashed into the WTC.  Like others above, we assumed it was a light aircraft until we saw the second crash, then it was obvious what was happening.  We were in the Heathrow flight stack and every time we could see or hear a plane we were shitting ourselves that it was going to crash into us.

Her cousin and his wife both worked in the WTC but so happened to be on holiday in South Africa at the time.  Every single colleague in her cousin's department died. 

A genuine 'could have been me'.  'Could have been my fiancee's cousin' anyway.