9/11 Memories

scottsdad

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I hope your unique bereavement therapy method was appreciated.

8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Can just imagine it -

Sarge - "Information is a bit unclear at the moment, best to assume your husband is deid and you might get a nice wee surprise later.  Cheerybye now."

"Is there anything else I can help you with...

I was in Falkirk at my lunatic ex's house. We were meant to be playing someone that night, possibly Forfar, in the challenge cup or league cup. I worked for a newspaper at the time and I just knew I was going to be called in. was going to dingy the phone but would have been shite on the other guys and so it came to pass my phone went around the time the first tower fell and I was in that night. Meant I saw the whole thing, all day and all through the night. Surreal.

She fell out with me as well because I couldn't go to the game so I got a few days' peace afterwards which was a bonus.

Everyone was talking about it. I can't remember why but I was on the phone to Orange who were my mobile provider at the time about something and even the boy I was speaking to was saying are you watching the news, it's mental eh?

Can't believe it's been 20 years.

6 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Weirdest thing is that when I recall it, I remember it as being in the morning our time rather than lunchtime - probably just seen the timings written down so many times that I've convinced myself that's when it happened our time.

This is exactly what happened to me. I used to tell the story as if it happened about 10am. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that someone (could even have been someone on here) pointed out it would have been later on.

10 minutes ago, Rugster said:

We were meant to be playing someone that night, possibly Forfar, in the challenge cup or league cup.

Pretty sure it was Forfar in the cup aye. I was meant to be going.

I remember walking home from school and one of the boys dad was a postie, he stopped to tell us about it. Went home and was on the tv, remember the weekend we went to Bankies vs Alloa and a photographer from the Sunday Mail asked a couple of the kid bankies fans to pose with an american flag that one of the boys brought, i dingied it but my brother was on the back page of the sunday mail. 

For me the absolute take away from all of this is that the saudi’s got away not even scot free but with even more weapons sales and not a single thing done about them, yet we bombed afghan back to the stone age. 

My mum's 49th birthday. I was in 5th year in school and in English just after lunch when my brother, who was about to go to Uni, text me saying 'the Twin towers have collapsed'.

I thought to myself 'what to heck are the Twin Towers?'

As I cycled home I heard these wee kids shouting that the world was ending etc and I was highly confused.  Bolted home as fast as I could and my mum met me outside and said 'come and see this'.

Spent the night eating birthday cake with 1 bottle of Miller, it was my 16th on that coming Friday, watching planes fly into buildings.

My abiding memory however is this; the flight path to Inverness Airport went right over my house, and I swear to fuck the plane I heard going over my house that night was louder than ever before and that it was flying literally right over my house.

Edited by TheScarf

The first time we were ever allowed to put a radio on at work (clandestine ear piece for WC etc had been the norm up to that day) and I can still remember nearly everything about that day including what we had for dinner which is amazing given I currently struggle to remember what I did last Christmas !

20 years! Jesus, where did it go? I was working in Fopp in Cockburn Street. Went out for my lunch which was as always a pint in the Arcade Bar across the road. Was just taking the first sip of my Best when the second plane hit on the crappy wee tv above the bar. Got home that night and like most other people, watched tv for hours and hours in utter disbelief. 

The head teacher in my primary school came into our classroom to tell us and we saw it on the news when we got home.

Beyond that I don’t actually remember it very well. I remember watching the coverage for the 2000 US election better.

Remember seeing it on the TV after school at my grans and thinking it was some kind of disaster movie for a couple of minutes before realising it was real life.
Was a good documentary on the Beeb last night about it ‘Inside the Presidents War Room’. Bush gets interviewed and I think he comes across fairly well on it. Will be on the iplayer I’m sure.

Was sat in uni feeling like shite. Had been at the doctors early in the day and went into uni on the way home to tell someone I'd not be bothering with it for the week. Stopped briefly in the computer room ( :lol: ) and read on the then-fledgling BBC News website about a plane that had hit the World Trade Center. I think it was made out to be a biplane or something small, but as my insides were trying to get out of me I decided this would maybe be worth seeing on TV so abandoned uni for the day (essentially, the week) and went back to the flat, which was only a short walk. Got in to find the two flatmates sat watching the BBC News just as the second plane appeared in the sky. Think there's still a VHS copy of the days events somewhere in the house. 

Don't think I actually moved much for the next three days, other than to head out for food occasionally. Distinctly remember the Question Time episode that was on in the days that followed when the American ambassador got a fucking roasting from the audience, along the lines of 'you've have had this coming for a while' and thinking it most unlike the show to let that happen. 

“40 Wall Street actually was the second-tallest building in downtown Manhattan, and it was actually, before the World Trade Center, was the tallest — and then, when they built the World Trade Center, it became known as the second tallest,” Trump said in the WWOR interview. “And now it’s the tallest.”

1st real day as an apprentice (The Monday was an induction). Out in the van with a guy called Cliff who had The Prodigy on his tape player. Didn't hear anything till I got home that day when my mum mentioned it. Went on the supporters bus that night to Airdrie and seen Morton get pumped 3-0.