Businesses no longer accepting cash

7 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Aye? How do you do that? Upload a photo? Is there a bit of their app. I'll have to investigate if either of my apps have that facility.

Take a photo of the front and back of the cheque when prompted by your app.  Used it a few times.  Once had a problem where it didn’t like the photos so had to take the thing to a branch anyway but generally works OK.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just seen my bank RBS does that, haven't tried the app before..

Aye, jsut checked the RBS app. Max £500 but you can do it. Very rarely get a cheque but the wife got one recently from Aberdeen Standard. She had to go down to the ATM to pay it in. Again no hassle because we have a bank in the high street. Not everyone does.

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

Aye, jsut checked the RBS app. Max £500 but you can do it. Very rarely get a cheque but the wife got one recently from Aberdeen Standard. She had to go down to the ATM to pay it in. Again no hassle because we have a bank in the high street. Not everyone does.

I've got a bad habit of forgetting to bank small cheques until they're out of date, so I'll definitely try the app out.

46 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Don't get me started on cheques, absolutely no need for them in today's society and they should've been binned about twenty years ago but you still have wee old wifies who insist on paying their window cleaner his £3.50 a week by cheque. I''d be telling them to bolt 

Don't get many tourists from Czechia nowadays.  For some reason, they feel unwelcome.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

image.png.56bb5d033e1e12c7ca32df441f9a2e25.png

Aye?

I'm originally from Inverkeithing so I know how backward Fife is. 😉

Like @Günther I have a wife and she’s like my general carer, secretary and minister of finance. I just make the money and she spends it mostly on soft furnishings and clothes. 

28 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Like @Günther I have a wife and she’s like my general carer, secretary and minister of finance. I just make the money and she spends it mostly on soft furnishings and clothes. 

Gunther has a wife? He should have said...

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

You obviously know what I was thinking as soon as I saw the words chicken supper.

Yet I thought better of posting it. That's the cancel culture for you. 😇

So did I...

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

She has far more ‘exotic’ tastes than that.  Some are simply bizarre.

There are more banknotes in circulation than ever before:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/399102/banknotes-circulation-pounds-number-united-kingdom-uk/

Yet nearly 25% of them are ‘unaccounted for’:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/bank-of-england-told-to-find-out-where-missing-50bn-in-cash-is-stashed-12150622

Short version? People, in view of the pitiful interest rates available at the banks, are stashing physical money at home. 

Time for a career change methinks…

20 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

There are more banknotes in circulation than ever before:

Yet nearly 25% of them are ‘unaccounted for’

Short version? People, in view of the pitiful interest rates available at the banks, are stashing physical money at home. 

Time for a career change methinks…

Going by some of the posts on hear any owners of Chinese takeaways better beef up there house security and alarm system rapid. 

But you already know that before you go, surely?
I come back to the basic point that if you're carrying  a wallet, a phone and a bank card surely to f**k you can squeeze in a tenner or twenty note just in case.  It won't self-destruct in 12 hours.  
I know now that these takeaways don't take cash but when places opened up again after lockdown and pretty much everywhere was only taking cards I did get caught out a few times. I generally have a bit of cash but it wasn't enough to cover the cost of a takeaway for the family - no great problem and I went to a nearby cash machine.

I mostly use cards nowadays but as I said, I more find it a problem when I run out of coins and fivers for tips in bars and restaurants whereas I normally have a pocketful of smash when using cash in the pub.

On 31/08/2021 at 21:27, MONKMAN said:

Always carry cash. Find it bizarre that people are shocked when they stumble upon a business, that still uses a system whereby goods are exchanged for money. It’s only been the main method of global trade, for thousands of years. 

Also, my favourite pub in Dumfries would laugh you out the door if you tried to pay by card. 

I have a fondness for cash in pubs, but being honest about it, it is backwards now. Paying by card is faster, and the gripe from cash-enthusiasts for years was that card payments involved folk fannying about at the bar and causing a hold-up. Well now, if that was such a hassle, surely we should be encouraging the fastest-possible transaction with card.
People have believed in a variety of religions for thousands of years. Doesn't mean it's not absolute nonsense. And folk in Dumfries are only grudgingly using cash and not bartering sheafs of corn for services, so let's not use them as a standard.

On 31/08/2021 at 23:52, invergowrie arab said:

Bet all these pubs that are cash only do a smashing pint of 70 

I never trusted folk that ordered 70/-. Most pubs that used to have it on tap would also have 80/-, a more gentlemanly endeavour.