Businesses no longer accepting cash

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I know a plumber who'll come round and change a tap or whatever when he finishes work, usually for £20 or so. Why would he want the hassle of taking a cheque and having to queue up at the bank to pay it in? If I was him I'd double it to £40 odd.

Doing that is standard, I more meant folk who fit an entire bathroom for cash. Doubt you could live without a bank account doing £20 homers.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I know a plumber who'll come round and change a tap or whatever when he finishes work, usually for £20 or so. Why would he want the hassle of taking a cheque and having to queue up at the bank to pay it in? If I was him I'd double it to £40 odd.

Don't get me started on cheques, absolutely no need for them in today's society and they should've been binned about twenty years ago but you still have wee old wifies who insist on paying their window cleaner his £3.50 a week by cheque. I''d be telling them to bolt 

27 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I guess the card + cash brigade amongst us will never really understand the idea that some folk are unable to plan for an event that isn't necessarily that rare and can cause hassle we don't need and can so easily avoid by stuffing a few notes in our pocket. 

Got better things to do and think about.

Just now, Thorongil said:

Got better things to do and think about.

A compelling argument right enough.   It takes me all of no time to make sure I have cash with me at all times as it's in my wallet along with my various cards,  

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

A compelling argument right enough.   It takes me all of no time to make sure I have cash with me at all times as it's in my wallet along with my various cards,  

Some people are busy and have expectations of the modern world. If I encounter a troglodyte business requiring cash payment I will go and get cash whilst making a mental note not to use that business again. I'm not then going out of my way to lift more cash and carry it around for weeks or months just in case. 

1 minute ago, Thorongil said:

Some people are busy and have expectations of the modern world. If I encounter a troglodyte business requiring cash payment I will go and get cash whilst making a mental note not to use that business again. I'm not then going out of my way to lift more cash and carry it around for weeks or months just in case. 

We don't live in a cashless society however much you would like to think we do. Live with it and get a few tenners in your wallet - you know it makes sense.

45 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I didn't know that the first time it happened when I was at Piperdam at the end of the first lockdown and phoned a chinese one night. We'd gone over half a year being told that every place was card only so naturally didn't bother with cash. I had to nip to the ATM so no big drama, just surprise.

I don't carry a wallet because I have my phone and cards together. If you stick a lot of cash in the phone cover it gets hard to close. Just a 20 quid note is fine but 20 quid doesn't go very far.

It goes a long way if you're paying everything by card...

Don't get me started on cheques, absolutely no need for them in today's society and they should've been binned about twenty years ago but you still have wee old wifies who insist on paying their window cleaner his £3.50 a week by cheque. I''d be telling them to bolt 
Some banks let you pay in cheques online.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It goes a long way if you're paying everything by card...

True but I was thinking specifically about the first time I paid with cash for the Chinese. There were 6 of us and my brother is a fat greedy b*****d so the takeaway was far more than 20 quid.

32 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What if they ask for a large mixed kebab or something equally expensive, do you give them a limit?

When I was a volunteer with the Samaritans we were allowed to buy clients food - a takeaway from the chip shop - (can't remember whether we got reimbursed or not, I think there was a petty cash box you could raid), and this time I took the client in, thinking it'll be a sausage supper or such like.

No, the most expensive item on the menu - a chicken supper.

2 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
19 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Yeh the moneys usually quicker going in to your account As well  than going in and cashing it ,but if anyone offers me a Gregory even on the car lot I usually refuse . 

4 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
21 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Aye? How do you do that? Upload a photo? Is there a bit of their app. I'll have to investigate if either of my apps have that facility.

When I lived in Canada (which was up until the turn of the year) I'd get paid by cheque. Not so bad as I could cash it in via my banking app, but some of my more useless colleagues would be given days off here and there when there wasn't enough work, often meaning they'd have to travel to site to pick up their cheque (which could frequently be up to a 3 hour total commute in some cases), go to a bank, cash it and then wait for 5 days until it cleared. Madness.

5 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Aye? How do you do that? Upload a photo? Is there a bit of their app. I'll have to investigate if either of my apps have that facility.

Just seen my bank RBS does that, haven't tried the app before..

It's a way to pay in cheques using your mobile device. The app uses your device camera to capture an image of the cheque and 'reads' the details to pay the money into your account. It's simple, convenient and secure - and can save you a trip to a branch.