Businesses no longer accepting cash

1 minute ago, Arthur daley said:

Hopefully not charged £1.80 or what ever the price the chancers want to charge for taking your cash out . 

Of the 8 dispensers in our local town, 6 are free and 2 charge you.

The 2 that charge have free ones in the same establishment.

The village shop just up the road charges, that's why I never use their cash dispenser.

You can get money out of the post office free of charge.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

The village shop just up the road charges, that's why I never use their cash dispenser.

That’s actually pretty good 👍 

1 minute ago, Arthur daley said:

That’s actually pretty good 👍 

What I could never understand is why anybody used the 2 that charge you when there are free ones within a minutes walk in the same shop.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

We have to in our village,one charges but the other is free.If the one that is free is out of order you can go into the shop and get cash back from the Post Office.

9 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

My Mrs worked in a Chinese when she was at school. Paid in cash, no such thing as a payslip or a p60. Wonder how these folk get away with jt.

There were owners of Chinese takeaways in Edinburgh who paid for their children's school fees in cash.

50 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

"Cash only" is my favourite hidden in plain sight tax dodge of the modern era

It's offshore banking for the proletariat and the only means of earning for those the authorities don't take a shine to, currently asylum seekers. 

Edited by welshbairn

Option should be there for both. Any place that has “cash only” in the window gets a swerve from me.

Had one a while back on my way to work. Went into a roll shop, no sign on the window about being cash only, ordered my roll and coffee and was standing holding my bank card whilst waiting. Gets to transaction time and they tell me it’s cash only. Told there’s a cash machine outside up the street which is annoying enough, but I go out to it and it’s one that charges £1.99. Walk back in and they tell me the next closest one is a 10-15 minute walk away. Had to just leave the shop.

53 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Like I say the place usually take cards.

The Lobster Shack in Crail only takes cash all the time.  The people who run it are not Chinese.

I meant Chinese takeaways. Every time I've had one they've said cash only. And once in a chipper in Moffat.

Always carry cash. Find it bizarre that people are shocked when they stumble upon a business, that still uses a system whereby goods are exchanged for money. It’s only been the main method of global trade, for thousands of years. 

Also, my favourite pub in Dumfries would laugh you out the door if you tried to pay by card. 

Eat Out to Help Out last summer required the restaurants to register with HMRC. HMRC published the list of participating restaurants. There was not a single Chinese Restaurant within a 5 mile radius of Stirling city centre listed as participating.

Maybe allowing HMRC access to a 4 week window of how they trade wasn’t really worth it for them. #jussayin

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Don't have a major problem if it's made clear up front on entrance to the establishment.

Pain in the arse when cash is presented and they tell you 'but we thought you knew..........'

To know these things in advance would be helpful, so folks I'll start you off with...........

Brel in Ashton Lane, Glasgow.

I think it’s a good thing. Businesses accepting cash should be optional for them but all businesses should be forced by law to accept card and contactless payments.

There were owners of Chinese takeaways in Edinburgh who paid for their children's school fees in cash.
One of my first jobs was in a cashiers office that collected the old rates (pre poll tax). Chinese would frequently come in and pay cash and often their cash would be coinage. Total PITA.

10 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Eat Out to Help Out last summer required the restaurants to register with HMRC. HMRC published the list of participating restaurants. There was not a single Chinese Restaurant within a 5 mile radius of Stirling city centre listed as participating.

Maybe allowing HMRC access to a 4 week window of how they trade wasn’t really worth it for them. #jussayin

Beefeater in Inverness didn't play either. #jussayin

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Always carry cash. Find it bizarre that people are shocked when they stumble upon a business, that still uses a system whereby goods are exchanged for money. It’s only been the main method of global trade, for thousands of years. 

Also, my favourite pub in Dumfries would laugh you out the door if you tried to pay by card. 

I already love this pub.

Grown ups not carrying cash is really weird and definitely OFTW

Edited by Gaz FFC