A Clan V Clan Scottish Trophy.

I think a cool idea for a football trophy in Scotland would be clan v clan matches.

We all know the history of Scotland with clans as a vital part of our history and identity.

We know of famous clans like the Clan Campbell, Clan Smith, Clan Macpherson, Clan Sinclair, Clan Mackenzie, Clan MacDonald, Clan Ferguson, Clan Anderson, Clan Douglas, Clan Wallace, Clan MacNab, Clan MacLean and Clan MacLeod.

Well my idea would be a football trophy between the different clans of Scotland.

It could be held at the same location, or like a Scottish FA Cup, or European Champions League.

Teams could be drawn at home and away in a knockout trophy or league trophy.

I would not want this idea to support racism. So people of any race could play for the clan sides.

People could qualify for sides by surname, even if it means looking back many generations to find a family link to the surname. Like they have the grandparent rule in international soccer.  

So if you looked back 5 generations, and found a ancestor who was  a Ferguson you could play for the Ferguson side.

It would be a interesting trophy.

In New Zealand they have the New Zealand Maori rugby union side. And people can qualify due to distant family connections.

My idea would be for clan teams to play each other. It could be a fun trophy, playing on a major part of the Scottish identity.

There could be other sports trophies like this in other nations where there are tribes or family groups, like the USA, Poland, China or India. Also other sports could try this such as shinty, hurling, Gaelic football, motor racing, rugby union, golf, bowling, volleyball, Highland Games, penalty shootout trophies, basketball, snooker, darts, athletics and other sports.

This would be a fun trophy to have.

It could be supported by major companies, governments, sports organisations.

I think names for the trophy could be like the CLAN V CLAN SOCCER CUP.

Games could be played at Hampden, Murrayfield, Celtic Park, Ibrox, Dens Park, Pittodrie or any other Scottish stadia.

What does everyone think of this crazy idea?  

Edited by Thistle Scotland Europe

42 minutes ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

I think a cool idea for a football trophy in Scotland would be clan v clan matches.

We all know the history of Scotland with clans as a vital part of our history and identity.

We know of famous clans like the Clan Campbell, Clan Smith, Clan Macpherson, Clan Sinclair, Clan Mackenzie, Clan MacDonald, Clan Ferguson, Clan Anderson, Clan Douglas, Clan Wallace, Clan MacNab, Clan MacLean and Clan MacLeod.

Well my idea would be a football trophy between the different clans of Scotland.

It could be held at the same location, or like a Scottish FA Cup, or European Champions League.

Teams could be drawn at home and away in a knockout trophy or league trophy.

I would not want this idea to support racism. So people of any race could play for the clan sides.

People could qualify for sides by surname, even if it means looking back many generations to find a family link to the surname. Like they have the grandparent rule in international soccer.  

So if you looked back 5 generations, and found a ancestor who was  a Ferguson you could play for the Ferguson side.

It would be a interesting trophy.

In New Zealand they have the New Zealand Maori rugby union side. And people can qualify due to distant family connections.

My idea would be for clan teams to play each other. It could be a fun trophy, playing on a major part of the Scottish identity.

There could be other sports trophies like this in other nations where there are tribes or family groups, like the USA, Poland, China or India. Also other sports could try this such as shinty, hurling, Gaelic football, motor racing, rugby union, golf, bowling, volleyball, Highland Games, penalty shootout trophies, basketball, snooker, darts, athletics and other sports.

This would be a fun trophy to have.

It could be supported by major companies, governments, sports organisations.

I think names for the trophy could be like the CLAN V CLAN SOCCER CUP.

Games could be played at Hampden, Murrayfield, Celtic Park, Ibrox, Dens Park, Pittodrie or any other Scottish stadia.

What does everyone think of this crazy idea?  

This

The problems of the Clan v Clan Cup;

1) What happens when someone of one surname is selected to play for a team because he has distant ancestors from that clan, but is playing against a team with his own surname?

So for instance imagine a MacLeod is selected for the MacDonald Clan side then they play the MacLeod Clan. Imagine the confusion from the commentator. ‘And MacLeod passes to MacDonald who passes to MacLeod. And MacLeod scores against MacLeod for MacDonald. The confusion would mount.  

2) What if 7 or eight of the players all have the same surname?

How would you differentiate quickly between the players in a fast action match?

3) Where would the games be played?

4) Would the trophy whip up tribal division in Scotland?

------

For note;

The Clans of Robertson, Thomson, Smith and Wilson have tended to have produced the most internationals for Scotland, so would historically be the strongest.

I think the Ferguson clan would be the strongest in terms of management.

Edited by Thistle Scotland Europe

Probably your nearest example would be on Orkney where the principal tournament is parish v parish.

Although not directly comparable the Carterhaugh Ba Game held on 4th December 1815 - organised by Sir Walter Scott - was the Duke of Buccleuch's men v Selkirk & Yarrow.

Hundred per side, finished 1-1 draw, attendance 2000.

Duns still has its ba game but arranged 'Married Men v Batchelors' (sadly recently amended 'Over 30s' v 'Under 30s'). Jedburgh, Hobkirk and Kirkwall similarly but they're 'Uppies v Downies'.

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/09/2021 at 18:00, Richey Edwards said:

I think we should take this a step further and let every street in Scotland have it's own football team.

Great western road and Ferry road look like strong contenders but with 16 rounds to reach the final it could be anybody’s