RIP Iron Horse - Where to now?

Gary Malcolm

Weve been regulars at the Iron Horse for a drink before games for 15 years now and, like most of us, this will be our first trip through for a match since its closure. Im after a few suggestions of places to go for a pint pre-game nowadays, and any info on whether tickets need purchased in advance (not sure what restrictions will be in place) would be hugely appreciated!

10 hours ago, Gary Malcolm said:

Weve been regulars at the Iron Horse for a drink before games for 15 years now and, like most of us, this will be our first trip through for a match since its closure. Im after a few suggestions of places to go for a pint pre-game nowadays, and any info on whether tickets need purchased in advance (not sure what restrictions will be in place) would be hugely appreciated!

Lauders, Auctioneers, Maltman all decent but know that there's been staffing issues around many of the City Centre pubs but hopefully they'll all be open and ready for action !!

I'm looking to have a few drinks before heading to the game.

Pubs around Hampden are always busy, it's a pain in the neck getting the train from the city centre to Mount Florida shortly before k.o. and it's too long by public transport from the West End.

I was actually thinking about heading to Neilston (a place I've never been before), having a few hours in a quietish pub then getting an empty train the 15 mins to Mount Florida.

I'm not concerned about Covid. I just want some peace and quiet! Is this an excellent plan or a terrible one?

4 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I'm looking to have a few drinks before heading to the game.

Pubs around Hampden are always busy, it's a pain in the neck getting the train from the city centre to Mount Florida shortly before k.o. and it's too long by public transport from the West End.

I was actually thinking about heading to Neilston (a place I've never been before), having a few hours in a quietish pub then getting an empty train the 15 mins to Mount Florida.

I'm not concerned about Covid. I just want some peace and quiet! Is this an excellent plan or a terrible one?

On that line, I know there's a couple of pubs in Neilston near (ish) the train station, at my stop at Patterton you've got a horrible Hungry Horse place and a half decent place called Zyka at Greenlaw Village which are a 10 min or so walk from the station, then at Williamwood you've got the Redhurst Hotel that has a pretty good bar.  Any stations closer and you're probably getting close enough to Hampden for it not to be worth it.

edit: There's a Beefeater at Patterton as well with a bar, but I wouldn't think that's what you're looking for.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

On that line, I know there's a couple of pubs in Neilston near (ish) the train station, at my stop at Patterton you've got a horrible Hungry Horse place and a half decent place called Zyka at Greenlaw Village which are a 10 min or so walk from the station, then at Williamwood you've got the Redhurst Hotel that has a pretty good bar.  Any stations closer and you're probably getting close enough to Hampden for it not to be worth it.

edit: There's a Beefeater at Patterton as well with a bar, but I wouldn't think that's what you're looking for.

You could send a carriage to collect them.

On 01/09/2021 at 13:44, KnightswoodBear said:

Redhurst is a good shout although since they’ve refurbished it might be too busy on the Saturday night for a quiet one. Definitely less busy than pubs around Hampden though

28 minutes ago, pthardie said:

Redhurst is a good shout although since they’ve refurbished it might be too busy on the Saturday night for a quiet one. Definitely less busy than pubs around Hampden though

Aye, I've not been in since it's been done up, but I drove past a few weeks ago during the warm spell we had and it was absolutely heaving.