Hearts v Hibernian Cinch Premiership Decider

9 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If it was preplanned then asking GMS to do 90 minutes of work in 60 minutes before bringing on a fresh Ginnelly isn’t an intrinsically bad idea.

I reckon the dip toward the end had more to do with Smith being taken off destabilising us at the back  and given that he was injured on international duty I’m assuming that was a necessary change as opposed to a voluntary one

people who followed on TV or radio may have more detail on that

The point isn't that it was an intrinsically bad idea, it's that subs should reflect how the game is actually going rather than preconceptions. GMS was really lively in the few minutes before he was subbed and if I was a Hibs fan I'd have been very happy to see him go off. Why not wait another 5 minutes?

1 minute ago, DC92 said:

The point isn't that it was an intrinsically bad idea, it's that subs should reflect how the game is actually going rather than preconceptions. GMS was really lively in the few minutes before he was subbed and if I was a Hibs fan I'd have been very happy to see him go off. Why not wait another 5 minutes?

True but if, for the sake of argument, we’re assuming that this was all preplanned then we have to ask whether GMS would have been operating at quite that work rate if he was starting his last half hour as opposed to completing his last 5 minutes. 

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

The subs felt like they were pre-planned by Neilson rather than based on how the game was going.

We were well on top when GMS and Woodburn came off and both looked threatening. Lost our way after that.

Boyce would have been a better candidate for substitution and Gnanduillet coming on might have given us a different dimension.

Hibs are a decent team and had chances of their own but that's a disappointing result in the end.

I think Woodburn was stuggling a bit and the Smith sub ruined the plans for Gnando to come on.

Boyce was busy as per but not much came off for him - he was well nullified by the ref at times.

Decent Hearts performance and overall the better team though either team could've won it. Thought both GMS and Hanlon had won it for us but Macey stepped in.

48 minutes ago, Zing. said:

Thought it was a decent game for a 0-0. We missed Doyle-Hayes in the midfield. Good to have Hanlon back fit again though, makes a huge difference. 

Indeed, he almost got the winner. Denied by Macey though.

3 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

I think Woodburn was stuggling a bit and the Smith sub ruined the plans for Gnando to come on.

That’s woodburn’s second competitive  match of the season 

he got 60 minutes at tannadice and 70 today 

if this is him not yet firing on all cylinders then he could be frightening by the time he’s up to speed 

No' bad game for a nil-nil - could have gone either way, and d draw seems about right.

Would have left Woodburn on if he was fit enough to play on.

Quite liked Barry McKay's hair - finally a winger who is also a poseur - looked quite sharp.

Big Beni was immense - I like Haring, but he's not much help to us coming forward.

If the likes of Moore and Devlin are an improvement on Haring, Halliday, and Halket, get them in.

We bit tame for a derby, and I think we can all agree that the ref was a cock. 

A decent 0-0 I thought. A tale of two impassable goalkeepers. Just so long as ours remains slightly more impassable than theirs over the long run I'll be happy.

That Baningime looks decent, but I'd wonder what he'd be like if the opposing team wasn't prone to giving him acres of space to play with whenever he gets the ball.

These Sunday midday kickoffs do turn the Roseburn end atmosphere down a couple of notches. It's good, but it's not quite the same without coins, car keys, pyro and/or coconuts being flung onto the pitch willy-nilly and without chinged up arseholes having toddler tantrums whenever the ref awards a foul to Hearts. We need a couple of derbies scheduled for Friday nights on a bank holiday weekend to balance them out, and to justify the Police Scotland footballing budget.

Edited by Aim Here

38 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

True but if, for the sake of argument, we’re assuming that this was all preplanned then we have to ask whether GMS would have been operating at quite that work rate if he was starting his last half hour as opposed to completing his last 5 minutes. 

Possibly, but he doesn't have to be on for the full half hour. If we'd waited to see if his effectiveness faded over the next few minutes, then fair enough. Making changes is always a gamble in some respects, but it feels like a more unnecessary gamble when you've got the momentum and you're taking off one of the main contributors to that momentum while they're in full flow.

I agree that Smith going off also disrupted the balance. It still seems strange to me that we didn't target a RWB in the window given that he's not especially effective there and we have no senior alternatives.

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

Possibly, but he doesn't have to be on for the full half hour. If we'd waited to see if his effectiveness faded over the next few minutes, then fair enough. Making changes is always a gamble in some respects, but it feels like a more unnecessary gamble when you've got the momentum and you're taking off one of the main contributors to that momentum while they're in full flow.

I agree that Smith going off also disrupted the balance. It still seems strange to me that we didn't target a RWB in the window given that he's not especially effective there and we have no senior alternatives.

Were  you at   the game or  watching  on  TV?

From  section B it  appeared that Ginnelly started very  strong so the  gamble at least broke even but I know  that things  can look  different  from elsewhere