Cornwall

welshbairn

Taking advantage of cheap direct flights to Newquay from Inverness and going for a few days in a couple of weeks. Booked a hotel in Newquay but it's easy to cancel if anyone has any suggestions for somewhere more pleasant. Just looking for somewhere with a good pub and decent restaurant by the sea. Slightly concerned that Newquay is now the highest Covid hotspot in the UK, over 2000/100,000 but they've just had a festival, bank holiday and mad summer parties so hopefully it will have calmed down when I get there.

• 7 months later...

Bumping this because we are going to Padstow in a month or so (yes, the Bank Holiday weekend is when we get there). Anyone any tips for things to do or places to go?

I am quite happy to survive on Cornish pasties and scones with jam, then cream (the correct approach) for a week but don't think my wife is as keen.

17 hours ago, Stu said:

Bumping this because we are going to Padstow in a month or so (yes, the Bank Holiday weekend is when we get there). Anyone any tips for things to do or places to go?

I am quite happy to survive on Cornish pasties and scones with jam, then cream (the correct approach) for a week but don't think my wife is as keen.

Drink the beer, loads of good ones.

18 hours ago, Stu said:

Take the ferry across to Rock where there's a couple of pubs and restaurants instead of making Rick Stein even richer.

Went for the first time last Summer. Fish I had was bang average. Maybe only gets a good name because the rest of the fish in England is so shit (compared to Scotland anyway). 

Loved it though. Walk as much as you can if you are able to (the coastal path round past Padstow is great fun). Trevone has a great wee pub/shack that serves food. Sharps brewery just up from Rock, near Padstow, worth a visit. Some underrated golf too. 

5 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Went for the first time last Summer. Fish I had was bang average. Maybe only gets a good name because the rest of the fish in England is so shit (compared to Scotland anyway). 

Loved it though. Walk as much as you can if you are able to (the coastal path round past Padstow is great fun). Trevone has a great wee pub/shack that serves food. Sharps brewery just up from Rock, near Padstow, worth a visit. Some underrated golf too. 

That's the plan if I no longer need the boot for my broken ankle by then!

• 2 years later...

Giving this a bump. We’re thinking of a family holiday in Cornwall this summer. Any suggestions of a good place/area to base ourselves? Also any recommendations of good campsites?

On 07/04/2024 at 22:20, Adamski said:

Giving this a bump. We’re thinking of a family holiday in Cornwall this summer. Any suggestions of a good place/area to base ourselves? Also any recommendations of good campsites?

In Devon, and not a campsite, but we stayed here in 2022 and really enjoyed it.  More suitable for younger kids (ours were 8 and 4 at the time).  https://www.torridgehouse.co.uk/

There are two theme parks aimed at families a bit further north on the A39.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2024 at 22:20, Adamski said:

Don’t bother. It’s a 10/12 hr drive away, populated by fake incomers, it’s wildly expensive and you’ll find yourself getting ripped off left right and centre. Lovely scenery though and if you could guarantee the weather, you’d be back every year.  

For the same experience (with added Tennents 😋)  just get yourself on the Dunoon ferry and save yourself the drive down the M6.