Clyde vs Cove

4 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

It was a good battling performance from us today, although I'll reserve judgement on that formation for now. The fact that we nicked an early goal was perfect for our defensive set up. If it had stayed 0-0 for longer I'm sure more fans would have got edgy at our lack to attacking, barring a couple of good counters  by Cunningham. We were actually a bit lucky Cove didn't score in the first 2 minutes which would have made for a different game.

The pass from Balatoni for the first goal was a thing of beauty, although Cove will obviously be annoyed a low pass straight down the middle took their whole defence out.

I understand Cove's fans frustrations with Gourlay will mainly be from previous matches but blaming him for today is very harsh. He possibly could have held the second, though Goodwillie had tried to dink it over him, but he was left in two one-on-one situations by his awful defence. In reality, Goodwillie shouldn't have even given him a chance at the second goal.

Aside from the incident with Elsdon grappling in the box in the first half, we were also lucky Nicoll didn't concede a penalty. Yule thankfully high stepped away from a ridiculously unnecessary and useless slide from Nicoll, when if he'd just stood there or stepped normally he'd have been wiped out after crossing the ball. I was impressed by Yule but thankfully he disappeared a bit in the second half.

Scotland games (and the Challenge Cup) give us a 2 week break so hopefully Rumsby can recover in that time, though I have my doubts, along with Cuddihy & Splaine. I still fear for us without Elsdon anyway, who's been impressive so far.

I'm looking forward to seeing both Clyde goals again especially the second. My first reaction was definitely he fumbled it and should have held onto it. Gourlay's reaction I think backs up my thoughts. He looked dispondent. 

Cove fans have seen more than enough to know McKenzie is undoubtedly our number 1. But PH seems to be the only one who thinks otherwise.

50 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

It was a good battling performance from us today, although I'll reserve judgement on that formation for now. The fact that we nicked an early goal was perfect for our defensive set up. If it had stayed 0-0 for longer I'm sure more fans would have got edgy at our lack to attacking, barring a couple of good counters  by Cunningham. We were actually a bit lucky Cove didn't score in the first 2 minutes which would have made for a different game.

The pass from Balatoni for the first goal was a thing of beauty, although Cove will obviously be annoyed a low pass straight down the middle took their whole defence out.

I understand Cove's fans frustrations with Gourlay will mainly be from previous matches but blaming him for today is very harsh. He possibly could have held the second, though Goodwillie had tried to dink it over him, but he was left in two one-on-one situations by his awful defence. In reality, Goodwillie shouldn't have even given him a chance at the second goal.

Aside from the incident with Elsdon grappling in the box in the first half, we were also lucky Nicoll didn't concede a penalty. Yule thankfully high stepped away from a ridiculously unnecessary and useless slide from Nicoll, when if he'd just stood there or stepped normally he'd have been wiped out after crossing the ball. I was impressed by Yule but thankfully he disappeared a bit in the second half.

Scotland games (and the Challenge Cup) give us a 2 week break so hopefully Rumsby can recover in that time, though I have my doubts, along with Cuddihy & Splaine. I still fear for us without Elsdon anyway, who's been impressive so far.

Same story every week with Nicoll and wild, reckless challenges.

Fair play to whoever does the match report on the Cove website. Every week this chap manages to outdo himself with the Cove bias. The type of thing that should be posted by a bitter fan on P&B leading to a torrent of abuse from the winning team, not something that should be published on an official website for the world to see. Embarassing stuff!

https://coverangersfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/CRFC-Hospitality-2021-22.pdf

Looking at making a day of it at the next game against Cove away.  I like the look of their hospitality packages.  But interesting to note that at the start, they have disrespected 5 teams in the league with their assigning of Category 1 and Category 2 pricing structure.  We are indeed the lesser category 2!

Couldn’t make the game today. Might be a theme this year unfortunately. I’ll tell you what though. Staring at FlashScore and Twitter is way more nerve racking than actually being at the game. Was crapping myself when it went to 2-1. Literally on the edge and of my seat with my head in my hands till the final whistle. Great result. After watching the league cup games I’d have bitten anyone’s hand off for 7 points at this stage. 

That was nerve wracking and enjoyable as well today! Had to watch it from the Laptop today due to self isolating but was still jumping about!
Night and day from last week. Yes we weren't amazing but the shape was much better and we played some decent stuff in amongst the literally throwing bodies in the way to defend.

5 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

Watching the highlights, I think any criticism of Gourlay, for those two goals alone, is a tad harsh.

Yeah seeing it again on the replay the 2nd goal he can't be faulted for. He blocks it from very close range and it falls DGW's way. No fumble as I initially thought.

Vigurs though shouldn't be losing possession cheaply like that.

1st goal was a very good through ball and composed finish

12 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing both Clyde goals again especially the second. My first reaction was definitely he fumbled it and should have held onto it. Gourlay's reaction I think backs up my thoughts. He looked dispondent. 

Cove fans have seen more than enough to know McKenzie is undoubtedly our number 1. But PH seems to be the only one who thinks otherwise.

I have got to disagree, I think he did well to block the first effort, he read that DGW was trying a little dink and got his hand up to block, he was never going to grab hold of the ball. His reactions I think  after the goal was more down to his frustration at the defending leading up to the goal.

14 minutes ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

I have got to disagree, I think he did well to block the first effort, he read that DGW was trying a little dink and got his hand up to block, he was never going to grab hold of the ball. His reactions I think  after the goal was more down to his frustration at the defending leading up to the goal.

Yep agreed after seeing the highlights

Went as a neutral, (Broadwood is just 10 mins up the road from me) as the Ayr game was off.  Random thoughts:

- if Cove score in the first couple of minutes as they should it's a totally different game;

- McAllister looks an absolute shadow of his old self and was surprised to see him stay on the pitch;

- Liked Blair Yule (though he had absolutely no support).  Suspect he may be destined for higher things come January;

- Thought the Cove pen was harsh, especially compared to a couple of other shouts;

- Red card was a pet bugbear of mine.  Those sort of fouls are just as much cheating as diving, yet are considered 'good' play.  Plus a red card is the wrong punishment.  I'd change the law and give an automatic penalty *instead* of the card, even if it's outside the box.  That way, you are replacing the denial of a goalscoring opportunity with another goalscoring opportunity, but the balance and flow of the game aren't disrupted by the red;

- Suspect both teams nearer the bottom than the top of the league come May.

34 minutes ago, Rector said:

Went as a neutral, (Broadwood is just 10 mins up the road from me) as the Ayr game was off.  Random thoughts:

- if Cove score in the first couple of minutes as they should it's a totally different game;

- McAllister looks an absolute shadow of his old self and was surprised to see him stay on the pitch;

- Liked Blair Yule (though he had absolutely no support).  Suspect he may be destined for higher things come January;

- Thought the Cove pen was harsh, especially compared to a couple of other shouts;

- Red card was a pet bugbear of mine.  Those sort of fouls are just as much cheating as diving, yet are considered 'good' play.  Plus a red card is the wrong punishment.  I'd change the law and give an automatic penalty *instead* of the card, even if it's outside the box.  That way, you are replacing the denial of a goalscoring opportunity with another goalscoring opportunity, but the balance and flow of the game aren't disrupted by the red;

- Suspect both teams nearer the bottom than the top of the league come May.

- if Cove score in the first couple of minutes as they should it's a totally different game;

Agreed goals change games. We certainly started strong and were in the ascendency. DGW took his chances well when they came.

Agreed. When we signed him he was already on the decline. Has popped up with important goals but we could have recruited better. He's a 6 yard poacher and at times can hold the ball up. He's 34 now and not good enough as a regular starter for a team with aspirations of automatic promotion or playoffs at a minimum. We're due to bring in a striker in the coming days/weeks. 

Blair has loads of energy, composure and came to us from Arbroath. He's certainly championship quality but doubt he'll move.

True.

- Red card was a pet bugbear of mine.  Those sort of fouls are just as much cheating as diving, yet are considered 'good' play.  Plus a red card is the wrong punishment.  I'd change the law and give an automatic penalty *instead* of the card, even if it's outside the box.  That way, you are replacing the denial of a goalscoring opportunity with another goalscoring opportunity, but the balance and flow of the game aren't disrupted by the red;

Could have been offside but did get pulled back. Professional foul good for Clyde but frustrating for an opposition fan.

- Suspect both teams nearer the bottom than the top of the league come May.

Oooft. Cove nearer the bottom of the league would be a shock and I'm probably not alone in saying that. We were missing Fraser Fyvie, Shay Logan, Harry Milne and our left winger Masson is just returning from injury. 4 big players for us and PH frustratingly isn't playing our number 1 keeper. Granted we have some dross backups for our starting 11. 

Nice to hear neutral thoughts 👍

Edited by CoveRangers1922