UEFA Europa League 21/22

ahemps

• 2 weeks later...

Stunning game between West Ham and the hipster's choice, Eintracht frankfurt. Bowen hitting the woodwork twice including an overhead kick that would have brought the house down had it went in.

Frankfurt look great too and this would have been a truly great final. I can't wait for the second leg of this. 

I said it last year, but this is the best European club competition. It feels genuinely open and competitive with some exciting teams. 

I realise it's hard to imagine being in that situation with the atmosphere, pressure etc, and that Cresswell isn't a centre back, but I just cannot understand what would possess a player to do what Cresswell did.  As soon as you put the hand on the shoulder and grab the shirt you know the player is going to go down, and that with VAR you are probably going to be sent off. If you are winning and there's not long left then fine, it's worth it. But already a goal down in the tie with 75 minutes to play away from home you effectively kill the tie by getting sent-off. I'd be fuming if I was his team mate.

7 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I realise it's hard to imagine being in that situation with the atmosphere, pressure etc, and that Cresswell isn't a centre back, but I just cannot understand what would possess a player to do what Cresswell did.  As soon as you put the hand on the shoulder and grab the shirt you know the player is going to go down, and that with VAR you are probably going to be sent off. If you are winning and there's not long left then fine, it's worth it. But already a goal down in the tie with 75 minutes to play away from home you effectively kill the tie by getting sent-off. I'd be fuming if I was his team mate.

Yeah, he’d have been better letting them score. Still time to get it back with all 11 on the pitch but now with 10 men? Games done barring them doing a Real Madrid.