Montrose vs Dumbarton

4 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

STICK A 100 QUID ON THE SUPER MO..WE HAVE NO CHANCE AT THIS JUNCTURE OF THE SEASON.WE MAY GET BETTER AS THE SEASON PROGRESSES AND THE MO ARE THE STANDARD WE SHOULD BE AIMING FOR.

IN THE WORDS OF VICTOR MELDREW....' I DON'T BELIEVE IT..'

Well it’s a victory in the end but I can’t help but feel that utterly pathetic 2nd half performance has slightly tainted it. God knows what we were thinking, you’d have thought we were defending a 2 goal lead against Rangers or Celtic the way we were playing/time wasting. I mean it worked in the end but we were very, very lucky, open goals were missed and all sorts. 

I think we need to get Pignatiello out the team asap, the guy struggles to complete a 5 yard pass and his little trickler of a shot when we had a rare break away in the 2nd half was criminal when he had a man in acres of space on the right. He may well be a decent right back but he’s never a midfielder. 

A lovely 3 points in the end up but it required a huge slice of luck and Faz has left me with more questions than answers after that eye bleeder of a 2nd half.

I hope the stewards have plenty of sawdust on hand because there must been a few burst blood vessels in that home end. The angriest fans in the lower league without a doubt. Someone needs to start punting weed up there. 

1 minute ago, the snudge said:

That is 'bonus points' territory for us. Delighted at 3 points away. 

Not a chance. Montrose have a decent team and clearly have a great manager but come on. A fellow part-time team with similar resources to ourselves? I’m expecting us to compete with that, despite the purple patch they are going through!

We didn't play well today. Neither did Montrose for the first 45 minutes. The 2 goals were pretty much all we did going forward  2nd one was a really well timed run by McLean and a nice ball across the face of the 6 yard box.

2nd half we were garbage and invited Montrose to attack us. Which they did.

First penalty shout in the first half looked like it should have been given. 2nd one fans were shouting for didn't look a penalty. The first of the 2 shouts in the 2nd half would have been soft - defender did raise his hands but there wasn't much of a push. Both defender and forward misjudged the ball and the defender was quicker to change his movement. Absolutely no issue with the one that was given.

No lack of good luck on a couple of occasions  hitting the post then skewing the rebound wide. A few lucky bounces in the box. We'll take the 3 points but we need to improve. Still nowhere near a 90 minute performance.

I didn't like McLean's gamesmanship. No need to roll back onto the park when he's down. That's just asking the ref to book you. We were wasting time and if I was neutral then I'd say that you hate to see it. As a Sons fan we just had to see the game out.

The tackle on Paton when the ref had already blown for a foul. Montrose player jumped into the tackle a bit. It was borderline nasty - clearly from a frustrated Mo player - but that's the kind of incident where somebody picks up a sore one, players react and start doing stupid things.

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Well it’s a victory in the end but I can’t help but feel that utterly pathetic 2nd half performance has slightly tainted it. God knows what we were thinking, you’d have thought we were defending a 2 goal lead against Rangers or Celtic the way we were playing/time wasting. I mean it worked in the end but we were very, very lucky, open goals were missed and all sorts. 

I think we need to get Pignatiello out the team asap, the guy struggles to complete a 5 yard pass and his little trickler of a shot when we had a rare break away in the 2nd half was criminal when he had a man in acres of space on the right. He may well be a decent right back but he’s never a midfielder. 

A lovely 3 points in the end up but it required a huge slice of luck and Faz has left me with more questions than answers after that eye bleeder of a 2nd half.

I hope the stewards have plenty of sawdust on hand because there must been a few burst blood vessels in that home end. The angriest fans in the lower league without a doubt. Someone needs to start punting weed up there. 

I agree with almost every word of this, but it's better to be keich for the most part and win away from home rather than lose, that's for sure.  However, and it's a massive however, you don't get too many results like that over a season.

The pattern of that game followed so, so many of the last couple of seasons; inviting teams on and playing defensive roulette whilst the front players mostly chased long punts.  And yet it's a new Manager and almost a completely new squad this season so how can this be ?  The key word is 'almost', and whilst BBPF name-checks Piagnatiello above, I would suggest withdrawing Stuart Carswell from the starting eleven.  Carsy has now been that long at Dumbarton that he has become conditioned to an ultra-defensive psyche, and it is IMO hindering our performances.

We were off the pace in the first half. Too many passes not finding their man. Dumbarton were hard and up for it and because we were below par, I didn't grudge them their half-time advantage.
Second half, Montrose dominated but couldn't find the net and that failure cost us the points. Yes, the referee was appalling and the less said about the opposition the better.

It simply doesn't matter how much is stacked against us, there's no point greetin' about it. The Mo need to defend better against set pieces and get the ball in the back of the net, plain and simple... if only!

Dumbarton pretty much muscled us out of the game. Fought better for every ball. The anger mentioned above was directed at the referee.  That was the most appalling display I have seen. First goal the Montrose player clearly won the ball. It doesn't help when our entire defence switch off before the ball goes out of play and let the guy in to score.

Then the time waisting started in the 46th minute. OK, 2-0 up away from home you take your time but not take the pi$$..

Bad day at the office. We move on.

6 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

The anger mentioned above was directed at the referee.  That was the most appalling display I have seen.

In the second half the referee was giving Montrose absolutely everything! It must be quite hard to see that through a sea of tears and snotters mind you.

I've never seen us play like we did in that second half before. It was horrible to watch but it was effective at the end of the day. We were one of those teams that infuriate the opponent's and their fans and I can't say I blame the Montrose fans for being so raging. Not sure how I feel seeing the sons win like that.

Terrible first half from Montrose. It was definitely not a free kick that led to the first goal, but the ball into the box should have been defended better. 

Montrose were far better in second half, probably should have had more than the one penalty that was given. Unlucky to hit the post and Lewis Milne being unable to do anything with the rebound. 

Can’t agree with the comment that the ref gave Montrose everything in the second half, it was the worst refereeing performance I have witnessed in a long long time 

Most of what I would have said has been covered, but succinctly, we deserved no points and got none. Set piece defending really needs work. Dumbarton look okay, not brilliant, but fairly solid, and with the type of 2008-2010 era Annan backline that is a nightmare to play against. 

(On the bright side, 10 points from 15 is still a decent start. At the risk sounding like a broken record though, we still need an out and out finisher....)

Montrose fans might not want to hear this but I actually thought you massively missed the big lad Rusty today. If he had been in that team I reckon it would have been a different outcome, you just didn’t seem to have anyone to get on the end of balls into the box, whether that be from open play or set pieces. He always seems to play a blinder against us as well. 

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Montrose fans might not want to hear this but I actually thought you massively missed the big lad Rusty today. If he had been in that team I reckon it would have been a different outcome, you just didn’t seem to have anyone to get on the end of balls into the box, whether that be from open play or set pieces. He always seems to play a blinder against us as well. 

Have been saying it for a few years now. We are a natural finisher away from being serious contenders in this league.

22 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We really do need an out and out striker, maybe not Rusty, would rather have players who actually want to play for the club