Montrose vs Dumbarton

1 hour ago, Brummo said:

We were off the pace in the first half. Too many passes not finding their man. Dumbarton were hard and up for it and because we were below par, I didn't grudge them their half-time advantage.
Second half, Montrose dominated but couldn't find the net and that failure cost us the points. Yes, the referee was appalling and the less said about the opposition the better.

It simply doesn't matter how much is stacked against us, there's no point greetin' about it. The Mo need to defend better against set pieces and get the ball in the back of the net, plain and simple... if only!

1 hour ago, The Gable Endie said:

I can’t say I’m the biggest fan of Sam Ramsbottom. Took the piss the whole game.

54 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Airdrie were time wasting as soon as they went 2 up against us a couple of weeks back, it's part of the game you need to deal with.

Was just about to say this... since Ian Murray left Dumbarton we haven't done enough of the "dirty" side of things. Nice to see Faz bringing back the kind of things every other team seems to do against us! I also enjoy that Faz has introduced the multi-ball system at home too. Well overdue that we returned the favour to other teams who have used it effectively against us for the last few years.

Frustrating game today first half we were poor 2 crap goals too lose left us a mountain to climb in the second period. Dumbarton were pretty well organised but the time wasting and the play acting was piss poor to see but you just have to get on with it ref did f**k all so they just kept doing it.

I would like to think their will be a striker coming in the next couple days before the window shuts we badly need someone up top who can score goals and help the team out.

Been saying it for ages but playing without a striker will bite us on the arse .. and today was the day. I have no doubt that SP knows this and will be trying to solve the problem. Maybe expected Rusty to stay and got a surprise when he jumped ship? As for the game .. Dumbarton nicked a fluke of a first (looked like Buchanan kicked it off his own face) from a free kick awarded for a non existent foul by an absolute bellend of a ref. The second was a bit of decent skill (albeit Matty fkkd up) and a composed finish. After that it was one way traffic and the time wasting was off the scale and the ref allowed it to go on and on .. and he actually contributed to it .. the time he took to book Carswell was embarrassing .. as was the time he allowed the wee guy who was substituted to walk off the park. All that said .. we were poor and got what we deserved so well done Dumbarton on doing a professional job on us.

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

Was just about to say this... since Ian Murray left Dumbarton we haven't done enough of the "dirty" side of things. Nice to see Faz bringing back the kind of things every other team seems to do against us! I also enjoy that Faz has introduced the multi-ball system at home too. Well overdue that we returned the favour to other teams who have used it effectively against us for the last few years.

I was going to say that our performance today reminded me of Murray's Airdrie.

Clinical when the chances came our way, then shithoused our way through the second-half as we dropped deeper and deeper. We defended our goal well to be fair, as torturous as it was to watch, and Sam barely had a save to make.

Anyway, I'm delighted with the three points. That's all that really matters. Ol' Ross MacLean as a striker was a surprise, but it proved to be a very welcome one. Him and Kalvin caused Montrose problems together, and Orsi looked a different player with someone alongside him.

The referee was abysmal. He was inconsistent, didn't communicate with the players well and having given Montrose absolutely nowt in the first-half, proceeded to give them absolutely everything they claimed for in the second. He looked well out of his depth.

Montrose, much like ourselves, are probably a goalscorer/natural striker shy of being a really good team. As it is I still think they're a smashing side who will finish above us, even if we out Angus-Azzuri'd them today. 

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Airdrie were time wasting as soon as they went 2 up against us a couple of weeks back, it's part of the game you need to deal with.

Two wrongs don't make a right Moonster.  Airdrie keeper Max Currie was deservedly pilloried for his performance at The Rock and Ramsbottom's antics today were every bit as embarrassing and produced yet another needless yellow card.  McLean was again involved in some nonsense too.

Game management is a legitimate part of football but deliberate time-wasting and going to ground easily is not. 

4 hours ago, mo83 said:

Frustrating game today first half we were poor 2 crap goals too lose left us a mountain to climb in the second period. Dumbarton were pretty well organised but the time wasting and the play acting was piss poor to see but you just have to get on with it ref did f**k all so they just kept doing it.

I would like to think their will be a striker coming in the next couple days before the window shuts we badly need someone up top who can score goals and help the team out.

Time the mo went for Kane Hester. Local lad and a proven finisher. Ok he did something daft a while back but that's done and dusted now and can't see him making the same mistake again. Am sure he'd put away the chances the team are creating. On another note what's happened to Rennie ??

53 minutes ago, ticketyboo said:

Time the mo went for Kane Hester. Local lad and a proven finisher. Ok he did something daft a while back but that's done and dusted now and can't see him making the same mistake again. Am sure he'd put away the chances the team are creating. On another note what's happened to Rennie ??

Not so sure about that...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/prosecutors-claim-hibs-striker-doidge-was-stamped-on-in-cup-tie-betting-con-3190652

7 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Two wrongs don't make a right Moonster.  Airdrie keeper Max Currie was deservedly pilloried for his performance at The Rock and Ramsbottom's antics today were every bit as embarrassing and produced yet another needless yellow card.  McLean was again involved in some nonsense too.

Game management is a legitimate part of football but deliberate time-wasting and going to ground easily is not. 

I'm no fan of players diving but I'll accept deliberate time wasting when we're 2-0 up every single week.

7 hours ago, ticketyboo said:

I would take Kane Hester right now aswell but he is under contract at Elgin and am pretty sure they wouldn't let him go on the cheap and can't see us paying a massive fee to get him as much as I'd like us too,be great to see him in a Mo shirt at some point in his career though.

14 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The tackle on Paton when the ref had already blown for a foul. Montrose player jumped into the tackle a bit. It was borderline nasty - clearly from a frustrated Mo player - but that's the kind of incident where somebody picks up a sore one, players react and start doing stupid things.

This is so true. I was amazed at how composed the players remained in spite of the shockingly inept performance by the match officials.

Fair play to the good number of Dumbarton fans who while they no doubt were delighted with the win, were less comfortable with the excessive theatrics and time-wasting that for long periods of the second half in particular, ruined the game as a spectacle. It was literally anti-football, which any half-decent match officials should have dealt with rather than making a bad situation even worse, which is what their abysmal non-performance resulted in yesterday.

If a bit of gamesmanship is what it takes for us to scoop a win with this squad at a place like Links Park right now then I’ll take it, no issues.

I’m a classic football fan though, so reserve the right to squeal like a pig if the circumstances are reversed later in the season.

I was there as a neutral. Fleming told the Dumbarton fans that Buchanan apologised for the opening goal. My memory was that he tried to control the ball coming over his head but instead of controlling he made like a double contact with ball and it looped over Fleming.

Dumbarton won the match in the first 45 but they were awful in the second. It was clear from early in the second half that it was going to be the Sons day but the supporters are rightfully concerned about that second half performance. It was brutal.

Here's Osri scoring the second...

Screenshot_2021-08-29-10-15-24-25_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.thumb.jpg.1740bb4a22dde95a69d76877f1742a66.jpg

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Dumbarton won the match in the first 45 but they were awful in the second. It was clear from early in the second half that it was going to be the Sons day but the supporters are rightfully concerned about that second half performance. It was brutal.

Someone is claiming above that some of us are unhappy about the way we won which isn’t really the case for me. I couldn’t give a f**k how we win. It’s just a serious concern that the manager thought our gameplan in the 2nd half was the way to go, on another day we will be seriously punished for it. Yesterday required a huge slice on luck on 3 or 4 occasions in that 2nd half.

Naturally as you near the latter stages of the game, where you are 2-0 up, away from home against the league leaders, you will sit a bit deeper and soak up some pressure. That’s fine. What we done was go out in the 2nd half and just invite attack after attack, there was absolutely no need whatsoever. We looked dangerous going forward in the first half and restricted Montrose to very few chances. We didn’t need to camp in our own half and in the end up we were very lucky to get away with it. We basically gave far too much respect to Montrose and I didn’t expect the shitebag tactics from Faz. 

Am I complaining said tactics worked out in the end yesterday? No. Do I want to see them deployed again? Absolutely not, I’d rather see us kill the game off than depend on the opposition squandering easy chances and missing open goals.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'm no fan of players diving but I'll accept deliberate time wasting when we're 2-0 up every single week.

Was I happy when Airdrie kept the ball in the corner for what felt like an infinite amount of time last season? No. Did I grudgingly respect the display of utter shithousery? Yes.

59 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Someone is claiming above that some of us are unhappy about the way we won which isn’t really the case for me. I couldn’t give a f**k how we win. It’s just a serious concern that the manager thought our gameplan in the 2nd half was the way to go, on another day we will be seriously punished for it. Yesterday required a huge slice on luck on 3 or 4 occasions in that 2nd half.

Naturally as you near the latter stages of the game, where you are 2-0 up, away from home against the league leaders, you will sit a bit deeper and soak up some pressure. That’s fine. What we done was go out in the 2nd half and just invite attack after attack, there was absolutely no need whatsoever. We looked dangerous going forward in the first half and restricted Montrose to very few chances. We didn’t need to camp in our own half and in the end up we were very lucky to get away with it. We basically gave far too much respect to Montrose and I didn’t expect the shitebag tactics from Faz. 

Am I complaining said tactics worked out in the end yesterday? No. Do I want to see them deployed again? Absolutely not, I’d rather see us kill the game off than depend on the opposition squandering easy chances and missing open goals.

How can we be certain that these were Faz's tactics ?  Maybe we just didn't have the players willing or capable of taking the game to Montrose in the scond-half ?