Best 12" Single

I didn't buy them in the early 80s cos they were just a marketing gimmick to get you to pay more money for the same thing, like picture discs. Apart from A Promise by the Bunnymen cos the cover was so good. Then someone  (Factory?) realised you could use the extra playing time creatively. My favourite was the New York mix of This Charming Man by The Smiths, which the band hated apparently.

I think I sold it to get money for fags. Thatcher's Britain right there, kids.

Edited by Academically Deficient
Spelling

2 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

I didn't buy them in the early 80s cos they were just a marketing gimmick to get you to pay more money for the same thing, like picture discs. Apart from A Promise by the Bunnymen cos the cover was so good. Then someone  (Factory?) realised you could use the extra playing time creatively. My favourite was the New York mix of This Charming Man by The Smiths, which the band hated apparently.

The 12" of This Charming Man was much coveted because it had the track Wonderful Woman which was never on anything else. The Smiths 12 inchers were always an event because you knew you were going to get 3 great tracks every time. 

11 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

I was the same, even earlier. I used to wait until the limited edition picture sleeves and coloured vinyl had sold out before buying a record.

That showed them!

12” was my format of choice in the 80s, driven by my initial purchase of “The Crown” by Gary Byrd and the subsequent realisation that they fitted in better with LP storage systems and filled up C90 tapes better.

11 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

I didn't buy them in the early 80s cos they were just a marketing gimmick to get you to pay more money for the same thing

My most disappointing purchase was the 12” of “Trapped” by Colonel Abrams, which had the standard radio version on side A and, on the B side, an “instrumental” version which was simply the radio version with the main vocal track removed and an “a capella” version which was the just the original vocal track on its own. I can remember feeling so pissed off.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was the same, even earlier. I used to wait until the limited edition picture sleeves and coloured vinyl had sold out before buying a record.

That showed them!

Wise.

Although it was impossible to get  Dickies record on black vinyl. If anybody has one, it's probably worth more than the coloured ones. At least 50p.

The Stranglers pink ep had specially "lumps" on the vinyl which I remember being impressed by for some reason.

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

Wise.

Although it was impossible to get  Dickies record on black vinyl. If anybody has one, it's probably worth more than the coloured ones. At least 50p.

The Stranglers pink ep had specially "lumps" on the vinyl which I remember being impressed by for some reason.

I could be 10s of thousands richer but I still have my integrity, which is priceless.